SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191801 - 03/22/01 12:01 AM SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Yesterday I've attended the SD1 public demo here in Rome; I've tried to send my first impressions in as I got home, but I was so tired that I posted to the wrong forum... Well, here it goes. Specs first:
the SD1 is 64 notes multitimbral, has 48 Mb of ROM sounds and 16 Mb of RAM (where it can load .wav, .msp and .ins files, to be used both as solo instruments or for the rhytm parts). It comes with 307 styles, 109 of them on flash memory (rewritable); has a 6 Giga HD, a computer interface (PC and Mac), 13 Arabic scales, 3 digital multieffects, a vocalizer/harmonizer (you can plug a mic in, sing and sound like a male/female chorus in real time). Can sample at 16 bit-44.1 KHz, has a 16 tracks 150.000 notes sequencer, a 240 x 128 backlit LCD, 4 outputs, a video interface (optional) and weighs 16.5 kg (or 36.3 lbs).
Now my impressions: the instrument looks nice, with a silver-gray color and even the floppy disk (on the top right) is well integrated with the overall design; the display, however, doesn't seem at the same level as the one I've seen on the VA7.
The styles: they are overall terrific, the most natural I've ever heard; I especially liked the Slow Swing, the Big Band, the Rhytm and Blues (just like a real band playing onstage) and, overall, I would say that they can keep your fingers glued to the keyboard for hours. The SD1 has two distinct drum sections: section A is based on sampled drum hits triggered by midi notes (as usual), while section B is composed of sampled rhytm patterns; the two sections work in a very well integrated manner, with section B overtaking in more "exposed" parts (like intros, breaks, fill-ins and endings): this gives an amazing feeling of realism.
Now the sounds: they are mostly good, compared to other arranger keyboards; sounds I liked most: drums and percussions, basses, acoustic guitars, voice, accordions, flutes.
Other sounds were less remarkable; I cannot say for sure (lack of a direct comparison) but I would say the the VA7 has better electric pianos and the PSR9000 maybe has better organs, but is difficult to be sure. The acoustic piano (stereo) is in the same league as the one on the VA7 and the PSR9000, but it was demoed with very fast scales, so I could judge only the attack portion of the sound. All in all, I would say that this a terrific instrument, almost intimidating: I think that one has to ask if he will really be able to dig it or will just scratch the surface.
I have been given a lot of paper stuff (and even a CD with 16 songs); so, if someone has questions, even on technical issues, I hope I'll be able to answer.
Happy playing to everyone.

#191802 - 03/22/01 12:29 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Dreamer,

thanks for your report. Do you know if SD1 will be demoed in Milan and when?

Any comments on the user friendliness of the sequecer recording?

Happy playing to you all.

------------------
Amelio

#191803 - 03/22/01 12:43 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Amelio,

The SD-1 WAS demonstrated in the Novotel in
Milano on march 19th !!! I thought you knew because I emailed yuo this information about
10 days ago. Apparently you did not get it which is a shame. However I am sure that the
keyboars will now soon be in some of the major shops in Milan as well.

john.

#191804 - 03/22/01 12:48 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
John,

sorry I did not get your e-mail... What a pity. Thank you so much, however, having been so kind to tell me about that.

Ciao

------------------
Amelio

#191805 - 03/22/01 12:47 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

SD 1, chapter 2
Well, I have read all the brochures they gave me yesterday and so can add a few things to the SD 1 features.
The SD 1 has a semi-weighted keyboard (with velocity and aftertouch) with 12 response curves (6 fixed and 6 programmable); functions included are portamento, legato, harmony and octave. The pitch bend wheel and the modulation wheel can be assigned to parameters like wha-wha, bend, LFO, DCA, cut off, morphing and rotor. There are 128 user voices to save the sounds you may have modified and 128 programs (with 4 sounds each) for the right section, with velocity switch, cross switch and morphing between sounds. The right section has also a second voice, which can be programmed and stored within a program. There are more than 1000 percussive sounds with 24 drum sets plus another 24 drum sets completely programmable, eventually with external samples (in .wav format). Each style has 3 intros, 3 fills and 3 endings. There are 2 micro inputs (one XRL) with a gain control and 4 main outputs plus 2 micro outputs. The vocalizer has a separate output. The midifile player has an "intelligent transpose" function and it's possibile to sync a midifile with an audio file; midifiles can be converted in karaoke (.kar) format and the lyrics -ca va sans dire- can be read on the display.
Unofficially, the price should be about 3000 euros (something less in USD).
That's all, folks!

#191806 - 03/23/01 12:06 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
BrianUK Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK
Hey Dreamer,

How many variations are there for each style?

Brian.

P.S. The song CD you got. Is it an official demo CD that anyone can get or is it just a home-made one?

#191807 - 03/23/01 01:32 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

Brian,
each style has the two usual variations, and each variation sounds different if you play a major, minor or seventh chord. Furthermore, there is a function called "interactive arranger", which activates more or less rhytmic tracks depending on the melodic line you play with your right hand. What is really interesting is the possibility to sync to the rhytm section an audio loop (even sampled by you). This loop will be stored (as a .wav file) on the hard disk and will be loaded automatically each time you select that style. So I would say that the possibilities are endless...
The CD contains 16 short songs composed on the SD1, without external instruments or effects. Eight of them can be found at http://www.ketronclub.it (there are links to the Solton clubs of USA and Germany). Maybe if you ask them they will send you a copy; they were really kind (there was even a cocktail party before the demo) and I have to agree with DanO: Sandro Fontanella is really a nice person and an accomplished player.

#191808 - 03/26/01 04:14 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Senior Member Offline

I was considering the possibility to buy the SD1, but I would like to hear from someone else a comment on the overall quality. Does anyone know of (any) weak spots?
Thanks

#191809 - 03/26/01 05:08 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hey Junior Member,

Senior Member is a strange name for a junior member. Weak points on the SD1? Study the instrument and find out for yourself. Ask about reliability, service, and support. Ask about Solton's reliability on other product lines (like the X1). Do your homework . . . go play some arrangers, then make the decision by yourself . . . nobody can decide for you.

#191810 - 03/26/01 06:08 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Senior Member Offline

Steve
(as a fancy name Stevizard isn't bad either)
thank you for your kind reply (guess you didn't sleep well, uh?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online