SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191269 - 06/20/06 07:44 PM My horror story
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Okay, this is a therapeutic excersize to help relieve the tension of the last day!

I had a wedding performance last night in Montreal. I do quite a lot of out-of-NY weddings, so this is not new to me. And I've performed in Montreal five or six times before. So considering I had another performance in Minneapolis the night before, I wasn't too worried about my flight arriving at 1:30pm in Montreal, even though the wedding was due to start at 6.

Everything went according to plan. I arrived in Montreal, there was a one hour customs wait, but I wasn't worried -- I still had time to get to the hall, and I know that my PA guy is reliable.

After exiting customs, I got to the luggage carosel. No Tyros. Well, I know from much experience that my keyboard with its wierd shape is either the first or the last thing to come off plane. So I waited a little longer, until the carosel finally stopped. Uh oh. I always knew this could happen, but always avoided the possibility that it would!

It was 3:00, and my keyboard obviously hadn't made it. This wasn't a matter of just getting another keyboard -- I need my Tyros 2 -- anybody who has listened to my samples would understand that without it I'm dead in the water! I don't have files or styles for any other keyboard!

I went to baggage claim and made a big fuss. Apparantly I wasn't the only one on my flight who lost luggage, but I deffinitely put on the biggest show! To add to the exasperation, the mother of the bride just passed away three weeks ago, and it was my job to keep the feet dancing, and not the tears flowing!

They finally took interest in my case, only to inform me a few minutes later that my keyboard was in, wait for it, Texas! There was no way I would have it for the wedding.

I ran outside flaged a taxi and got on the phone to a friend back in NY and told him to find me a store in Montreal that sells or rents a Tyros 2. He called me back twenty minutes later with the address of one such store. We went straight there, but they only had a floor model. I bought it. For FULL PRICE - $5500 Canadian (around $US5000.) They wouldn't negotiate. I asked about their return policy - and they said they would take an $800 restocking fee if I returned it tomorrow. So I took it.

I went straight to the hall, set up the keyboard, hooked it up to my computer, plugged in my USB flash drive, loaded all my styles and files, and just as the clock hit 6, I was ready to go. I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank G-d I'd managed to keep a straight head, and everything was in order! I deffinitely wasn't going to be making money tonight, but at least the wedding would go on!

The event started with an outdoor ceremony for which I just needed to provide the PA system - not the music. The main event was to start at 7.

At ten to seven, as I sat down by my new keyboard, to prepare, a courier runs in with my T2. They "found" it - whatever that means.

I have to admit, that the whole day, I didn't feel bad. But when my keyboard arrived - I couldn't help but feel that I was on the wrong end of a cruel joke! At least they could have delivered in a half hour later after I got some money's worth out of the new one!

Anyway, today on the way to the airport I returned it, lost $800 in the process, and here I am in NY reflecting on the days events!

Chony

#191270 - 06/20/06 09:20 PM Re: My horror story
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
WHAT A STORY!

Seems like the airline should be responsible for your $800 loss...but that is probably wishful thinking.

Did anyone in the wedding party know about your situation?

Despite the loss of $$$s...you did the right thing. That is professionalism.

Eddie

#191271 - 06/20/06 09:47 PM Re: My horror story
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I agree with Eddie: you were a real professional and showed a lot of cold blood too.

#191272 - 06/20/06 09:48 PM Re: My horror story
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Chony, sounds like you had a 'real-life' NIGHTMARE! Under the circumstances, I commend you for the way you handled it so cooly. I don't know if I'd been able to handle it as well as you did. Hope you were able to enjoy a good drink after all that.

Scott

#191273 - 06/20/06 11:16 PM Re: My horror story
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Chony,

YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL, period.
Theodore

#191274 - 06/20/06 11:41 PM Re: My horror story
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
actually, i thing is good you shared your story with us because that might happen to anyone, at one point, one way or another! unexpected things happen all the time! but the solution you found was indeed very professional!

#191275 - 06/20/06 11:58 PM Re: My horror story
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Respect. You lost $800 but you didn't lose your reputation.

George

#191276 - 06/21/06 01:14 AM Re: My horror story
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Chony, There are few that would have played the game the way you did – thinking of the people and their wedding instead of yourself.

In the end, all is returned to the guy who gives.

Cheers to you, John C.

#191277 - 06/21/06 02:29 AM Re: My horror story
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
A true professional who kept his cool and even knowing he would lose out on some money, still made sure he arrived for the booking with a Tyros 2 - talk about dedication
I think the airline should give you the money for loss of earnings. It's their responsibility to make sure your equipment leaves somewhere and arrives at the destination in one piece and on time. They've failed to live up to this so surely you could persue it further?
Good luck if you do.

#191278 - 06/21/06 03:25 AM Re: My horror story
Dnj Offline

I have had something like this happen to me, where I was without my Keyboard I just performed without the keyboard utilizing my Laptop/PA Sound System & a Mic to Sing....
I always have Back Up custom tracks of all my songs & more & the LT never leaves my side even when traveling......the show must go on! Glad to hear you worked out your problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online