SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191255 - 02/04/03 09:10 PM Going out L/R mono jack to amp on Tyros
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Awhile ago Scott Yee had a post about the sound problem of going out of the PSR2000 L/R jack in mono, saying it did not sound good.

How does this work on the Tyros? Same thing, or good sound?

Scott Langholff

#191256 - 02/04/03 09:58 PM Re: Going out L/R mono jack to amp on Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Scott L: Yep, unfortunately, in addition to happening on all PSR keyboards (including: PSR2000, 9000pro, PSR9000, etc), the SAME thing occurs on the Tyros too.

Voices (including the: Live Grand & many others) which utilize stereo effects (cross phasing, etc) processing to enhance sound quality, sound markedly inferior when you go out the keyboard as a single mixed (L/R) mono signal. This problem also occurs if you go out the keyboard via separate L & R outputs , but then attempt to mix the signal (to mono) via an outboard mixer or even if you plug the L& R outputs into a single PA speaker. Unfortunately, The ONLY way to retain the original impressive sound is to: go out of the keyboard in stereo and then to TWO separate stereo PA speakers. I spoke with Steve Deming at Yamaha and he confirmed this as well.

If I must go out to only a single PA speaker, I connect the PA speaker to the Tyros' Right channel output only. I realize that this results in hearing ONLY ONE channel (no left channel), but the results of hearing just one channel, (inho) sounds better than the seriously compromised piano (Live Grand) sound, as well as MANY other voices which utilize stereo effects, when the Left & Right channels are mixed on output.

Curious to hear how OTHER Yamaha arranger players deal with this, as well as finding out if other arranger keyboard manufacterers implement stereo effects (phasing) in their instrument voices. How is the sound effected via mono output? All feedback and comments appreciated.

Scott Y

#191257 - 02/04/03 10:22 PM Re: Going out L/R mono jack to amp on Tyros
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi ScottY

Thanx for your input as always. Guess what? I'm thinking very strongly about getting a Tyros.

I saw one finally yesterday. When I get a chance I'll post my initial response.

Scott Langholff

#191258 - 02/05/03 12:22 AM Re: Going out L/R mono jack to amp on Tyros
Beakybird Offline

I bet that these new amps by Motion Sound, the KP-200 and the KP-100 would help this problem because they are stereo and have a spatial expander to expand the stereo signal. I prefer to go mono on my PSR2000 rather than the right channel, I find this sounds better for me. I do occasionally hear that phase shifter sound. I'm sure the problem would be worse if I performed more modern styles.

Beakybird

#191259 - 02/05/03 12:46 AM Re: Going out L/R mono jack to amp on Tyros
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I found the same frustration with my 9000PRO. The good side is that it prompted me to bite the bullet and buy a second amp. Now the sound is oh sooooo sweeet.
Jon.

[This message has been edited by JonPro (edited 02-05-2003).]

#191260 - 02/05/03 05:40 AM Re: Going out L/R mono jack to amp on Tyros
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Looks like Yamaha are using the old trick (i.e. the original Boss Stereo Chorus guitar pedal from 197? does the same trick) of creating a stereo effect by feeding a Mono FX to one channel and the same Mono FX output inverted to the other channel - so you sum the channels and the effect disappears.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online