SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191042 - 11/15/01 12:14 AM PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Calling all PSR Keyboard Experts!

Please help. On the PSR2000:

I'm able to select a built-in 'accompaniment style' and then easily MUTE any individual instrument(s) in that style, but HOW can I change the volume level (up/down) of individual instruments (drums, bass, piano, etc) in a style?

There are a number of internal 'accompaniment styles' where I want to tweak the volume level of individual parts and then save these settings to Registration Memory. Is this possible on the PSR2000? I looked thru the manual and could not find anything on this. Am I missing something here, because the Technics KN5000 easily allows you to easily (on the fly), re-adjust the volume level of indivdual instruments in a style when playing it.

Thanks in advance, - Scott

#191043 - 11/15/01 01:38 AM Re: PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
Rodrigues Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi,

Just a few tips:
By pressing the Mixing button several times until appear the screen for Styles. After using side buttons G ...to...J to select the desired parameters to change and the 16 buttons to choose the track and change the value.
To save the changes definitively, by storing the style in the user memory, first make the same as above and after prees Digital Recording - Styles and Save.

Regards
Carlos Rodrigues

#191044 - 11/15/01 02:16 AM Re: PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
Scottyee Offline

Hi Carlos,
MANY thanks for your clear explanation and help in finding the page where the "Style Part" volume and voice (instrument) settings are located. This "Style Part" page certainly was NOT made clearly evident in the PSR2000 user manual. I'm happy that after making "Style Part" volume and voice (instrument) changes, I was easily able to save these settings in Registration Memory buttons (1-8) for instant recall later.

My only concern is that making "Style Part" voice (instrument) and volume changes via sub-menus 'on the fly' during a live performance would be rather awkward. As I mentioned earlier, the Technics KN keyboards allow you to easily perform the SAME thing while performing LIVE via the MAIN screen.

I guess next, I'll have to try saving these setting as a custom style in USER MEMORY too.

Carlos, THANKS again. You saved me hours of frustration. I assume that you are a PSR2000 owner too, right? Hope to get a chance to hear your PSR music from Portugal sometime.

- Scott

#191045 - 11/15/01 06:39 AM Re: PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Carlos has been playing PSRs for a LONG time. He is always knowledgeable and helpful.
DonM

#191046 - 11/15/01 08:43 AM Re: PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
Scottyee Offline

DonM: Though I've been playing keyboards since the age of 4 and arranger boards since 1997, I'm DEFINITELY a total 'newbie' when it comes to the PSR stuff! It's kind of like being a kid all over again discovering a brand new toy. I'm so lucky to have met so MANY friends WORLDWIDE here to share/exchange arranger keyboard information INSTANTLY like this.

Yeah, I remember (ahhhh the good ol, oops, I meant bad ol days) when buying a new
keyboard synth or music software program meant spending days/weeks trying to first figure out the manual (translated by a non-english speaker from japanese (or german) to english. Then when I would want to perform some basic fairly simple function specific to my needs, I couldn't find it in the manual anywhere so would have to call the manufacter's technical support line (always a LONG Distance call of course) and have to wait 'on hold' for up to an hour. What really erked me is sometimes, after holding for that long, I'd sometimes get disconnected. If I was lucky to reach a LIVE breathing person on the other end, many times they could'nt answer the question unless it was simple like: 'how to find the on/off button'. On occasion I'd luck out and get someone who would offer to investigate and call me back (but sometimes it took up to a week for a response).

Well, TIMES definitely have changed (can you believe it's only been about 5 years now?, but it seems like a Century , well, we are in a new millineum now though. The internet (in conjunction with this board) has (for the FIRST time in history) enabled experienced arranger keyboard devotees, computer music techies', and musicians from around the world to come together for the first time to share/exchange their knowledge. This in turn will for sure accelerate the advancement of the arranger boards we know today, because I know for a FACT that many of the keyboard manufacters are REGULARLY checking in here to find out what's on our minds, so they can further develop their keyboards to meet our needs, and in turn, sell us MORE keyboards. Ahhh, the world of Capitalism! I love it! This board is a wonderful PLACE for us all - arranger keyboard: newbies, musicians, hobbyists, computer/music tech heads, and manufacters & dealers as well [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

#191047 - 11/15/01 09:36 AM Re: PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
Scottyee Offline

DonM, Carlos, and or other PSR owners:

I'm now curious to know if the PSR9000 and 9000pro models also require you to go into a submenu (like the PSR2000 does) to access and change individual STYLE PART parameters:
1) Volume level
2) Voice (instrument) assignment

#191048 - 11/15/01 11:45 AM Re: PSR2000 Styles: I Want to re-adjust volume level of individual instruments - HOW?
Scottyee Offline

hi, here's a copy of the email I received from DonM. Don, I hope you don't mind me posting it here because it contains a valuable hint (especially for us PSR newbies) about how to easily access 'style part' instrument changes from the STYLE 'channel on/off' display, which can be setup to appear in the MAIN menu. AMAZING!

Don said:
"Yes, the 9000 requires going to a submenu to change voices. It is actually
easier to do on the 2000. I'm sure you know that on the 2000, that while in
the style part on/off display, you merely push the top of the button to
display the voice changes for that part.
Individual style part VOLUMES are easier to reach on the 9000. It is just
one "click" away at the most."

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online