SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#190982 - 06/23/03 06:34 PM looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Has anybody had the pleasure of using or expereincing these 2 and had any comments?

#190983 - 06/23/03 06:56 PM Re: looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I own a Carvin PA800 and give it a very high recommendation. It has all the features of units costing much more, pretty good onboard effects, and a great price. Had mine aver a year, altho haven't used it that much, never had a problem with it. I've often heard good comments on Carvin equipment. Hope this helps.

#190984 - 06/23/03 07:12 PM Re: looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Check out the Behringer PMX2000. 500watt mono/250 W stereo 8 ohms, 3 Stereo Input Channels, 10 Channels total, Built in Effects and Vocorder, Monitor Out, Eq on both amps, built in Fan. Sounds Great!!

I paid $259.00!!!!!! It retails for $299.00!!!

What a deal!
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#190985 - 06/23/03 07:43 PM Re: looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Lots of people around here seem to love Behringer stuff for their features, quality and low prices. They are not very plentiful out here so I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.
The Carvin PA1200 was my second choice, but now I have a Mackie 808s powered mixer. No matter where I go I get compliments on how clean and full the sound is. Many musicians have come up and checked it out and commented that they were considering a new mixer and that the 808s was on the top of their list. the 808s is the top of the Mackie powered mixer line with 8 stereo channels and two 600 watt amplifiers that can be used as stereo L/R or mains/monitor. There is a great digital EFX section too. There are mono and 6 channel models for less money. I paid $799 2 years ago and it was the best money I could spend.

#190986 - 06/23/03 08:00 PM Re: looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a pair of Peavey XR-600F's for sale at $300 each. Both are in excellent condition, and have lots of great features. Here's the specs http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_onli...am=MXRS&tcode=2

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 06-24-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190987 - 06/23/03 08:22 PM Re: looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Frankie,

I believe there are members who were somewhat disappointed with their Behringer mixers - I am not saying that it's bad, but with some of the units having problems (if I recall correctly, it was the excessive noise), you should listen to the unit you are buying, or else make sure you can return it without a penalty (and be ready to pay for shipping).

In general, if an arranger keyboard is a part of your setup. you should look for a stereo mixer (which will allow you to pan the right and left outputs to the different sides). I don't believe that Yorkville is stereo, and if I recall correctly, it has dual mono amps. which allow you to to have separate volume control over the same mono signal (which may be useful to drive the mains and the monitors, but provides no stereo separation). The Mackie 808S (and I think some high-end Yamahas) have three amps built in - two for the two sides of stereo mains, and the third for the monitors, which are usually mono anyway.

I have been using a Samson D8B stereo mixer, which has 8 stereo channels, and a built-in Zoom effect processor. I am leaning towards a more scalable setup, and am putting it up for sale. If you are interested, please e-mail me privately.

Regards,
Alex

#190988 - 06/24/03 06:14 AM Re: looking for a powered mixer, comparing the Yorkville m8dxs and the carvin pa800?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I really like the fact that the Carvin has 3 amps, left, right, and monitor.

The Behringer seems way to inexpensive to have the ability to do what it says, and especially the components for that price.

The Yorkville isn't stereo

The Mackie is stereo but only 2 amps so you can't have a monitor speaker too

But Stereo imagining is not the most important, sound and reliability is more important, but if they are equal in that point , might as well get the stereo part

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online