SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#190768 - 04/26/06 11:43 AM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Not really sure if this is the right answer to that question Fran, but you can open Midi files from the File menu in SF. The only thing I do know for sure is that the way I have Synth Font setup it isn't utilizing the effects section of SGM180.

AJ

#190769 - 04/26/06 03:38 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I know that Frank finds the Banstand too slow for live use at the present time. Has anyone tried Garritan Jazz and Bigband.

I am in the same boat, in that I am looking for a program to go into my Receptor that can handle fast program changes. I am looking at the other programs mentioned, as well.

#190770 - 04/26/06 06:09 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
WOW,,,I got the Live Synth Pro working with SGM180 fonts,,,using Forte as a host..
This set up allows me to use VanBasco player with my windows explorer ...
This is how I prefer to play sequences..

The set up really sounds good..effects are also working..

There are a few drum kit problems[like Yamaha}..I will have to see if the problem is related to a drum transpose[they work fine with my other soft synths]..

Any suggestion?

This set up also has a little problem ..loss time while loading program changes for a SMF.

Thanks to everyone for your help..that I could experience sound fonts...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 04-26-2006).]

#190771 - 04/26/06 06:38 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran I assume you don't need a copy of LiveSynth Pro. If you do let me know and I will send you a copy.

Bernie9, I have both Garritan GPO and J&BB and the sounds are larger in size and higher quality sounds as compared with Bandstand. As a result they would not be suitable for quick loads into styles or midi files. The instruments are very good for use for lead or melody parts. I setup 8 or so instruments on 8 separate channels and call them up instantly by changing channels. I set these instruments by the genre of music I wish to play, e.g., Jazz, country, etc. The loading of 8 large instruments on my fast computer is about 30 seconds. So for lead instruments it is a piece of cake...plus it sounds so good!!!

In kontakt you can setup a multi with program numbers. Once you load this multi you can send it program changes to change the instruments instantly. You would need to know in advance which instruments you will need to include in the multi. The more you include the longer the initial load times. This is not a bad alternative to consider.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-27-2006).]

#190772 - 04/26/06 07:10 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Fran,
I also use Live Synth Pro with the soundfonts.
There's quite a few commercial ones available also, though whether or not they're worth the expense is debateable.
There seem to be a mix of good & bad instruments in all of them.
I actually started splitting all of mine up to try and put together the most suitable instruments for me.

I sometimes also just use my Audigy nx 2 usb sound card instead of Livesynth pro etc. The soundcard gives me access to Creative's Vienna soundfont editor. ( not to be confused with Viena).

I find them very versatile.

The problem with some of the psr drum styles is the XG drum mapping, ie you get handclaps where you should have brushes playing.

I think there's a couple of sets of soundfonts that have have xg mapping

Another xg soundfont ( free)
Synergi ( not free ).

I was putting together an xg drumset before my computer crashed, now I've forgotten where I was up to.

With editors you can actually edit a font & even replace instruments.
Other option would be to edit the style.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-26-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#190773 - 04/26/06 11:32 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I did an A/B yesterday with Bandstand and Hypersonic2 GM. I loaded both of them on Forte, set HS2 in GM mode, set Midi Yoke as midi output on WinXP Control Panel and playd a midi file on Windows Media Player. Then I simply muted and unmuted the appropriate rack, to switch between them instantaneously, while the midi played. That way I can even have them both play at the same time.

I turned off reverb and chorus effects in both racks after a while.

Note: on 96 KHz, my PC could NOT cope with Bandstand on my attempt to play a busy style or a complex midifile. I had to turn Forte to 48KHz playback to be able to continue without hiccups.

On saxes, clarinets, flutes etc, Banstand wins... It feels more "real life" like, whatever that means. They sound more like instruments on a CD, vibrato and all. HS2 sounds more "keyboard like", much more "simple" sounding.

On the other hand, HS2 sounds like it has the high freqs turned up a little, it is more crisp.

Drums, I couldn't decide, maybe Bandstand has an edge, maybe it is just me.

After turning off the effects, I noticed that Banstand still sounds like it has some sort of Reverb built in the sounds, while HS2 sounds dry.

I have a lot of midis I found on the net over the years, that are specifically made for Roland Sound Canvas, even from Roland itself. These sound a better on HS2.

StarKeeper, Rikki, I still can't figure out how to use Cakewalk to play a midi file and have it sound from within Forte.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 04-26-2006).]

#190774 - 04/27/06 01:42 AM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Frank
Thank you for the info. I set up Colossus the same way, i.e. multi's on several channels. On Receptor, the load time is about 15 seconds for these large samples. Like you say, they are fine for leads.

The Colossus samples, being orchestral, need tweaking of ADSR, and modulation to sound like all around lead instruments. For example, the trumpet might need a shorter attack with delayed vibrato, and a dirtier filter setting. Do you find the other aforementioned products the same in that respect ?

Bernie

#190775 - 04/27/06 04:28 AM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Bernie, I agree some tweaking of the Colossus Instruments improves the sound. In addition, I use moderate quality effects in my forte Ensemble Host, namely Calkwalk's Sonitus Reverbs, Chorus and Equalizers. These effects are much better than anything you will find in a hardware based arranger or workstation. In addition, these effects are relatively easy on CPU usage.

The same can be said for GPO and J&BB sound libraries. Another feature I am starting to use more and more in kontakt is its scripting feature. Others have writen scripts for legato, harmonizers, etc. which can make a huge difference in the quality of the sound for some of the instruments in the noted libraries. For example: http://www.theokrueger.com/kontakt2.htm
Furthermore, for those who wish to edit soundfonts within LiveSynth Pro or other samplers you could purchase: http://www.soundfaction.com/alive/

Another sampler you could look as is VSampler: http://www.maz-sound.de/

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-27-2006).]

#190776 - 04/27/06 10:50 AM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Long & McQuade in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, has Hypersonic 2 in stock and loaded on their in-store demo system.
Looks like I will be paying them a visit next week.
They are selling it for $375.00. that is not bad at all for a Canadian price. Could be because of the high Cdn dollar.
Starkeeper

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online