SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#190264 - 03/20/01 07:22 PM Amp/Speaker question
Judd Offline

I am on the verge of purchasing a Yamaha P-80. I have only played acoustic pianos in the past. I like the feel and simplicity of the P-80, and because I will probably be moving it around some I also like the weight.
I don't know what type of amp/speaker to get for the p-80. I will be using it mainly in my apartment living room, in other people's homes, and other relatively small rooms. I want it to be relatively portable & light weight, $500 or less, and obviously give me great piano sound for the room size I will be in.

I looked at a couple of amps like the the Peavey KBA-30, Roland KC-100, and I thought the sound with those amps was okay at best.

I was wondering if a powered monitor/speaker like those used in studio monitoring (i.e. Yamaha MSP5) would be useful for such an application instead of a keyboard amp. I have never been in a studio and I have no idea if they would work well. I assume they are designed more for very near work (1 meter), but I thought they might produce a higher quality sound and still be able to fill an average-sized living room well.

I am very inexperienced in this area. I would appreciate any input concerning types of amps/monitors/speakers that would work well, and if you know of any specific models that fit my basic criteria that would be great.

#190265 - 03/20/01 08:32 PM Re: Amp/Speaker question
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Judd,
I would recommend the Yamaha MSP5's . The Keyboard amps will not play in stereo . Msp5's are powerful and offer the stereo capibilities.
Roland has a smaller pair of powered monitors called MA12c's . Great for an apartment and priced around $299.99 a pair.
The P80 is a very nice piano. Having a weight of 40lbs is a plus as well. It is a little thin for most generic keyboard stands.
Be sure to try a few out before you buy the stand .
Recently Roland came out with a piano called an RD150 to compete against the P80 . The RD150 is same price and worth looking at before you make your purchase . If you have any other questions you may contact me by email oneils4@home.com or Call me at Guitar Center in Towson Maryland 410 821 5200 .
Good luck.....DanO

#190266 - 03/21/01 05:02 AM Re: Amp/Speaker question
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Judd,
Check out the Yamaha MS50 (Sub Bass Unit 40 watts Plus satellites 20 watts each total 80 watts) These are available in white in the UK for only £80. (140 Dollars to the pound)
This unit is supplies within the option pack for the PSR9000 Pro but in black.

Graham UK

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online