SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#189397 - 11/04/01 11:33 AM question on arranger capabilities
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Is it possible to record songs in a way so that when you load them for playback you can press a button to trigger a sequence of the song to play once or until cancelled, and then later perhaps push another button which recalls a sequence that has different chords and accompaniment - and maybe totally different time and feel? Somewhat like cueing an orchestra to come in on command - maybe some of it would be triggering real-time performance accompaniment - and some might be totally prerecorded sequences as though you were playing solo piano along with a CD or tape. The reason for this question is that I am trying to understand if arrangers can truly be made to work in a performance atmosphere like jazz where spontaneity and an 'uncanned' feel can be an absolutely critical part of the experience.

Mike in Alaska

#189398 - 11/04/01 12:37 PM Re: question on arranger capabilities
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Mike: Please see my response: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/002298.html
- Scott

#189399 - 11/04/01 01:38 PM Re: question on arranger capabilities
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Hi Scott - I also posted this on the other thread.

Yes - I do play out of the real book - working hard to memorize my way through it - I write some stuff that we play - some cross between Bill Evans and Tito Puente - ha! - It's all pretty much instrumental though - lots of work for the piano man to try and keep it fresh. I do enjoy playing stuff like Love for Sale, You don't know what love is, Nite has 1000 eyes, darn that dream,I'll remember april - ah the list goes on - but I would like to learn more stuff like Joe Farell's tune - Molten Glass

Anyways - the rubato sort of thing I was thinking about had to do with intros and interludes that might be pretty free form at times but had a definite chord structure. I guess what I want is to pull up a song - and have some specific prerecorded sequences -(which may or may not have used the accompaniment features) - and have the activation of those sequences tied in with pushing a button - seems like it should be possible - especially on an arranger which allows you to record songs which include a full range of information for settings and parts.

Mike in Alaska

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online