SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18895 - 01/07/06 06:43 AM X5DR. Can you save individual Programs using Sysex? Help, Mac
Thrum Offline

Hi all, this is driving me nuts. Im trying to save individual Program presets from my Korg X5DR, to a Sysex Librarian, and then send them back to my X5DR individualy when i choose ? I cant seem to be able to do this. Is it possible ?

I can manage to save a whole bank of 100 Programs, or All data etc, but not individual Programs.

Im wanting to have my favorite sounds all in my X5DR all at once, for live use.

There is a part in the manual,page 74 that says, ' The dump data for one Program is transmitted when the X5D changes the mode from Program Play mode to Program Edit mode". but im not sure how to do this. When i try it manualy, the only sysex message it sends is me changing from play mode, to edit mode, and doesent save or recieve the Program ?

I have also changed the settings in Global 2C & 2D to ENA ( enable), as told to do.

If anyone can help me it would be much appriciated. I have been at this for hours

Im using a Mac, OS 10.3.9, and a Sysex Librarian , but also have the Mac OS9 Korg Editor, but that doesent seem to be able to do it either ?

Thanks in advance,

Thrum

#18896 - 01/08/06 05:08 AM Re: X5DR. Can you save individual Programs using Sysex? Help, Mac
Thrum Offline

Ive found a way to do it. Basicaly you need to use the original Korg X5DR Editor, which can be found at Korgy Park, or on the Korg website, under software i think. (I couldnt seem to get it to do this function using a SysEx Librarian ?).

However, using the original Korg Editor means that you need to use an old Mac computer, that has serial ports on it. Luckly i still have an old Powermac 9500 which has serial ports on it.

What you need to do is this. First on the X5DR, go to Global Mode 02B and select either Midi, or PCIF, depanding wither you are using an external Midi interface, or using the X5DR's Host connecter. ( Note, the Host connector , which just uses a mac serial/printer cable, seems to work better, but an external serial port midi interface works also).

Then move along to 02C and 02D and select ENA on all settings. This allows the X5DR to send and recieve Midi messages.

Then simply open up the Korg X5DR Editor on your computer, and open up a bank of Programs. Then by pressing on one of the programs twice, that will open up an edit page. From that page you can send and recieve individual Programs to and from the X5DR 9 using the Transmit, or Recieve buttons), thus being able to create your own bank of programs, and save them either to your X5DR, or as a Bank of programs on the editor program on your computer. ( You can also send whole banks of programs between the X5DR and the computer in one of the menu options).

Phew. Got there eventually.

There also seems to be two versions of the Korg editor floating around. One that uses OMS, and one that doesent. They both work, but i found that the one that doesent, seems to send whole banks of programs better than the version that does, when using an external midi interface. Both versions work just as well when using a serial cable thrugh the X5DR Host connector. Its actually an easier way to work when using a serial cable, and the X5DR Host connector, as you can have an external keyboard connected to the X5DR all the time, thus trying out all the Programs straight away. By using an external midi interface, you need to reconnect the midi interface, and just have the midi IN/OUT from the X5DR to the interface, connected to the computer, then once you have transmitted your Programs etc, reconnect the midi out from your controller keyboard, back to the X5DR midi IN, to hear the new programs . With the Host connection, you dont need to keep reconecting.

So there you go everyone. Thats a free way, providing you have an old mac, of being able to create, and edit Programs on the X5DR, and create your own Program Banks, and store them how you like.

Took me a while to get there, but glad i did. now i can create my own programs, and have them all next to each other on my X5DR, so when playing live i just need to move up/down one position to get the programs i want.

Hope someone else finds this info useful. Took me long enough lol.

Kind regards,

Thrum

#18897 - 01/08/06 09:44 PM Re: X5DR. Can you save individual Programs using Sysex? Help, Mac
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I'm glad it got sorted out Thrum. Thanks for letting us know the outcome in case other owners are looking to do the same thing.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online