SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#188854 - 08/23/04 02:00 PM Atkins?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Are you Atkins people still sticking with it and what have been the results after this amount of time? I will need to do something after Labor Day. I should do it now but I'm not going to.

Tom

#188855 - 08/23/04 02:57 PM Re: Atkins?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Have you looked into the GI (Glycemic Index) Diet? You would eat foods that are low on the glycemeic index. The theories on this diet, Atkins, and South Beach are similar. To keep the insulin dog sleeping. High carb foods tend to wake up the insulin dog, which starts to store fat. If the insulin dog is not woken up, then you lose weight.
I am trying the GI DIet (recommended by my naturopath) because I am hypo-glycemic (I do not need to lose weight), I am oversensitive to carbohydrates.
Starkeeper

#188856 - 08/23/04 03:14 PM Re: Atkins?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

I tried Atkins last year, had some problems and had to get off of it. Went to the South Beach Diet shortly after returning from my whirlwind trip south, a venture that caused me to tip the scales at 222 pounds. After 12 weeks I'm down to 187 and now losing about a pound a week.

The big difference between the two diets is Atkins does not seem to care about the consumption of fats. South Beach, which was designed by a cardiologist, is not only low carb, but additionally is low fat. The only problem I, and some other folks I know encountered with South Beach, and Atkins as well, is constipation. I figure the way I'm going I should reach my goal weight of 175 in about two more months.

Yes, I do miss the potatoes, chips, white bread and pasta, but getting them out of my diet was not as difficult as I was led to believe. It's just a matter of disipline.

The one thing that South Beach also tells you, and that the Atkins book did not, was portion control and calorie count is important. Obviously, if you take in more calories than you burn you will continue to gain weight. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight--it's that simple. All those carbs translate to lots of calories. Eliminate the carbs and you've eliminated a major portion of your caloric intake.

I'll post some new photos when I reach the goal weight and let the synthzoners be the judge. Damned, I'm looking good!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#188857 - 08/23/04 03:47 PM Re: Atkins?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I have also followed the SouthBeach way of eating for a year now, and have been down 40 pounds and maintaining. I feel great. My weight is down my cholestrol,is down, my BP is down, and I feel great.

Hey Gary, I can't believe how we are on the same wavelength. Keyboards, backups, musical tastes, and now diets.

Jerry

#188858 - 08/23/04 06:23 PM Re: Atkins?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've lost 6 lbs since May just working and playing real hard. Oh, and I've been eating sensible as well.

I was on the Atkins and I didn't feel right so I quit. My Cholestrol level shot through the roof for some reason. I'ts finally back under control.

I don't do well with ANY diets.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#188859 - 08/23/04 07:42 PM Re: Atkins?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I tried Atkins for a while last year .. lost about 15 lbs in about 3 weeks and then wnt off it and put the weight back on ... I then tried South Beach this year ... lost about 20 lbs and went on the 'maintenence' phase ... after the summer we've had , the wife and I are setting September as "South Beach September" ... back to phase one ... ...
t.

#188860 - 08/23/04 08:01 PM Re: Atkins?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
South Beach lifestyle pretty much for me. Makes more sense than Atkins and seems healthier. I'm down about 25 pounds from earlier this year, but I've been working out in a gym regularly and that has put some muscle mass on me in my upper body so there's a little weight-offset there. Also my blood pressure was getting high so my doctor put me on a diuretic "water pill" to reduce salt, and that kicked my diet into high gear after my weight loss stalled. I lost most of the weight after a few weeks on the pill and it's stayed off so far. So as they say it does pay to consult with your doctor on your diet and see what they can do to help.

#188861 - 08/23/04 08:22 PM Re: Atkins?
Dnj Offline

I have confered with Doctor Gary Diamond who has coached me on the SB Diet....and I just bought the South Beach Diet Book. After witnessing Gary & Carols fantastic weight loss progress, I thought I'd give it a good try along with my wife and daughter also, I will also start walking more too.....
Lord knows I need it big time! . It wont be easy, especialy being a KB entertainer playing functions every night with buffets & dinners, luncheons, etc. all around you all the time, but I did kick the cigarette habit 20 yrs ago "cold turkey" & never smoked since . So wish me luck, We'll start right after Labor Day.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-24-2004).]

#188862 - 08/23/04 08:56 PM Re: Atkins?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've got confidence in ya' Donny. In no time at all, you'll be lookin' great, and the babes will be chasing you around the stage. OH YEAH!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#188863 - 08/23/04 09:33 PM Re: Atkins?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I lost about 50 pounds on the Atkins diet last year. Since my parents moved in with us in February I have been very lax and gained about 20 back.
Time to rededicate.
DNJ--if Gary can do it you can too!
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online