SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#188599 - 01/10/05 06:51 PM Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Harold Offline

Loc: Harrisville,Pa USA
Hello...I have been reviewing the Demo's and Information on this Keyboard...It Looks and Sounds Very Good in this respect, I don't have one in my Area to Try Live...Would anyone using one be kind enough to give their personal opinion on this Keyboard...The Sounds and Styles,Keyboard Quality,and any valuable Information...I require a Excellent 76 note Keyboard action,Excellent Piano,Guitars,Sax,Trumpet,Organs...Excellent STYLES....I have owned SD-1,Tyro's,9000 Pro and Now using the PSR-3000(using it with a 76 Key Synth)...All Very good in their own respect and Price range...I just would like one Pro 76 Key Instrument...and Quality to justify the Price....Thank you for taking your time to voice your Input!

#188600 - 01/10/05 07:14 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Harold,

There's been some discussion and opinions, pro and con, on the Korg Pa1-X on this forum, so I'd suggest a search here.

Also, you'd be well served with a look at http://www.irishacts.com/
which is predominantly a Korg enthusiasts' site. The have a discussion group there with a section dedicated to the Pa1-X. Good luck.

#188601 - 01/10/05 08:25 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Harold, do a search under my nickname Bebop for Pa1x. I have been doing a lot of research on it and many helpful posts were made in this forum. I have not yet bought one but still thinking about it.
Best to you
Bebop

#188602 - 01/10/05 10:08 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
I have the PRO ,i love it, the learning on it takes time, BENNO

#188603 - 01/11/05 08:04 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Harold

My conclusions are as follows:

1. The sounds and styles are fantastic.
2. With the mp3 board installed, you can create mp3s directly from your live playing!
3. It is very heavy if you plan to take it out of the studio!
4. There is no main output EQ!
5. When changing from one OTS to another the sounds completely reset, so you cannot, for example, hold strings through while you change to a different upper voice using the OTS.
6. The touch screen is very hard to use, which is why I would be reluctant to change upper voices using the touch screen in a live performance.
7. It is hard to learn how to use.
8. The footswitch is programmed at a global level only, so you cannot assign it to a different function for each song (as I used to do with the Roland G1000 and do with the Tyros)

So, I use Tyros! I wish it had 76 keys, but frankly I like the light weight!

------------------
Graham

#188604 - 01/11/05 10:02 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Well, having listened to all the online demo's of the newest keyboards (and some "older" ones)this one sounds the best to me - with the Tyros a close second (my opinio of course). Not overly impressed with Rolands new offerings - whether Arranger or Synth, seem to lack a wee bit.

Anthony

#188605 - 01/11/05 10:29 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Roel Offline

Graham is right!

The STS (single touch setting) issue starts to become very annoying to me.

Intro's and endings are very good, but just are TOO long (or too short)

I like the keyfeel very much.
The accordeons are not the best I heard (The Ketron SD1 is more natural)

The touch-display is hard to use. (even after a calculation-sequence)

If a Tyros-II would be released (with normal keys) I might switch to Yamaha.

#188606 - 01/11/05 10:34 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Jupitar5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:

If a Tyros-II would be released (with normal keys) I might switch to Yamaha.

And built in speakers..perhaps?

#188607 - 01/11/05 10:38 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Roel Offline

Built in speakers ? No not for me !
It brings extra weight and because I play in my home-studio or on stage, speakers are not needed.

#188608 - 01/11/05 10:58 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Harold Offline

Thank You Everyone!!!Always nice to hear more opinions also...I checked all the recommended sites, etc...Very Helpful. To me it looks like a Excellent Pro Keyboard, SO CLOSE with still some very Important Issues needed to addressed by Korg...Not Trying only to knock Korg, But I feel ANY Pro Keyboard costing App $4000 that has been selling for nearly one Year should Pretty Much have all the needed Issues resolved and Some NEW updated Features added...IT's A LARGE Hard Earned Investment for me!...I sure LIKE the Sounds of this Keyboard and Many other Features...I'm waiting to Try a Roland G-70 Also...Hummmmm... Same situation????...As previously Mentioned I have owned quite a few NEW Arrangers, All Good, BUT "Most Bang for the Buck" Keyboard and "Finished Product" so far for me is the PSR-3000 Yamaha...I may have to continue on with it teaming up with a Roland A-37(76 key) Controller(App $250 Used) or Roland XP-80 76 key Synth I have now...I love 76 Keys for Piano work and need a light semi- weighted action because of Arthritus in my Fingers...Enough Rambling by me for Now!..I just Love Playing Keyboards!!!!!!

#188609 - 01/11/05 11:51 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
KN_Fan Offline

I'd like to add another discussion to this and hoping to get some inputs also.

Been owning the Triton Studio for a while, I've been thinking after all this time, this is probably not the right keyboard for me. Having been in the Technics/arranger world for a long time, the transition is tough. I can use certain functions on the Triton Studio, but for something I spent over 3000 bux, I am certainly not using the keyboard to full advantage. I find myself trying to figure out how to tweak the effects, or how to make the sequencer work instead of making music. Heck, I got the optional CD writer and I haven't even used that at all! I doubt it that Pa1xPro can be that difficult to operate??

Probably I'm going to just sell my Triton Studio...DEFINITELY mint condition since I don't take it out of my living room and I'm the ONLY player so it's really in good condition. PLUS I'll throw in the soft Korg bag and a stand. I'm still trying to figure out the best way if I sold this via internet.

Now, IF I sold it...should I consider the Pa1X (with speakers) OR Tyros.

My objective:

1. Sound (which is really personal taste. If it's comparable to the Tyros OR if it sounds as good as the Pa1x demo I'll take it).
2. Lots of free spaces to create patterns. I want to be able to chop off songs into: Intro, verse 1, verse 2, refrain, etc..and then play it live or chain it all in the sequencer.
3. Possibly built in speakers.
4. I like Pa1X Pro because its MP3 saving ability.

Can't think of anymore right now...might add later. Meantime I'll wait for anybody's comments.

Thanks all
Jonas

#188610 - 01/11/05 01:13 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Harold Offline

Jonis...Same Situation with me!..Perfect Roland FantomX7 I'm about to list on E-bay...Beautiful Workstation for someone who needs it...My time is very limited. I just want a quality Instrument with Quality Sounds that I can ENJOY making Music with!...I find Myself spending time with too many Instruments, Sounds, etc and Not even checking whats inside my PSR-3000!...I'm thinning out!...Heck, I even have my Roland XV-5080 Module with sampler to use for Sounds if needed...Again, I just play in my Music room. Best Wishes in your Search.

#188611 - 01/11/05 02:46 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Jupitar5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:

Now, IF I sold it...should I consider the Pa1X (with speakers) OR Tyros.

I'd keep hold of the CD Writer though as you can use this CDR-1 on the Pa1X (from Version 2.0 I believe).

#188612 - 01/11/05 02:46 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote:

My objective:

1. Sound (which is really personal taste. If it's comparable to the Tyros OR if it sounds as good as the Pa1x demo I'll take it).
2. Lots of free spaces to create patterns. I want to be able to chop off songs into: Intro, verse 1, verse 2, refrain, etc..and then play it live or chain it all in the sequencer.
3. Possibly built in speakers.
4. I like Pa1X Pro because its MP3 saving ability.

Can't think of anymore right now...might add later. Meantime I'll wait for anybody's comments.

Thanks all
Jonas

The non pro with speakers also has the mp3 ability, except for the 61 keys and speakers it is identical in specs.

#188613 - 01/11/05 02:51 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks guys for your replies.

As for the CD. I'd sell it with my Triton since it'll increase the probability and price I can sell it at (I'm thinking around 2200-2300). Pretty high, but as I said..this thing is virtually new. I just have to wipe the finger prints from the screen and it'll be 99% brand new.

I should probably check the PA again so I don't get confused. Basically I'm going for the 61 key with speakers. I think it has most of the basic/intermediate functions that Triton Studio has..I'm pretty old school anyway, I only use the keyboard to do 'mainstream' songs instead of the Hip Hop or songs with full effects.

#188614 - 01/11/05 03:29 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
1.I find that using "display hold" can help with navigating the PA1Xpro.
2. My main concern was the instrument selection when using the STS feature or One Touch. OS 2.0 allows you to see the 4 selected sounds . I find the sound choices to be musically correct and like what's selected.
3. Even though the piano is not as good as my SD1, I can deal with it because all the other sounds on the PA1Xpro are better than the SD1, such as, guitars,organs,e.piano's,synth sounds are better with the Korg imo .
4. I think the styles are more contemporary on the Korg PA1Pro X . Some very nice arrangements with nice underlying parts. Once I found out how to change sounds & volumnes within the style's , I really liked what I'm getting from the Korg.
5. After using the SD1 at Church for about 16 months, when using the Korg, the congregation really liked the sound of the Korg.

That's it Dan O'

------------------
Ketron, Yamaha, Casio,Roland arranger keyboards.
http://www.keyboardcity.net

1-866-348-8876

#188615 - 01/11/05 04:22 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Harold Offline

"WOW" Dano...That's saying quite a bit, You like the Sounds, except the Piano better than the SD-1...I thaught the Golden Trumpet would never be beat!...Man those demo's sound Good...You aren't foolin' are you Dano?...Hummmmm I may have to call you...By the way, I wondered how long it would take for you to get in on this subject!...Your Friend...Harold

#188616 - 01/11/05 05:15 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
KN_Fan Offline

I wonder why I don't see the Pa1X (or Pro) at the GC?

I live in Portland Oregon...GC here is pretty big, but their inventory is not too diverse. Even in a big city like SF, I didn't see Pa1X...cause they think it's too expensive?

#188617 - 01/11/05 08:08 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
I wonder why I don't see the Pa1X (or Pro) at the GC?

I live in Portland Oregon...GC here is pretty big, but their inventory is not too diverse. Even in a big city like SF, I didn't see Pa1X...cause they think it's too expensive?

Harold and KN_FAN, I live in So. California and the GC in La Mesa, CA. is the second highest volume GC in the Country. In other words, they sell more stuff than any GC except one, (the one in Nashville, TN) - the music capitol of the world!

I have never seen a Korg Pa1X/PRO in the La Mesa store. The La Mesa store carries music gear that you most likely won't find at most other GC's, like the new Hammond XK-3 and the Nord Electro2 73 Key model. Even then; Korg hasn't seen fit to let this high volume store carry the Pa1X/PRO on display. You can order the Pa1X/PRO from this GC though. It is a special item that can only be purchased on order. Not very good business sense if you ask me. A lot of musicians won't buy unless they can actually play the keyboard firsthand before deciding whether to purchase it or not. Then again Korg probably realizes that most people won't plunk down mega bucks for a Keyboard so it would just be taking up space at GC or anywhere else for that matter. Instead they are catering to the rich who can purchase it by way of special order if they want to, and leave the space on the floor for their big sellers like the Korg Triton Extreme and Triton Studio series which cost much less comparitively in all but a few instances (the Triton Studio 88 Key fully blown model for one). Plus in keeping potential customers from actually playing it first, the ones that do purchase it sight unseen will probably be less likely to return it IMO because of the hassle involved with returning special order item[s]. -- Just a thought.

So even though a person may be somewhat dis-satisfied with the Pa1X/PRO, he may keep it anyway just to avoid the hassle of returning his special order item.

>> Korg is smarter than we think...

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-11-2005).]

#188618 - 01/11/05 11:58 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
The non pro with speakers also has the mp3 ability, except for the 61 keys and speakers it is identical in specs.

not exactly though.pro version comes with HD,and in non pro model HD is an option.

#188619 - 01/12/05 12:15 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
jamman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Harold and KN_FAN, I live in So. California and the GC in La Mesa, CA. is the second highest volume GC in the Country.
I have never seen a Korg Pa1X/PRO in the La Mesa store. The La Mesa store carries music gear that you most likely won't find at most other GC's, like the new Hammond XK-3 and the Nord Electro2 73 Key model.

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-11-2005).]

GC or Sam ash they just don't have high end arrangers.most of the sale persons (yes in KB dept)don't know/never heard/seen Ketron/solton or GEM (even Technics)KB's in their lives.

the only So Cal arranger shop that has most stuff would be George Kaye's.He has alot of mideast customers (who are mosly into highend arrangers only).

GC /and samash will carry 3k,tyros,some low end PSRs,exr(sam ash)and casio WK's ,etc generally.They don't sell(and are not well informed about) arrangers much.

#188620 - 01/12/05 10:24 AM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Harold Offline

Mike...I agree with your thaughts...Korg and ALL the Manufactures are VERY Business "Smart"....BUT AGAIN I think they need to be more HUMBLE and (Street Smart)...By This I mean, Example... spending time with Alot of These Pro Arranger users and even Non-Pro Users about what's needed for Improvements in their Instruments...Gee, Marketing to me is Finding what the Customer Needs...Provide it...and Improve it using the Customer base...It kind of boils down to "Customer Service"...not to be Harsh, But Sometimes Corporations act like Someone sucks their Brains out after reaching a certain level in Management!!!...Not nice to say I know, but it gets to the Point...Even the Big "M" will put Salt on the Fries to sell the 6 cent(cost)...99 cent Retail COKE!...It's called Marketing and Profit Returns...Have a Great Day!

#188621 - 01/12/05 12:20 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
Organizer Offline

Loc: Maplewood, NJ, USA
After reading all the reviews for a new arranger (my X4 decided to stop playing for about 5 minutes on New Year's Eve), I finally settled on either the SD1 or the PA1XPRO. Being that there is a local dealer that sells both I figured the best thing was to do a side by side at the dealership. Due to the crowds at the store I used a pair of dealer supplied headphones to check out both systems. First, I auditioned the PA1XPRO for about 45 minutes (specifically since the navigation has changed considerably since the i3 (which I had been using to trigger the X4) I wanted to make sure that the test was completely impartial. Then onto the SD1. After hearing the two side by side attempting to use both similar systles and patches, I placed my deposit on the SD1, primarily based upon the ease of navigation and the more realistic sounds. My intent was to pick the keyboard up the next day. Do to the onset of what turned out to be a 48 hour bug of some sort, I was unable to pick up the keyboard as expected. Yesterday, I went back to the dealer to complete my transaction for the SD1 but something told me that, not only should I bring my singing partner (my wife) with me to evaluate the sounds, but also, I should try both systems again but this time though a speaker system rather than the earphones. Now, let it be known that I have not been a major fan of Ketron support, however, even with that in mind I had thought that, at least, the SD1 is a more mature keyboard than the PA1XPRO and based upon a variety of snythzone posts regarding the SD1, Ketron is working on improving their support. To make a very long story short, I am now the proud owner of a PA1XPRO based upon the sounds that I had, apparently, not been able to hear through the headphones (or maybe it was the oncoming cold). The sounds and styles are terrific the flexibility with the CD-R and MP3 options allow me to eliminate a variety of external gagetry. The good news is that the keyboard (50+ lbs) will remain, almost exclusively in the cafe (we used to move B3s and Leslies....not anymore) and just as the i3 was at the forfront of technology back in 1993, I believe that Korg support as well as seveal 3rd party vendors, this keyboard should be able to last for a good long time. One other thing for all of the keyboard players that join us at the cafe...this new 76 key keyboards has a real nice feel and should satisfy even the most discriminating player.

#188622 - 01/12/05 02:17 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was able to touch, feel, see and hear the PAX1-PRO at Dan0's Keyboard City today, and while the individual voices could all be rated good to excellent, I was not enamored with the drum kits, and the few styles I heard were a bit soft for my taste. Additionally, the weight of the board, touch screen and somewhat complex OS seemed to be drawbacks for anyone doing things on the fly. I sincerely believe Yamaha is on the right track with its OS, allow you to select from several areas on the fly while performing. Guess that's why I just bought another 3000. And, as most of you know I gotta' have backups.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#188623 - 01/12/05 04:27 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Choosing the PSR3000 over the Korg Pa1x, I must ask why? I've noticed that there are not to many Korg owners, makes we wonder why since they seem to have great arrangers, they are always more expensive than the others. Could pricing be the reason?

#188624 - 01/12/05 08:07 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
jamman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
Choosing the PSR3000 over the Korg Pa1x, I must ask why? I've noticed that there are not to many Korg owners, makes we wonder why since they seem to have great arrangers, they are always more expensive than the others. Could pricing be the reason?

korg PA 50,60(most sounds are identical to pa1x) is lower than 3k price wise.

resons other than price

less poly(62),same rom(32mb-triton board),(ofcourse you also have basic sampling but most arranger gigers don't use them or band/studio musicians prefer workstation sampler for better editing)
though PA is good for sound,some functions, korg hasn't improved it's OS.same old 1993's I3.same amount of erratic fills(fill1,2 now break button which does simple crash)(in yam fills are more realistic and have 4 per style),over orchestrated styles,more tango/ethnic than regular pop,rock,dance styles,in Korg some styles are good for certain songs only(where in yam they are more open and simpler)chord recognition(no rootless),arranger and seq/mid file playback doesnt work together(yam do that -while playing a mid file you can change a different drum style/beat from preset arranger styles(yes not only the kit),pads that does single sounds(new OS will correct that I heard)(in yam you can program loops like RPS in Roland),etc.

yes yam's hard ware look like a toy,keys are not as good,some sounds are not that great,seq is just a song recorder,no real sound editing,on board RAM mem is nothing compared to korg/roland..

but the bottom line yam made it right for an arranger(all in one package what most real arranger gigers need,functions,storage,third party support of styles-better than all others,weight,price,and also resale value-it's very quick to sell a 2k,2100,or 3k,tyros than g1000,VA or pa80 as you know)(like korg did with it's workstations)so it does sell.

read these (though most are for PA80,60/50 vs 3k),pa1x still have more or less same OS
and hard ware buttons.(except new mp3,CDR,HD,VH,more styles/sounds)arranger
functions are the same.
if korg improve the OS/fills and issues mentioned above it'll be the best seller.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009086.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009293.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009096.html

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-12-2005).]

#188625 - 01/12/05 08:28 PM Re: Korg PA1X-Pro....How do you rate it????
jamman Offline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online