SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#188176 - 04/11/07 11:51 AM MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Can someone with a Mediastation please post some demos... I know the styles have come into question, but what about posting examples of the voices too??

Can someone orchestrate a simple composition. Use a style if you like, or whatever, but man it would be great to hear others using it...
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#188177 - 04/11/07 02:20 PM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I second that emotion.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#188178 - 04/11/07 02:35 PM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
squeak.... The voices can be whatever you put into it. If you have 5 or 6 grand to spare, you can put the entire VSL orchestral library in there. You can put the best GIGA pianos that money can buy. You can put BFD or DFH in there (if they accept the Linux wrapper).

Without the arranger features, this is nothing more than a big, fast computer with a keyboard stuck on it. Old news. We 'get it'. We all already know what good VSTi's can sound like (or you can go to the VSTi maker's site and hear its' capabilities).

The sounds that come with the MS (they are demoed at the site) IMO don't compare to a T2 or E80. Not even close...

But without great styles and great internal voices to play them through, this is a VERY expensive DAW. And not even a good mid-price arranger. Maybe Dom should just go and post on the workstation forum until he finally wises up and realizes that arranger players want styles first and foremost. Nothing else matters until THAT 'minor' issue is taken care of. An arranger without great styles is a workstation..... if that.

#188179 - 04/11/07 03:20 PM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
squeak.... The voices can be whatever you put into it. If you have 5 or 6 grand to spare, you can put the entire VSL orchestral library in there. You can put the best GIGA pianos that money can buy. You can put BFD or DFH in there (if they accept the Linux wrapper).

Without the arranger features, this is nothing more than a big, fast computer with a keyboard stuck on it. Old news. We 'get it'. We all already know what good VSTi's can sound like (or you can go to the VSTi maker's site and hear its' capabilities).

The sounds that come with the MS (they are demoed at the site) IMO don't compare to a T2 or E80. Not even close...

But without great styles and great internal voices to play them through, this is a VERY expensive DAW. And not even a good mid-price arranger. Maybe Dom should just go and post on the workstation forum until he finally wises up and realizes that arranger players want styles first and foremost. Nothing else matters until THAT 'minor' issue is taken care of. An arranger without great styles is a workstation..... if that.

Very True!

#188180 - 04/11/07 03:21 PM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
Dnj Offline

Fran post some demos from your Medistation for us

#188181 - 04/11/07 04:14 PM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
squeak_D Offline

Yeah Fran, give us some demos man
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#188182 - 04/11/07 07:02 PM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
Diki Offline

We've heard Fran's MS demos before, don't tease the poor guy!

Do you still even HAVE the MS, Fran? And are you gigging it, or does your G1000 still blow it away (for live use)?

#188183 - 04/12/07 05:00 AM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I would also like to hear some new demos from the Mediastation to see if it has improved over the last year.
It's alright people saying it has access to gigabytes of drum sounds that are better than the T2/E80 etc. The drums may be better, but they are useless if no one knows how to program good styles with them.
You could sample all the best drum kits in the world then give them to someone who knows nothing about programming styles and see what happens, or is this what has already happened here?

#188184 - 04/12/07 05:10 AM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
squeak_D Offline

--------------------------------------------
You could sample all the best drum kits in the world then give them to someone who knows nothing about programming styles and see what happens,
--------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree with that more. It goes for any VST, Giga, or whatever. If the person recording the demo has a complete disregard for "dynamics" and has no understanding of how "quantizing" can sometimes be an enemy to what you're recording, then the demo will be of poor quality.

I love the concept of the MS... I really do, but man that drum demo really left a sour taste in my mouth. I saw some good demos of the main guy who is always demoing the unit. I think what he's doing sounds good and very promising.... Personally I just don't see what the hold up is for good demos. They don't even have to be videos..., just audio demos.

Hell I've got the equipment to post CD quality Demos of my keyboard, and the multi-track digital unit to do this cost me only $250!

#188185 - 04/12/07 09:11 AM Re: MEDIASTATION Owners: Please post some demos!
Diki Offline

There's a whole page of style demos at Lionstracs. Constantly updated. You aren't listening to year-old demos. That's as good as it gets, RIGHT NOW.

If it wasn't for the sad fact that, potentially, the MS really COULD be a good arranger, it would be funny....

Dom is trying to sell us a chassis and engine, but calling it a car.... Sorry, but in my book, you have to put a body on, some paint-work and some interior fittings before it's a car.

Yeah, that's it.... Mediastation - the kit car of arrangers.

If you are a mechanical engineer, it's great. If you just drive, you're in trouble....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online