SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18763 - 11/14/00 10:24 PM Roland JV1010 or Korg Nx5r ?
cre8ivity Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, FL
I am going to purchase Cubase for my PC and of course you need a sound module for sounds. well I narrowed it down to the ROland JV1010 and the Korg Nx5r. both have a lot of patches and effects. but the Roland does not have that super-duper LCD like the Korg. is it really equal regardless? I want to produce mainly hip hop beats. Also do any of these modules have and effect that sort of "dirty" up the sounds to give it that 12-bit EMU SP1200 feel? you know that ol vinyl sound. I know the Roland jx305 has a "old vinyl" patch. thanks,

#18764 - 01/20/01 03:29 PM Re: Roland JV1010 or Korg Nx5r ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
First off, if you're going to use Cubase, depending on the version, it'll have some effects processing of its own and its easy to find simple plug-ins for exotica it might not have. Most of the better programs are MIDI plus audio these days, so consider what kind of study & work load you're ready to shoulder to get a vinyl effect or some other off-the-path goods. Computers have become REAL GOOD at saving you the expense of outboard FX.
Second, the JV-1010 comes with Emagic Soundiver editing software that allows you to do whatever you like, You can't edit the 1010 from the front panel, but this makes it a whole 'nother show. And if you're into it, there's a slot for one of Roland's library cards, which are pricey but excellent overall.
The Korg lets you edit from the panel and it has a serial port on the back that bypasses the need for a MIDI interface. I prefer a display, too, but in a half-rack module, it seems like less of a real issue. You're almost SUPPOSED to use a computer to edit.
As far as sound, its subjective. More of Korg's presets have a dynamic character that I personally like, but I've never played or owned a Roland that was a complete slouch, either, so let your ears decide.

Huey

#18765 - 01/20/01 06:13 PM Re: Roland JV1010 or Korg Nx5r ?
cre8ivity Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, FL
Thanks for the advice, but i posted this so long ago that i changed my mind on which sound module i will consider. I recentely purchased a Roland JV 1080, but it hasn't come in yet. someone told me it was sort of an industry standard. what do you think of it?
also I purchased Cubasis for my computer, which i guess is a basic version of cubase. is it good enough? what does it not have?
thanks again!

#18766 - 03/12/01 09:08 PM Re: Roland JV1010 or Korg Nx5r ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
Boy, look at that date, I've been away for too long! The 1080 is a MUCH better buy than a "mere" 1010, you did well there. The 1010 is sort of a beefy add-on unit where space is a consideration; its almost a thoughtful "Best of Roland" item for tight budgets, whereas the 1080 is a complete mutha!
I also see Cubasis as being great for beginners. When you're ready for more power, if indeed you ever NEED it, you'll be better prepared because you have Cubasis under your belt already. Don't worry about being underpowered; its a rare listener who would know or CARE what software you used and elitists who value that over the musical results may eat dog jakes. You're well positioned to do a lot as it is. If you can master the power you have with just those two items, you'll KNOW when or if you're ready for more.
I've been happily using a lone Korg 01/Wfd for several years and not one person who has danced to my stuff in clubs has questioned the circuitry over the results. Keep that in mind the next time you're scratching your head over music in general!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online