SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#187490 - 02/13/01 10:22 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Roel,

Re: "You will get over the (Solton SD-1)chord recognition problem"

Yes I could easily alter my keyboard playing style to playing only "basic" stock chord voicings to meet Solton's chord recognition limitations, but this definitely limits the professional chord sounds that you can create as a pianist playing on an arranger keyboard. I am indeed very impressed with many of the SD-1's new features and sound improvements (especially the acoustic piano), but I still continue to find its' chord recognition problem a serious limitation for a pro piano player who wants to play the arranger keyboard in a two hand jazz/blues influenced comping style.

Roel, I am definitely NOT anti-Solton. In fact, quite the contrary (especially after auditioning the SD-1). I just WISHED Solton could "see the light" in the chord recognition dept and follow Technics & Yamaha's lead. I think if Solton implements the chord recognition features that both Yamaha & Technics already support, that Solton would then have the potential of broadening its' appeal to professional seasoned keyboard combo players as well. Solton has the potential (as evidenced by the SD-1) to compete and possibly overtake the industry giant, Yamaha in the arranger keyboard dept, but this can ONLY happen if (Solton) listens to the needs of their customers. I am really curious to find out if Sandro at Solton will respond to my request (via George Kaye) for rootless chord recogniton or not. Because being able to play professional sounding chord voicings is such an important part of my playing style & the associated sound it accomplishes, I just cannot live with the SD-1's chord recognition limitations. If the people at Solton (or ANYONE here on this board) can tell me just ONE good reason they decided to implement the chord recognitions they chose instead of the ones both Yamaha, Technics, and other pro players play in common practice, then please tell me NOW. I personnally think some guy who isn't even a keyboard player came up with those chord recognitions (based on music theory alone, not actual playing). I mean is there ANYONE on this board who actually has used the chords that Solton set forth for its' associated chords recognized? If so, please come forward NOW.

Just in case anyone is still interested (yeah right), here is a link to the letter I sent to Sandro (Solton) outlining the specific chords and associated chord recognitions I am requesting.
http://www.synthworld.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/001167.html

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-13-2001).]

#187491 - 02/13/01 10:29 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
(The KN2k, KN3k and the KN5k gave me more problems than the X1 ever did)

Interesting. I have not had ANY problems with my Technics KN5000 in the almost 3 years of regular gigging.

Scott

#187492 - 02/14/01 08:29 AM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Scott,
I received a call from Ricky Lawson last week ( M.Jackson's drummer , Phil Collins drummer, Steely Dan's drummer ) . I received a call from Brian Simpson ( J.Jackson's keyboardist ). They are very interested in the SD1 . They are interested more in how to apply the awesome "live" drums to there studio recordings. They are interested in just having access to the authentic sounds of the SD1 .
So, there are many PRO musicain's (non-combo)who have been exposed to the SD1 and like it.
Dan O .
The keyboard hasn't even hit the streets yet . Very few people have been exposed to the Sd1. Only dealers at the Namm show and other artist like yourself . Perhaps they will adjust the chord recoginition. We really won't know until it starts to arrive.
If it is not fixed, don't buy it.

#187493 - 02/15/01 09:56 AM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
Roel Offline

Hi all,

I am no dealer but I'm pretty sure within a few weeks I will be a SD1 enthousiast !

I ordered the SD1 and the Benelux distributor promised the first SD1's for the Netherlands in March.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-15-2001).]

#187494 - 02/15/01 11:48 AM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
KeyboardFreak Offline

Actually Scott.... I would much prefer the chords you said they should change. I qoute.......

"Currently your arranger keyboard's (including the SD-1) chord recognition table interpretes the following notes (played as a chord from left to right) as:
(F - A - C - E) : Fmaj7
(F - C - E) : Fmaj7
(F - B - E) : Fmaj7b5
(E - A - D) : A sus
(B - F - A) : F 5b"

In my style of playing (mostly praise and worship and rock/soft rock) I would much prefer these notes be interpreted as they are now, which I think (note the "I") is much more useful than such chords as *13 and *69 chords. Of course I don't use an arranger keyboard, but if I did... I would want it the first way. Maybe the solution would be a button that can change between modes or a way to tell the keyboard how to interpret certain chords (a user-assignable chord recognition table)

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#187495 - 02/15/01 03:53 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
Scottyee Offline

Hi John,

I of course agree that (F-A-C-E) should & must be recognized as Fmaj7, but WHY does (F-C-E) ALSO have to be recognized as Fmaj7?

John, how often (if at all) do you ever play an Fmaj7b5? If I did ever need to, I certainly would never voice that chord without including the all important 3rd of the chord (note: A). If a pianist ever wanted to play Fmaj7b5, they would NEVER play (F-B-E) as it is missing the "all important" color tone (maj/minor tonality) 3rd of of the chord.

The (E-A-D) voicing admittedly has a dual function and I can see where this voicing might be commonly used for for playing Asus. It just so happens that this (E-A-D) voicing is also a very popular piano comping voicing for C6(9) as well.

As far as F5b is concerned, I think this is an essoteric chord at best. I assume that this symbolizes an F triad with a flatted fifth. Does ANYONE really play this chord at all? I certainly haven't run across it in any of my MANY (hundreds of) fake books/charts. This chord voicing is instead, a very popular (rootless) voicing for G7(9), popularly played by pianists when playing classic R&B-Soul where the 9th is commonly played. John, you say that you play praise worship/soft rock music. Can you tell me a specific song where F5b comes up? And if so, would you actually want to play (F-B-E) as a voicing for this chord? I mean, where's that all important note A (the 3rd of the chord)?

In all my years as a keyboard player, I don't remember coming across a chart with Fmaj7b5, or F5b. If I ever did, I certainly would NEVER use the voicings that Solton assigned them because they lack the ALL IMPORTANT 3rd (color tone) of the chord.

In conclusion, I agree (with you John) that the best solution might be for keyboard arranger manufacters to come up with a "user programable" feature which allows us the player, to setup/customize our own custom chords & related voicings which best meet our indiviual playing styles/needs. In fact, this EXACT feature is already available on the "newest top of the line model" Lowery brand Organ (essentially a full sized electronic Organ version of a portable arranger keyboard). This new Lowery Organ feature is winning acclaim by keyboard professionals worldwide so I hope the arranger keyboard manuafacers will follow suit by implementing this feature.

Scott
San Francisco Bay Area, CA

#187496 - 02/15/01 07:32 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
KeyboardFreak Offline

John???? Where'd you get my name was John???? Or is that just from my sig????

About the chords..... Most praise and worship music is built around simple easy to play chord changes that can readily be learned... so I don't run into bMaj7 or b5 chords that much.... I can see your point there.
But I have to disagree with you on the Fmaj7 having both fingerings (F-A-C-E and F-C-E) I would prefer to be able to leave out the third to make changes (and inversions) easier and quicker. And I definitely would prefer the Asus inversion over C6(9)...... *sus chords are very common in P&W, especially going between *sus and normal chords instead of just 4 beats of the base chord.
So... to each his own.... I think definitely the BEST way for any company to head would be user-definable chord tables..... one more thing, where DID "John" come from (I'm just curious)

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

[This message has been edited by KeyboardFreak (edited 02-15-2001).]

#187497 - 02/15/01 09:31 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
Scottyee Offline

Hi Keyboard Freak,
Sorry about mixing you up with one of Jesus' Disciples. I guess I had mistakenly called you John because it seemed more natural to associate than the name "Keyboard Freak". I guess I could have called you Paul, Peter, Mark, Luke, James, Matthew .... but then again even Jesus' Disciples had nicknames (Peter was Jesus' nickname for Simon, right?). BTW, Keyboard Freak, if you don't mind, you got me curious now, what is your 'real' name?

Scott

#187498 - 02/16/01 08:11 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
KeyboardFreak Offline

I'm pretty sure you're right about Peter.... No offense, but I prefer to remain pretty anonymous if I can so........... John will do though if I just NEED a name in the future.

------------------

#187499 - 09/15/01 02:43 AM Re: Yamaha 9000pro vs Solton SD-1: Interesting Observation
Zamar333 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey, I'm involved in Praise and Worship music a lot, and would like to ask if anyone else in this field has made a choice btwn purchasing the Yamah9000pro or Solton SD-1, and what their criteria and observations were? I just bought an SD1 today, and used to use a Roland E-86. One feature I really need is the ability to create a spontaneous chord progression during worship, then loop it, and add various instruments live to build the impact and effect. Now with the vocalization technology I can just imagine the power to touch people's emotions in a live worship setting. Anybody out there have some comments about any of this? ~Steve K

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online