So you've got some spare time on your hands and you decide to surf the net for new midi files. Something worthy of adding to the collection. A lot of times it's the same old stuff, we either already have it or it's so bad that nothing is going to make it sound good. But once in a while you come across something good.

Not too long ago I found a version of BoyzIIMen's "I'll Make Love To You" that sounds pretty good. It didn't look like it belonged to Tune100 and it's not in their catalog (the last time I looked). But this version did not come with a lead vocal track or lyrics. No problem, I'll put them in using Calkwalk. Adding lyrics to a midi that has a lead vocal track is pretty easy, I've done a bunch. But this is the first time I've added a lead vocal track, then the lyrics. And to spice it up even more, I decided to add a four part harmony during the chorus.

I'd like you guys to try it out with your vocal harmonizers and see what you think. I tried it on my WK8's and it was so-so. I'm not sure if I've got the chord structures correct. Fundamentally I think they are okay (I used a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th structure) but I don't know if that's the way you should do it for singing.(?)

Anyway, here's the link.

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/midi/imlty.mid

I haven't done anything to the events in the song itself. What you hear is what I got. All I did was add the lead vocal to Track 4 (and nothing fancy here, no pitch-bends or modulations, just the notes), added the lyrics, tried to get the timing right, then added the chords for a 4-part harmony. Because I like to use the BIG fonts on my WK8 for showing lyrics, I setup the lyric spacing for 20 characters or less per line.

Have fun!

mike

PS. The next one I'm working on...I found a very nice rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". This one sounds like the real-deal, not the crappy ones that have been floating around for the last few years. No lyrics but it does have the lead track.