SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18728 - 12/30/98 08:14 AM Getting started with an M1
Pastor Dave Offline

Loc: River Falls, WI
I am the proud new owner of a Korg M1. I have been using it for about 3 weeks and like it alot, but I am really at a loss for resources on using the M1 to its fullest. I am currently using it to play background strings and lead lines at church, but would like to do additional MIDI work and composing using Cakewalk or another similiar program. I would sure welcome any ideas on getting started.

#18729 - 12/30/98 03:07 PM Re: Getting started with an M1
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
Hiya, Pastor! Don't be "freaked", its just my nickname. I didn't even choose it, it was conferred upon me! Don't ask! If its of any comfort to you, I have a great bumper sticker that says "Satan Is A Nerd!"
First, go to keyboardmag.com and check out their resources. Its a very straightforward and informative magazine & their website has archives & info you should check out. They also have an internal search engine that will enable you to look up old reviews as needed, text-only.
A couple of years ago, they did an entire article on the available 3rd-party M1 sounds and the back issue should be available for $10, I believe. If you can't get it and want it, keep my address handy and I'll photocopy the whole thing for you. No problem! I also have the original M1 review they did, if you like.
Next, check out their classifieds, which offer sequences, sounds, etc. In particular, kidnepro.com will have a fair set of M1 sounds if you want to beef up your library.
Then use a search engine and enter "Cubase synthesizer Cakewalk Voyetra Steinberg software," which should lead you to a BEWILDERING number of sources. While I choose to live within my Korg sequencer's environment, I'm led to understand that there is a good "Cubase Lite" program that will get you rolling without the esoterica of more complex programs for film soundtrack pros or what have you. I have a friend who raves about Cubase, so its a tip to consider. Again, Keyboard mag. is a great place to start. Hope this helps you out.

#18730 - 12/30/98 07:36 PM Re: Getting started with an M1
Pastor Dave Offline

Loc: River Falls, WI
Hellpope Huey, sounds like a good name to me. I'm sure you have a great story behind it. As to me, ordaination gave me the Pastor Part, but I was a Rock-N-Roller before that. Then I was in construction work, so if my vocabulary was not complete before then, I think it has gotten there now. I really am a pastor, I've just found that you can celebrate the music we listen to in church, not just in our cars or at home.

Thanks for your reply. I am thankful for your thoroughness. I will start looking at the resources tonight that you gave me.

One of the questions I have for you is how do I edit out sounds and add them in? I have down loaded the KorkM1 Editor and the Midieditor files, but I'm making the assumption that if I cable up my computer properly to the M1 that I can get it figured out. Do you know of a resource that could walk me through. As with computers and keyboards in the past, I learn very quickly and often don't really mess with manuals, but in this case, I'm not really familiar with the interfaces or even hooking up properly.

As to Cubasis, I'll check it out. I have not yet purchased a composition program, so I am very open to whatever it takes to create compositions and midi files. I have a lot of great musicians, but occasionally someone is gone and it helps to have MIDI to fill out the absent musician.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online