SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186883 - 02/17/05 08:14 AM Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Steve, I need your help with something. I just purchased a PSR-2000 from a forum member. The board was his backup and is in excellent shape. I however cannot get rid of a static noise in the background. It's not the typical hiss of a speaker either. I just realized it's also in the output jacks, and the headphone jack as well. Any suggestions. The board I'm sure is no longer in warranty, but I want to get this fixed. I highly doubt there are any authorized service centers within 100 miles of me. I live outside of Charleston West Virginia.

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186884 - 02/17/05 08:28 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Squeak,
Back in the beginning of the PSR2000 days I had a few with static coming from the outputs and the speakers. I sent these back to Yamaha. I discovered it was coming from the DSP processor. If I turned the Reverb completely off there was no noise. The type of noise was a static type electrical poping sound.
(Retired 2021)

#186885 - 02/17/05 08:44 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

George thanks for the info.. I tried this and it still didn't clear the noise. It is a noise like you described. I did this however. I picked up the board while it was on and moved it around physically. The noise went away at one point, but when I returned it to the stand it was back. I'm at a loss, I can't find anything that would be interfering with it in my condo, unless it's thw wiring in this place and the grounding isn't correct. Could it possibly be the power supply?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186886 - 02/17/05 09:12 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Man I tell you it's got to be something in my home. I've moved this board all over my condo trying different wall outlets. Certain places if I go closer to the wall it gets bad, and in some places it's almost gone completely. I even noticed last night the when I leaned over the board to adjust the line input that static increased and when I sat back down it decreased. My goodness what's going on?????? I haven't had any problems with my Casio WK-3500 picking up noise or signals.

I forgot to add that the noise is primarily coming from the tweeters. If I cover up the tweeters with my hands everything sounds find. I'm must getting a lot static popping coming from the tweeters.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-17-2005).]

#186887 - 02/17/05 09:52 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man I tell you it's got to be something in my home.

squeak .... did you try it in another location (someone else's house) ? ...
t.

#186888 - 02/17/05 10:05 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
squeak .... did you try it in another location (someone else's house) ? ...
t.

Like mine. Squeak. Fire it over to me, and I'll check it out.
Your probably not finding this funny.
Starkeeper

#186889 - 02/17/05 10:17 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
your jammy is probably more sensitive to noise on your incomming ac power.

maybe you can try to put a netfilter between the outlet and your kB.

Places like radioshack should sell something like that

#186890 - 02/17/05 10:27 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

I suspect it has something to do with the grounding system in your condo, therefore I suggest bypassing the ground system by using a ground defeater plug which is an inexpensive AC adapter plug. While I normally would not recommend using an ungrounded system, this may solve your problem.

Also, all keyboards are sensitive to the effects of radiation emmited by flourescent lighting, TV sets, microwave ovens, and even nearby telephone towers that utilize high level microwave signals. I know of one person who was hearing telephone conversations over their keyboard when the keyboard was turned on at higher volume levels and they were not playing.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186891 - 02/17/05 10:38 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

I'm going to be taking it over to my wife's grandparents house this evening. They live less than a five minute drive away. If it still has this problem at their home I'm going to have to look deeper. It's possible the amp is faulty, or possibly the adapter is faulty as well. Either way I'm going to try and narrow this down this evening. I do know there is a local TV station that transmits close to us. However I don't have any problems with other devices in my home. I have not had any problems with my other keyboard picking up static from anything.

Gary, that's funny someone was picking up phone conversations with their keyboard I had an old clock radio that did that.

#186892 - 02/17/05 11:23 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Squeak:

Reading what you've got going I'm guessing your whole house may have a problem with its grounding system, and probably squeaking by (no PUN here) by using the power company ground, which is a antenna of sorts. Don't know what your power company policy is, but here a report of power problems usually gets a free checkout from them. You should have a ground to a ground rod at your service entrance, or ground wire embedded in the foundation, or if a very old house grounding to a water pipe.
things to check for. Loose connections on ground at box and rod (tighten up all bare wire ground terminals in box) also have the power company retighten all lugs in the box and the meter base. (these loosen up from expansion/contraction from heat, and all copper to aluminium lugs get loose from use) Another possible for (poping crackling sound) loose connections from power company's transformer to meter, or a loose ground on the big transformer itsself.

Notice any noise, hiss,pops etc from T.V.'s stereo's etc? This would point to power or power ground problem.

I'm assuming yamaha has the 2000 grounded and has sheilded Rf (radio frequencies) producing areas.

Where their is noise problems Usually old tube amps etc. that love to amplify florecent lights etc. a seperated power source is required. I have one built in in my studio that handles everything on the stage at one end. I built this and it runs everything. All it is, is a 30 amp 220v (heavy duty) transformer that steps the power to 120v This cleans up the power very nicely and takes out about 90% of noise. I installed it in a large black box.

Just thought of something else you might try, havn't checked this out but seems like I recall the 2000 has a wall wart power transformer, If it does you might try using another one, maybe its got a leak in its insulation. Hope you find the problem and get it fixed, (very annoying to have good sound with a bug in it) ......Cheers......Pose

#186893 - 02/17/05 12:04 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

The noise problem is specific to only the keyboard in my house. No other electical devices in my home have this problem. I can actually pick the board up while on and plugged in, and move it to another location and hear the static stop in some spots and increase in others. If my test this evening at my wife's grandparents yield good results I'm going to Radio Shack and buying a AC line filter, and hopefully that will help with the noise. I even noticed when I waived my hand over the board and even leaned over it the static got worse. It's like that board is calling home to the mother ship or something

Squeak

#186894 - 02/17/05 01:03 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Squeak, don't bother with a line filter, if it was coming from the line, moving it around wouldn't change it. If your test prooves that the problem is localized, it becomes very difficult to troubleshoot because the tech can't come to your house to fix it. If this turns out to be the case, call me and I'll help you troubleshoot it over the phone. I'm at 714.522.9000

Steve

#186895 - 02/17/05 01:49 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Wow! Now THAT is service!
Eddie

#186896 - 02/17/05 03:37 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Damm that's service... Steve I'll be giving you a call.

However I'm happy to report that it's not my PSR-2000 causing the problem. I took it to my wife's grandparents house, and voila no static noise from the tweeters. All I noticed was just a little "white noise" from the speakers. Some never even notice this noise. I think it's a combination of the wiring in this place and other factors such as (local TV station ant. in the area), and other things in my home.

Squeak

#186897 - 02/17/05 06:17 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Steve,
I tried your suggestion but without success. I cannot locate the signal that's causing the problem. It's very frustrating too. I have this great keyboard and I can't get the enjoyment out of it I should be due to this problem. What costs am I looking at if I ship the board to you?

Thanks,
Squeak

#186898 - 02/18/05 01:03 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Squeak -

Maybe you're the problem . You say that when you leaned over it, it got louder. Maybe you should leave the keyboard in one place and try positioning yourself in various places around the house.

Seriously though, I used to hear local radio stations out of my psr 8000.

Chony

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Steve,
I tried your suggestion but without success. I cannot locate the signal that's causing the problem. It's very frustrating too. I have this great keyboard and I can't get the enjoyment out of it I should be due to this problem. What costs am I looking at if I ship the board to you?

Thanks,
Squeak

#186899 - 02/18/05 03:59 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Well I spoke with Gary, and ruled out a bad amp. The fact that I'm hearing it in the headphone jack and output jacks rules out bad amp. Since the amp is bypassed when plugging in headphone as well as the output jacks. I went and purchased an inexpensive adapter to bypass grounding (hoping it was the ground wiring in my condo, and that didn't fix it either). I'm picking up something from somewhere that's for sure. When talking to Gary over the phone I mentioned that placing my hand on the side of the left speaker caused the noise to go away, so I must have blocked whatever the mystery signal or wave is in my home. I guess I'm going to have to contact Steve next week and see about having extra shielding installed inside the keyboard. Unless someone else has an idea that was not mentioned.

Squeak

#186900 - 02/18/05 06:45 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
I have been lurking on this one and trying to come up with a possible cause. When you said that your hand shielded the instrument, it implied to me that perhaps the internal shield may have become disconnected.

Ten years ago (I do not know the current practice), it was best practice to spray the interior of these moulded housings to provide shielding from external (and often internal!) sources. Your observation makes me concerned that perhaps the connection from this shielding to ground has been disturbed.

Just an idea...

Regards,

Michael

#186901 - 02/18/05 06:52 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Squeak: My 2000 speakers will not function correctly if I am using a microphone. To eliminate the problem, I use headphones. (If the Microphone is turned off, the speakers function perfectly.) In my case, most of the time I am recording songs from the 2000 (as I am simultaneously singing)into a tape deck so I connect the headphones to the deck and put a dummy plug in the headphone port on the front of the 2000. Not ideal but it lets me get my work done. Lately, I purchased a set of headphones from Radio Shack that are wireless to eliminate the dangling cord problem. Hope this helps.

Rice

#186902 - 02/18/05 07:01 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Mike,
Well I'm at a loss as to what I should do. The board could have something faulty or it could be more sensitive than every electical appliance I have in my home. This is what I find odd. If this mystery signal is so strong that my PSR-2000 picks it up all over the house, then why is it that NO other electical device in my home has this problem. It's a specific problem to this keyboard.

Your thought makes sense too about the shield to ground connection. If it's not the board and just some freakish wave signal being picked up I'm just going to have to re-sell the board to someone who wouldn't have this problem in their home. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love this PSR-2000, but can not keep a board and enjoy playing it with this problem. Again this problem could even affect me re-selling it. The fact is the board either has something internally that's faulty or some outside source is causing the problem. Either way I can't imagine someone wanting to buying this keyboard from me on those terms. I'm most likely going to have to shell out a good deal of money to ship it off to Yamaha to have it looked at. Even with the test I ran in my wife's grandfathers house the "hiss" was still present. Even if I turn the volume all the way down the hiss is still there. So again I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

Squeak

#186903 - 02/18/05 07:22 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Riceroni9,
That's actually what I was doing in the beginning. I did the same thing as you by placing a headphone adapter in the headphone jack to cut off the internal speakers while using external speakers.. However here's where I ran into a problem with that.

The majority of the noise I heard from my 2000's speakers came from the tweeters. Ther first speaker set I used was a PC speaker system. It was two satalite speakers with a 25 watt subwoofer. The satalites do not have tweeters. So this noise was greatly reduced. However I compromised sound big time without having the tweeters (it just didn't sound the same). I then hooked up the board to my stereo system. My stereo has 50 watt speakers with woofer, mid, and tweeters. Using those speakers the noise was back because of the tweeters in the cabinets.

So I've hit a wall on this. I bought a AC line filter that didn't solve the problem. I then bought an inexpensive adapter that would allow me to bypass my homes grounding, and that didn't work either.

Squeak

#186904 - 02/18/05 10:41 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Squeak,
there's so many threads running you might have already answered this. May be a bit of a dumb question, but did you actually unplug everything in the house ( not just switch off) and see if it still did it ?

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#186905 - 02/19/05 04:43 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
Squeak:

It is possible the fix would not be so expensive. I recently had my Tyros serviced at a dealer about 2 hours away. They found some bad solder joints that required dismantling the entire instrument. The repair was $75 without shipping. If it is just an open ground, it might be trivial for a qualified tech to do.

I suggest you contact Steve D and ask him what he suggests (local service person or the factory). He was very helpful in my situation.

Michael

#186906 - 02/19/05 05:37 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

I think that' what I'm going to do. I'll contact Steve on Monday, and find out who my closest qualified dealer is. I did a check and found one that's a shop I never heard of. It's 30 miles from where I live. However, I have no idea what these people will charge.

Squeak

#186907 - 02/19/05 07:17 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

While I'm confident the problem you are experiencing is strictly related to problems generated within your condo, and I know the board was in brand-new conditions when shipped, I would hate to see you spend lots of time and money to try to resolve the problem. Therefore, please repack the keyboard, have it fully insured and ship it back via Federal Express. Upon reciept of the keyboard, that hopefully will not be crushed during shipment, the full amount will be refunded.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186908 - 02/19/05 08:13 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary,
May I say that's an honorable offer to make, but no more than I would expect of you.
Still I feel there must be another solution. Wish I knew what it was.
DonM

#186909 - 02/19/05 09:21 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
I second Don’s remarks about Gary. I must say my psr2000 is very durable, it was dropped several times and had 2 or 3 vodka & sodas pored in it but always functioned properly after it was turned upside down and drained. It still works and I will keep it till it dies then give it a proper burial.

#186910 - 02/19/05 09:27 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Gary,
You are without a doubt the most noble and honorable person I've ever done business with. I'm running another test this afternoon. My wife's mother (just like her grandparents), live about 2 miles away. I'm going to pack the 2000 in the box (to keep it safe) run it down to her house and plug it in. I'm hoping (truly hoping) I won't experience the problem there. I'm absolutely loving this PSR-2000. I manged to get a clean spot last night, and MAN I HAD A BLAST!.. I recorded a song using the sweet saprano with a hip hop beat and ooohhhhh baby one hell of a slow jam! Again, thanks for your great offer and I'll keep you posted.

Squeak

#186911 - 02/19/05 09:30 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
One more Idea:
My 9000 keyboard will do exactly the same thing, if I extend the treble on mic setting way high, with the volume way up????

You may have already checked this, if its doing this with no mic plugged in possible mic jack is not grounding out when unplugged(maybe got bent) there by becoming a open cord thats getting amplified......??????

Edit:: Not sure what kind of plug the 2000 has, but if its a 1/4 phone and next to a 1/4 stereo headphone jack, plugging in a stereo jack by mistake into the mono mic jack can bend the grounding arm.....

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 02-19-2005).]

#186912 - 02/19/05 10:24 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by HankB:
I second Don’s remarks about Gary. I must say my psr2000 is very durable, it was dropped several times and had 2 or 3 vodka & sodas pored in it but always functioned properly after it was turned upside down and drained. It still works and I will keep it till it dies then give it a proper burial.

You can't keep it til it dies, because it is in my garage. I slip it a martini once a week so it doesn't feel neglected.
DonM

#186913 - 02/19/05 08:32 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"I recorded a song using the sweet saprano with a hip hop beat and ooohhhhh baby one hell of a slow jam!"

Given things worked out for you...could you post up your songs? IM fully aware they were done first day ( or right of the box ) on a keyboard that gave you some issues...sure everyone else knows this.

Maybe get "keyBplayer" to help ( not to throw his name out there ), just he posts files all the time

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online