SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186883 - 02/17/05 08:14 AM Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Steve, I need your help with something. I just purchased a PSR-2000 from a forum member. The board was his backup and is in excellent shape. I however cannot get rid of a static noise in the background. It's not the typical hiss of a speaker either. I just realized it's also in the output jacks, and the headphone jack as well. Any suggestions. The board I'm sure is no longer in warranty, but I want to get this fixed. I highly doubt there are any authorized service centers within 100 miles of me. I live outside of Charleston West Virginia.

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186884 - 02/17/05 08:28 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Squeak,
Back in the beginning of the PSR2000 days I had a few with static coming from the outputs and the speakers. I sent these back to Yamaha. I discovered it was coming from the DSP processor. If I turned the Reverb completely off there was no noise. The type of noise was a static type electrical poping sound.
(Retired 2021)

#186885 - 02/17/05 08:44 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

George thanks for the info.. I tried this and it still didn't clear the noise. It is a noise like you described. I did this however. I picked up the board while it was on and moved it around physically. The noise went away at one point, but when I returned it to the stand it was back. I'm at a loss, I can't find anything that would be interfering with it in my condo, unless it's thw wiring in this place and the grounding isn't correct. Could it possibly be the power supply?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186886 - 02/17/05 09:12 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Man I tell you it's got to be something in my home. I've moved this board all over my condo trying different wall outlets. Certain places if I go closer to the wall it gets bad, and in some places it's almost gone completely. I even noticed last night the when I leaned over the board to adjust the line input that static increased and when I sat back down it decreased. My goodness what's going on?????? I haven't had any problems with my Casio WK-3500 picking up noise or signals.

I forgot to add that the noise is primarily coming from the tweeters. If I cover up the tweeters with my hands everything sounds find. I'm must getting a lot static popping coming from the tweeters.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-17-2005).]

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-17-2005).]

#186887 - 02/17/05 09:52 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man I tell you it's got to be something in my home.

squeak .... did you try it in another location (someone else's house) ? ...
t.

#186888 - 02/17/05 10:05 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
squeak .... did you try it in another location (someone else's house) ? ...
t.

Like mine. Squeak. Fire it over to me, and I'll check it out.
Your probably not finding this funny.
Starkeeper

#186889 - 02/17/05 10:17 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
your jammy is probably more sensitive to noise on your incomming ac power.

maybe you can try to put a netfilter between the outlet and your kB.

Places like radioshack should sell something like that

#186890 - 02/17/05 10:27 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

I suspect it has something to do with the grounding system in your condo, therefore I suggest bypassing the ground system by using a ground defeater plug which is an inexpensive AC adapter plug. While I normally would not recommend using an ungrounded system, this may solve your problem.

Also, all keyboards are sensitive to the effects of radiation emmited by flourescent lighting, TV sets, microwave ovens, and even nearby telephone towers that utilize high level microwave signals. I know of one person who was hearing telephone conversations over their keyboard when the keyboard was turned on at higher volume levels and they were not playing.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186891 - 02/17/05 10:38 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

I'm going to be taking it over to my wife's grandparents house this evening. They live less than a five minute drive away. If it still has this problem at their home I'm going to have to look deeper. It's possible the amp is faulty, or possibly the adapter is faulty as well. Either way I'm going to try and narrow this down this evening. I do know there is a local TV station that transmits close to us. However I don't have any problems with other devices in my home. I have not had any problems with my other keyboard picking up static from anything.

Gary, that's funny someone was picking up phone conversations with their keyboard I had an old clock radio that did that.

#186892 - 02/17/05 11:23 AM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Squeak:

Reading what you've got going I'm guessing your whole house may have a problem with its grounding system, and probably squeaking by (no PUN here) by using the power company ground, which is a antenna of sorts. Don't know what your power company policy is, but here a report of power problems usually gets a free checkout from them. You should have a ground to a ground rod at your service entrance, or ground wire embedded in the foundation, or if a very old house grounding to a water pipe.
things to check for. Loose connections on ground at box and rod (tighten up all bare wire ground terminals in box) also have the power company retighten all lugs in the box and the meter base. (these loosen up from expansion/contraction from heat, and all copper to aluminium lugs get loose from use) Another possible for (poping crackling sound) loose connections from power company's transformer to meter, or a loose ground on the big transformer itsself.

Notice any noise, hiss,pops etc from T.V.'s stereo's etc? This would point to power or power ground problem.

I'm assuming yamaha has the 2000 grounded and has sheilded Rf (radio frequencies) producing areas.

Where their is noise problems Usually old tube amps etc. that love to amplify florecent lights etc. a seperated power source is required. I have one built in in my studio that handles everything on the stage at one end. I built this and it runs everything. All it is, is a 30 amp 220v (heavy duty) transformer that steps the power to 120v This cleans up the power very nicely and takes out about 90% of noise. I installed it in a large black box.

Just thought of something else you might try, havn't checked this out but seems like I recall the 2000 has a wall wart power transformer, If it does you might try using another one, maybe its got a leak in its insulation. Hope you find the problem and get it fixed, (very annoying to have good sound with a bug in it) ......Cheers......Pose

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online