SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#186755 - 09/13/00 08:49 PM Sound Modules
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
After reading a few post about using midi to overcome "dead-end" sound modules in certain arranger type keyboards I experimented with it a bit. First I midied an Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano to my Roland G1000. I disabled the output from to G1000 so I could hear only the Alesis. It sounded very good. However I'm not sure the exact right sounds were being trigered within in the styles. I had the Alesis set for GM mode and the right hand voices were "on the money". But, what about the styles do they play in the "General MIDI" sound map or use proprietary sound maps. I did notice a lag in response when changing from basic to variation to advanced etc. The triggering of the chord changes was fine but as I said the lag changing variations makes this combination unusable.

So, on to the Roland RA90. Yes I midided it to the G1000. WOW, everything seem to work as it should (again, I set the module for GM mode). I haven't tried layering the G1000 and the RA90 togeather yet but I'm going to. I also have a KORG 03/RW rack module I'm going to experiment with, miding it to the G1000. However, I still need to know about the sound selection to make sure the styles play back properly. Of course I could just hook all of it togeather at once and bathe myself in whatever sound results, WHEE!

#186756 - 09/13/00 09:08 PM Re: Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

I believe that factory styles output through midi are designed to select the nearest GM equivalent to the internal sound (which is not necessarily GM) that is selected by the style. The result should be good, but not necessarily optimal. I noticed several panel sounds on my PSR8000 have the same program change number. If the module allows some remapping, you might get better or at least interesting results. If I could pick an external module, it would be the Roland 5080 because of its world sounds. Second choice would be the Triton rack.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 09-13-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online