SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186716 - 03/04/06 02:29 AM Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Pacesetter Offline

I'm looking for help on buying either a Midjay or Yamaha PSR 3000. Both are in my price range and I have a 88 keyboard that I can use as a controller.

Anyone here ever used a 3000 then switched to midjay, anyone use a midjay then to to the 3000?

#186717 - 03/04/06 05:30 AM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DNJ switched from a 3000 to a Midjay. He can provide you with helpful information that you'll find useful in making your decission.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186718 - 03/04/06 05:57 AM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
I'm looking for help on buying either a Midjay or Yamaha PSR 3000. Both are in my price range and I have a 88 keyboard that I can use as a controller.

Anyone here ever used a 3000 then switched to midjay, anyone use a midjay then to to the 3000?

Pace setter This requires much more info and details on your needs before I can answer your questions..

#186719 - 03/04/06 11:21 AM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Pacesetter Offline

DNJ

Here's what I'm doing right now. I've got a Casio digital piano that has some styles built in. The styles just don't have the variety I'm looking for. Right now I play music at some functions at a local country club and a restaurant that has me play dinner music about once a month. I've heard some terrific things about the PSR 3000, but it only has 61 keys. I remembered at sometime here some had switched from the 3000 to the midjay, but didn't know who it was. Since I already have a keyboard with the Casio it seems to make more sense to buy a module. But with all the positive press here and at the PSR tutorial site. I'm not sure which road to take. I was originally a piano player.

What made you move from the 3000 to the midjay? Do you think it makes sense for a part timer like myself to use a module or an arranger like the 3000?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 03-04-2006).]

#186720 - 03/04/06 12:12 PM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It makes perfect sense for you...It will also give you a facility to play MP3's or wav's files if you choose..

The MidJay will also allow you to make your own backup MP3's that you can recall and play/sing with the MP3..

And with the optional vocal /harmonizer board..another great plus..

#186721 - 03/04/06 12:47 PM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Dnj Offline

Pacesetter.........
If your a PIANO player first then I would suggest 76 or 88 keys so you dont curb your playing style....although 61 keys and light keyfeel the 3K is a wonderfull KB and you would have to midi it to your Casio for you to have the benifits of the 3k's sounds & styles etc, then you have to carry both to jobs....but you would have all the styles & sounds of the 3k to use......plus the sequebcer for SMF if needed...
Yamahas OS is a bit easier to use, and you can store all your setups in Registration files for call up plus use the MFD to store all your songs & most of its setups too, I personally never used the MFD....The 3k has a good Voc processor although many dont like the Vocal Harmonizer & use external units for that like the Digitec units....

Having said that the MidJay is a very Multi flexible, Multi mode Module that does so much more then an arranger keyboard can do including, playing Styles, Wav, Mp3,Crossfades, Smf, Sfx, Lyric Text, Vocal processor, Voc harmony, & Records , plus you can do all this simultaneously in real time with each its OWN SLIDER control or use a FS6 or FS13 foot pedal to control many MJ functions also....it has that fantastic live in your face sound Ketron Units are known for especially in the Bass & Drums & beyond. Is it better the the 3k or Tyros....thats up to you to decide. For me I made the switch and Im very glad I did because I use Everythng the Midjay offers in my shows.....without using a Laptop anymore......but if your just a KB player I'd recommend the SD-1 which would give you the 76 keys, more on board arranger features & great
Ketron sounds & styles..

I would suggest you really go try and play these units before you consider making this change especially if your a piano player first....other options would be a nice 88 key piano style arranger like the ...
Casio Privia Line or some others on the market.....Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-04-2006).]

#186722 - 03/06/06 01:42 AM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Pacesetter Offline

Originally posted by Fran
Quote:
It makes perfect sense for you...It will also give you a facility to play MP3's or wav's files if you choose..

Fran,I like the idea I can still use my 88 key Casio Privia and have just the light easy to carry midjay.

Originally posted by DNJ
Quote:
the 3K is a wonderfull KB and you would have to midi it to your Casio for you to have the benifits of the 3k's sounds & styles etc, then you have to carry both to jobs....but you would have all the styles & sounds of the 3k to use

Carrying 2 keyboards sounds like a little too much work. The light touch and 61 keys is a real negative for me on the 3000.

The SD1 board sounds like a great board, but pricing is more than I want to spend. The flexibility of the Midjay seems to make more sense to me and sounds like it's a "Winner" I will have to locate both the 3000 and Midjay and give them a try.

Thanks for the input!

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 03-06-2006).]

#186723 - 04/04/06 11:54 PM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Heinrich Offline

Hi,

may I include my 2 cents?

I am using the midjay since a week. I admit I had very high expectations, higher than the price of this little thingy allows. But its not all so easy as it was described here and in the ads. You cannot mix or play at the same time two mp3s, as there is only one decoder. You have to change to midi or wav or style when mixing. The efx. processor for voice is very (!) limited. Mixing in sync styles, grooves, wavs and mp3s is not possible. I would not recommend it for dj purposes. The styles of the midjay shine for their groove-loops on drumtrack 2, they can be compared to acid looops. But no way you can edit them beyond voice, volume, pan and efx settings. drum track 2 cannot be altered. And you cannot build your own styles (only via emc software (400 $) on your pc - so this would be a knockout feature for the midjay.
The sound itself is in your face but somewhat "grainy" and compared to my motif es not punchy at all - but these things are very subjective. The 24 Drum kits do not offer much variety - many of them sound a bit the same, because the snares and the kicks are not that much different. So, to my taste, the midjay is limited as an arranger and as well as a dj tool for the semi pro. Maybe it was never intended that way, but why call it "midjay" then.
I was thinking about getting the psr 3000 instead because for its much acclaimed user interface, loads of possibilities, polished sound and styles(drums unfortunately too polished and mafybe compressed) as I wanted to leave computers behind. Then again this little box is really cute and with 7 lb easy to carry around - fits in your shirts pocket if your big enough. I know this is very subjective, no offensed intended. I hoped for a jack of all trades but it is lacking in some departments so I am not sure to keep it for my purposes...

Anyone else?

greetings

Heinrich

#186724 - 04/05/06 12:02 AM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Heinrich Offline

sorry, I detected something wrong in my previous posting. The styles of the midjay cannot be edited beyond voice, volume, pan and efx send. The voice of Drumtrack 2 cannot be altered, which has to do with the grooves on this track. But to build your own style by putting together different tracks from different styles like it can be done on some other arrangers is not possible.

greeetings

Heinrich

#186725 - 04/05/06 06:11 AM Re: Question Midjay or PSR 3000
Dnj Offline

I just finished my latest CD project
17 songs...recorded all on the MIDJAY...
"Swingin With The Big Bands"

It's an awesome piece of gear!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online