SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186554 - 01/07/04 05:25 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Terry I don't want to sort keep going on and on I admire you as a person and as composer, but please remember that we are not all English speaking in this Forum and for us English is a second language and at times we don't find the PERFECT phrase to express what we need to say, but speaking about myself I say what I feel and not just to have said something,
QUOT
Take a step back and look at it...."too much reverb" helps. "I cannot believe you prefer your amateurish vocals mix more." Does not help.

If your response was, share with us why you prefer the original vocals to the remix, then we could have gone on to more of a learning exchange about the mix.

Terry you said that you consider the voice as an instrument, ok well and good but if it is a sax or guitar it had a certain ammount of clarity in your mix, even though as you said that was raw material which you will eventually work to get it better, but honestly now I can't seem to understand why you didn't say, well that is something I will work on to make it at least sound better (VOICE) it's no matter if you want it to sound part of the instruments or not, the fact is that it didn't sound good to everyones ears not least your wife.

The point in this case is not a matter of taste but a matter of Clarity, and I guess we all heard that it wasn't there in the first instance.

Honestly this is what's puzling me here and I really whish to know your vies on this "WHY YOU STILL INSIST THAT YOU LIKE YOUR VOICE IN THE FIRST MIX.

If I was rude to you in anyway my appologies I I never intend to insult nobody, only bieng honest and helpful, I envey people like you and surely whish I had your talent.

regards

Tony.

#186555 - 01/07/04 05:39 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Please don't feel attacked Terry and don't leave this great forum. Nobody has to 'win' here, you got an honest answer on your question.

English is one of my foreign languages and I was not aware of slamming you at all. (bad word choices ?) It would be great to know if you listened to the original MP3 you made availlable on the web and found out that it is not stereo.
You keep skipping this issue

jam on and stay here .... please ?

Roel

#186556 - 01/07/04 06:13 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

I accept and thank everyone for their views and feedback here about this cut and that Roel's is a far superior mix to mine.

Now that I have relistened to it with a more open mind you were all correct and I was wrong, accept my apologies.

Thanks for pointing this all out to me as it will only serve to make me a better musician and I will now work that much harder to learn what I am doing instead of groping in the dark as I have been.
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#186557 - 01/07/04 06:15 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
ziggy Offline

One small obsevation I just played the original version on Cool Edith Pro and I noticed that all through the demo I am getting CLIPINGS.

Terry did you get the clipping signal on yours?? cause that cuase distortion!!!!

It dosen't sound distorted mind you but it is above the cliping range.

#186558 - 01/07/04 07:12 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Ziggy
I do push to the upper limits with dynamics in the mix....I try to get it as hot as possible without distortion, so it may in fact go into clipping in some spots. I am always torn between dropping the entire tracks back to keep any clipping from occurring or trying to adjust the track back with compression for those spots where my playing dynamics may have gotten out of control.

I'm sure the best answer would be for me to gain better control over my dynamics when recording. I have to do a final remix mastering on the cut and will pay closer attention to your observation and cut it back.
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186559 - 01/07/04 09:02 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
we are not all English speaking in this Forum and for us English is a second language and at times we don't find the PERFECT phrase to express what we need to say

That's profound. Interestingly, the same is often true for those of us who are English speaking, especially in the written word.

#186560 - 01/07/04 09:28 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
ziggy Offline

Glen you are right even though I am fluent in English, at times I can't seem to find the right word or phrase to express what I really wanted to say.

Terry I am really happy for you to accepth the fact that your voice sounds better and cleaner on the edithed version, I wish I had people like you all, round me all day cause I could learn a lot, that's why this forum is looked by COMPANIES Representatives cause here discussion is very serious.

Good luck to you Terry on your new work.

Just a footnote.
I prefer to start from the bigining within the High level limit than to have to use compression afterwards.
I normally record to the highest but never cliping you can always use the NORMALIZE if it's a bit below the norm, that is my opinion.

Tony

#186561 - 01/07/04 10:30 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Tony,
I agree about never clipping in recording phase. There are many nice (DirectX) plugins that can optimize sound levels and prevent them from clipping. (Normalize, loudness maximizer, C4 multiband compressors etc.)
Going to the limits in dynamics can best be done by computers.
Roel

#186562 - 01/07/04 10:16 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
this is the sort of thing that can benefit many, including recording novices, such as myself. allow me to ask a novice question. It would seem to be simply the result of decreasing the vocal reverb and increasing the vocal volume (relative to the other tracks)? Gotta be more to it than that, right?

That's OK, didn't really wanna know anyway

#186563 - 01/08/04 03:23 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

That's about it, as simple as that, perhaps using a different type of reverb as well.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-08-2004).]

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online