SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186514 - 01/04/04 08:11 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Terry,

Depending on his ISP, you may have to zip the files before he can receive them.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186515 - 01/04/04 09:06 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Terry,
I got 5 files (check your inbox), so please send the next 5 files. (zipping does not compress MP3's)

Roel

#186516 - 01/04/04 09:50 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Terry

Some members seem to be interested in this thread, so here are my first Q's and remarks :

a. Did you use the 'export' option Terry ? I ask this because the tracks have different timestamps. I had to adjust/move all tracks to the right position, using the drum-track as pilot. In an export operation this is not normal.

b. All tracks are stereotracks (2-ch) but contain mono information. Even the drums are mono while there is some reverb in it. Your drum machine is a stereo one for sure, so how come the track is mono Terry ?

c. How did you record the e-guitar ? It has a high dosis of noise in it and some clips (distortion) as well. (again stereo-track but mono)

d. The accoustic guitar sounds like your distance to the microphone is too high. De C-1000 should be pointing at the 'hole' and the distance about 30 cm's. (max)
See http://www.schoondermark.com for detailed info under "geheime tips".
(A very nice studio-recording site....in Dutch)

Doing as stereo track with 2 microphones works fine so you can adjust the guitar-sound during the mix. I use two (mono) tracks for this purpose.

Is it ok with you, sending these comments through the forum Terry ?

Please send the next tracks.

#186517 - 01/04/04 06:27 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
Terry

Some members seem to be interested in this thread, so here are my first Q's and remarks :

a. Did you use the 'export' option Terry ? I ask this because the tracks have different timestamps. I had to adjust/move all tracks to the right position, using the drum-track as pilot. In an export operation this is not normal.

That's why I sent you the drums with the 4 beat count up front. To export is the only way to get it out of Sonar in something other than a Sonar format. Was also why I asked you originally if you had Sonar, so that I would not have to use the export.

b. All tracks are stereotracks (2-ch) but contain mono information. Even the drums are mono while there is some reverb in it. Your drum machine is a stereo one for sure, so how come the track is mono Terry ?

When I exported it to mp3 even though I said to export to stereo on seperate tracks, what you see is what I got. I recorded them into Sonar as seperate stero tracks as well.

c. How did you record the e-guitar ? It has a high dosis of noise in it and some clips (distortion) as well. (again stereo-track but mono)

The noise is from a Digitech GNX 3 Stomp box, nice piece of gear but real noisie. The signal being a bit too hot in spots surely is possible.

d. The accoustic guitar sounds like your distance to the microphone is too high. De C-1000 should be pointing at the 'hole' and the distance about 30 cm's. (max)
See http://www.schoondermark.com for detailed info under "geheime tips".
(A very nice studio-recording site....in Dutch)

I record all my acoustics using direct and mic. The direct runs through a Yamaha AG Acoustic stomp box that is a mic modeler, which can tend to add a bit too much air to the mic modeling. Though I think it sounds great, I'm sure a matter of preference. Of course I am aware of the placement of my condenser mic and proximety to the soundhole.

Doing as stereo track with 2 microphones works fine so you can adjust the guitar-sound during the mix. I use two (mono) tracks for this purpose.

Is it ok with you, sending these comments through the forum Terry ?

It's all part of the learning experience for us all and was the purpose of you doing a remix.

Please send the next tracks.

Done I have sent them to you.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#186518 - 01/04/04 10:25 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

It's 07:00h in the morning now and I have to go to work right away.
I got the last tracks and did a quick listen to your vocal track...... VERY GOOD Terry.
Your voice sounds beautiful.
I hope to be able to do some remix/adjust work tonight.

Roel

#186519 - 01/05/04 02:39 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Roel
I sent you the last track the acoustic lead this a.m.

"quick listen to your vocal track...... VERY GOOD Terry"
Thanks, so there is some redeeming quality after all then.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-05-2004).]

#186520 - 01/05/04 12:35 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Terry,

I sent you a file and some comments, including detailed information about the way I created the mixdown.
I hope you like it ?

Roel

#186521 - 01/05/04 01:03 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

The attached file bounced back so it can be found at :
http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Turf/index-2.html

filename "Terrychanged"

Terry please let me know when ready, so I can remove it.

Roel

#186522 - 01/05/04 01:29 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Roel: I'm simply 'blown away' by whatever you did to improve the sound. kudos to your amazing studio work to bring out Terry's song & voice, now impressively alive with realism & emotional impact. Terry, great song, terrific vocals & guitar playing. This is a perfect example of how crucial studio engineering is to acheiving the best possible result. Roel, I'm anxious to hear exactly all the things you did to improve the sound so 'dramatically'. - Scott

#186523 - 01/05/04 01:49 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Excellent! I'm sending all my songs to Roel.
Terry, you should do some Willie Nelson!
DonM

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online