Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186544 - 01/06/04 07:55 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
I'm a bit confused too Terry.

I hoped to be able to figure out what is wrong in your setup/recording methods and left some questions.
It looks like you prefer to close this thread ? (leaving Q's un-answered)
I hope I did not hurt you in my comments.... if yes I apologize.

Roel

Roel,
I'm not sure what to say. This is not my first recording. My equipment is plugged in and working properly. I record in stereo. all the tracks on the original wav are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Whether you agree or not something got lost in the translation from the Tascam to Sonar to the mp. How or what I am not sure as I mentioned prior, this is not how I usually record.

To put the mps, together for you I recorded each of the 16 tracks at 6 minutes each seperately into Sonar that was 1 hour and 36 minutes of recording, other than to export them as mp's I put as much time for this experiment as I wanted to allow for it.

Where it went wrong I believe it to have been in taking the stereo Sonar tracks and exporting them to seperate stero mp's.

there is nothing wrong with my Tascam, it is recording perfectly well, if you listen to some of the cuts from the previous cd on my site, it is recording fine in stereo.

Beyond that I do not know what else to say. If you have some other thoughts or suggestions, I would be more than happy to talk about it further. If you have a particular way you would like me to try recording the drums into Sonar and send you another mp. I would be more than happy to do that as well.
thanks,
Terry
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#186545 - 01/06/04 07:56 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Dnj Offline

Ok Terry,..

I respect your opinions, after all you are the creator of this project and are certainly entitled to voice your views.
We can only go by what we hear here on the SZ, you as an artist very well may have different objectives when you record your tunes and rightfully so.
Thanks for sharing your work with us and as always ....Jam On

#186546 - 01/06/04 09:06 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Terry, if you're happy, I'm happy. Keep on recording! I'm envious of your recording gear. To tell the truth I did't really listen as to how the instruments were re-mixed--I only paid attention to the vocals, and I was able to understand the words without straining on Joel's remix. Your vocals sounded clear and authentic.
DonM

#186547 - 01/07/04 01:27 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Terry,

One last remark : Your original recording (mix) was mono as well and has no 'relation' to the re-recorded MP3 tracks......
Let's make music now !

Roel (pronounced as Rule...or Ralph) ;-)

#186548 - 01/07/04 02:20 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Sorry Terry but your turn things your way and that is not good , I said AMATURISH only to express the way YOUR VOICE SOUNDED on the mix and not the mix itself, from the start I was talking about the VIOCE and not the backing. I was and still is certain that all people who hear your mix will agree with me. Now to say that you still say you like your voice the way it was , I don't know what to say.

But please don't take it as an insult, I don't intend to insult no one, and I know that at time we might think that people don't understand us but I am bieng honest and still say that your voice sounded very bad on your mix.

I feel that next time I'd better just read the imput and stay out because it's not fair to use what I said as an insult "I IS NOT"

Good luck on your work.

#186549 - 01/07/04 03:14 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Guys, I really do appreciate and value all your opinions as long as they remain constructive and is why I posted the tunes and have continued to do so amidst the controversy....I do not want to wind up the bad guy here again like I did over someone saying my work was a total waste of bandwidth...I still can't figure out how I wound up on the wrong end of that rude insult.

I really have no problem with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I do have a problem when commenting on others work with insulting adjectives that are of zero value. Not only in regards to my work, but if you recall over beachbums work not too long ago as well. Those are not constructive criticisms to help a fellow artist out.

So in short the statement Terry cannot take constructive criticism is incorrect.

The statement Terry gets his underware all bunched up over ambiguious useless insults, then that is very true.

That is not why we have come here to share our music is it? I know very well that little of my work or the way I do it is going to be accepted here for what and where it is. I am a fish out of water here. 99% of what you guys are into is something other than what I do.

I fully understand why Roel's mix is more accepted here as the better mix. It is a more middle of the road what one would expect to hear on the radio mix. It focuses on the vocals which is what all of you do focus on your vocals. I do not. Being an artist that does alot of instrumentals, to me my vocals are just another instrument in the mix.

So to me it would be much like having a guitar or drums or whatever other instrument way too prominent and loud for the mix. I hope that makes sense to you all though I understand if it does not though.
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186550 - 01/07/04 03:29 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
Sorry Terry but your turn things your way and that is not good , I said AMATURISH only to express the way YOUR VOICE SOUNDED on the mix and not the mix itself, from the start I was talking about the VIOCE and not the backing. I was and still is certain that all people who hear your mix will agree with me. Now to say that you still say you like your voice the way it was , I don't know what to say.

But please don't take it as an insult, I don't intend to insult no one, and I know that at time we might think that people don't understand us but I am bieng honest and still say that your voice sounded very bad on your mix.

I feel that next time I'd better just read the imput and stay out because it's not fair to use what I said as an insult "I IS NOT"

Good luck on your work.

Ziggy,
I value your constructive input as much as everyone else's here. I am not trying to turn things my way. I was willing to accept all that was said and leave it at that and was then accused at not being able to take criticism about my work. It seems at times I can't win no matter what I say or do not say in regards to my own work.

I was trying to avoid these last posts when I said ok, let's leave it as a difference of opinion about which is the better mix. I wanted to avoid the well fine then, I just won't comment at all in the future.

For whatever reasons here what I feel happens is someone (not just me)posts a cut, there is alot of constructive help given and some ambiguious opinion insults added in by some just for good measure. Then when the artist defends against that the artist cannot take criticism.

Take a step back and look at it...."too much reverb" helps. "I cannot believe you prefer your amateurish vocals mix more." Does not help.

If your response was, share with us why you prefer the original vocals to the remix, then we could have gone on to more of a learning exchange about the mix.

For you to say, ok then, I just won't comment anymore, is a no win situation. If you are going to critisize then be willing to accept criticsm in return.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186551 - 01/07/04 03:40 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
Terry,

One last remark : Your original recording (mix) was mono as well and has no 'relation' to the re-recorded MP3 tracks......
Let's make music now !

Roel (pronounced as Rule...or Ralph) ;-)

Roel,
One of two things...either I do not know what a stereo field is or I do not know what it is you consider a stereo field.

Let's use the drums.....in my Tascam, I have 2 drum tracks as they came from my Tyros on this cut out of the L&R outputs. In the Tascam they were panned hard L&R and recorded.

When I listen to the playback of those tracks I hear some parts of the drums coming from the left some from the right and some from both.

From the rest of the mix, I have 6 string coming from L 12 from R lead from slight R
congas and bass mid right vocals slight L.

Am I missing something in what you are referring to as a stereo field, as what I understand one to be?
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186552 - 01/07/04 04:44 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

One more try :
As long as the left- and right channels are EXACTLY the same (like your mix has) the image will be a MONO one.

My ears tell me this and just to confirm my impression I used Steinberg Mastering Edition 'Phase Scope' to prove it.

I can tell you there is NO trace of phase-diffences between L&R, so believe me : Your mix is as mono as it can be !

This is not the first time I put some remarks on your recordings-images. You seem to be absolutely sure nothing is wrong with your equipment/methods while many forum members (including me) do not agree.

This thread was triggered because of your tunnel-sounding voice and I tried to show another/better(?) way to put vocals in a recording. During the thread you changed the subject to 'not liking the instrument mix because of ....'. Your reading-replies is pretty selective and jump easy over the key-issues

Your EQUIPMENT can produce high quality songs without any doubts ! .....

I think all members are pretty mild in comments and no one of us was rude to you. Many of us DO know how music should sound like.

Please accept the critics without putting yourself 'above' it because of many years- and recording- experience, nobody is perfect.

Now honest & short : You don't know what a stereo image is ! ...... your own words (listen at your original mp3 in this thread)

Can we close this book now ?

Roel

#186553 - 01/07/04 05:12 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Roel,
Woa....where is this coming from? I just can't win here. I try to end the discussion without argumentation and get slammed for that. I try to continue the discussion and get slammed for that now as well.....

My last post to you here was in hopes of trying to learn more about exactly what you are saying and you go off on me.

I was not trying to place myself above anyone here. I was explaining what and how I do what I do. What I hear coming from my recorder....period. There was no attitude or argumentation meant.

Now you're upset because I gave my feedback in regards to what I heard in your mix. Sorry...I explained what I heard in your mix and what I preferred in mine and also said yours was a great mix just not what I was trying to acheive. In response to those that were not willing to let it go as a differing opinion on the mixes.

I have no clue as to what to say, I accpeted all that was said and did not respond with any sort of angered or arrogant replies and wanted to leave it there when I felt we were going away from constructive feedback about the two mixes.

I'm done with posting music here. Talk about not being able to accept criticisms and feedback......have a look in the mirror fellas.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-07-2004).]

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online