SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186484 - 01/01/04 11:46 AM Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Following the advise given here, I've done a new tune without the harmony and very little effects, so I would be interested to hear some feedback if you wish about the vocals and the tune.

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/78792-2.%20Change.mp3

thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-01-2004).]

#186485 - 01/01/04 01:00 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like it a lot better! You can hear Terry now.
I still find myself straining to catch the lyrics a little. Only suggestion might be to try mixing the vocals a little more up front. But this may be totally personal preference.
DonM

#186486 - 01/01/04 01:25 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Dnj Offline

Terry,

I enjoyed the melody..but there is still something about the vocals that makes it NOT Crisp and Clear to my ear. It sounds muddled and has a tunnel effect to it putng it in the background like Don M stated in his post..
What EFX are you using if I may ask, chorus comes to mind?? I'd like to hear this tune done with lead vocals set at just a bit of reverb and a very short delay with nothing else on your voice. I'm only being honest here.

jam on

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-01-2004).]

#186487 - 01/01/04 03:24 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Vquestor Offline

Terry, nice demo.
My two cents. The percussion track
seems to be walking over your
vocals. I would try to replace the perc. track with a less busy track, and then analyze how the vocals(as they are now)sound
in that scenario.

#186488 - 01/01/04 04:11 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Don, Donny & Vquest,
Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated. I have just a little bit of TC Helicon reverb on the voice is all.

I'll have another listen to the drum track too. Thanks guys....
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186489 - 01/01/04 04:18 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Terry: I concur with the others in that I also prefer hearing your vocals w/o harmonies. Nice song, but concur with Don & Donny about bringing your vocals more up front (so the important lyrics can be heard & made out more clearly) as well as changing/reducing the amount of efx added to our vocals. If you do want to utilize your impressive vocal hamronizer, I recommend adding harmonies only to specific sound sections or just to accentuate specific words or phrases. Just my opinion of course.

btw: Curious which recorder you used to record this? Your new Tascam SX 1LE , PC Sonar, or? Also, what recording bit & frequency sampling rate did your use: 24 bit/96khz or? - Scott

#186490 - 01/01/04 04:27 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Hi Terry I have listend to some of your recordings and like the rest I have to tell you that you have a good voice, but it seems you are new to singing, I am saying this because we all at firtst don't like hearing our own voice , so we think in hiding it behind the music and giving it more reverb sounds better.

About your latest recording . You still have a lot of reverb in your voice and your voice is not in front, you have a very nice voice all you need is to set the right reverb and you will have better results.

My opinion as usual.

Tony.

#186491 - 01/01/04 04:42 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
Roel Offline

Terry,

It sounds pretty ok now, but Donny is right.... there are some things wrong :

a. The file is mono (was your PFL on ?)

b. It looks like you removed the 'direct' signal in the Voiceworks and only record the effect.

c. Some finetuning in levels is needed. Bongo's too loud and arranger too low level.

What microphone do you use and what is the distance to the mike while singing ?
What dry/eff ratio has your VW ?
Did you use a VW factory preset, if yes which one ?
Can you describe how your mike-signal routing is from mic to recorder. (Realize your mike is mono, but as soon as it processed by the TC-VoiceWorks you have to record in stereo)

I'm sure with the correct settings your recordings will sound direct, crispy, full stereo.... fantastic !

Roel

#186492 - 01/01/04 06:23 PM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
trtjazz Offline

Thanks all for the listen and feedback....

Scott, yes on the Tascam and 24 bit, but keep in mind when it goes back to wav., it reverts back to 16 bit and of course then compressed to mp3.

Tony......is 30+ years still new to singing?

Roel, Run thru the TC into stereo L&R inputs in the Tascam.

Not sure what you mean by arranger, other than the kick drum it was all played live realtime, including the congas (which I think are a bit loud as well for the mix).

I use an AKG C1000 condenser, probably 8 inches or so away.

I used #32 on the TC with no harmonies. The ratio for direct recording is there, with the effects cut back. I guess still too much reverb though. Not sure how you are getting it as a mono track, it's recording in stereo in the Tascam.

thanks all,
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-01-2004).]

#186493 - 01/02/04 01:18 AM Re: Vocal No harmony as suggested
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Thanks all for the listen and feedback....

Tony......is 30+ years still new to singing?

Wowww sorry I don't get the chance to read all the imput on this forum , but as I told you the voice is there, sorry it was no offence Terry.

But to me your voice recorded sounded like it was coming from a tunnel so you sure have to work out on revebs and voice balance to the mix.

If I may say I'm not in cd recording I am more of live entertainer, but if this helps I normaly set the mix by firstly testing with just a little bit of reverb, where I can set the hight, midrange, and base to the best of my ears, once I am setisfied with the output, only then I set the reverb till I get that Crisp reverb voice I want.

Good luck .

Tony

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online