SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#186221 - 11/15/03 01:32 PM Yamaha Problems
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
Got my Yamaha bubble buste in the last few weeks. A few months a go i reported that my PSR 2000 went south. The D&E buttons along with ending, break, fade in & out plus Jazz and swing and a few other problems arose. That keyboard is currently at the GC for repair. Yesterday after doing a nursing home gig, i stopped by Dano's City and tried out my Yamaha YSTMS50 speakers and lo and behold my Tyros acted up also. The basic same thing happened to it. The D&E buttons on the screen will not work. Anothe Yamaha keyboard in the shop. I'm leaning towards never buying anothe Yamaha product for the rest of my life. It's either shabby workmanship or Yamaha parts are not going to last very long. My keyboard( Tyros) is only about three to four months old, so it is still in warrenty, but if it is not going to be reliable, then what good is it?. When it works it is a great keyboard, but the question becomes" How long will it be reliable" . Really ticked, Bob

#186222 - 11/15/03 02:26 PM Re: Yamaha Problems
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Bob,

Sorry about your problems, and I feel your pain.

I've had my Tyros since January and I've done about 56 jobs with it this year. The only problem I had was the Direct Access key never worked. Two weeks at my local music shop, and she was good as new.

The only other thing that bugs me as far as workmanship is the LCD display rattles quite a bit with the speakers installed.

Other than that, she's a beaut!!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#186223 - 11/15/03 02:35 PM Re: Yamaha Problems
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Bob, since both the PSR 2000 and Tyros are exhibiting the same problem it leads me to think that the source of the problems are posssibly from an external source however ridiculous that may sound. Possibly faulty power leading to the Tyros and PSR 2000. Sometimes spikes occur in a power source, eg., 110 Volt source not only from the Power Company mishaps but also from things like lightening, and stormy weather, etc. Also if the Keyboards are exposed to high humidity or extremes in temperature that may also cause problems. If any liquid was spilled into the 'same' area of both Keyboards that could cause both Keyboards to have the same problem[s]. I'm sorry to hear your troubles but thankfully the Tyros is under warranty. But not the PSR 2000 I take it. You know, the PSR 2000 had a 2 year Manufacturers Warranty with it if you registered it with Yamaha.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 11-15-2003).]

#186224 - 11/15/03 03:11 PM Re: Yamaha Problems
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
I think i registered the 2000. I only had it for a year and a half. no liquid spills and the only time it's in the van is while traveling to and from a job. Could be the electric, but it happened at different places. who knows. Bob

#186225 - 11/15/03 03:23 PM Re: Yamaha Problems
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bob,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the 2K and Tyros. I've been using the 2000 for about 18 months, hundreds of jobs, and not a single problem. It has been exposed to the worst cigarette smoke on the planet, changes in temperature, high humidity and it still works just like brand new. However, there are certain precautions that I take to insure some problems never occur.

When I'm not playing, the board is always unplugged from the wall. Can't experience a voltage spike if the board isn't plugged in. When I am playing, at home or anyplace else, the board is always plugged into a high-quality, grounded, surge protector. I've been using Yamaha board since the introduction of the PSR-500 and never had a single failure in any of the 10 that I've owned.

Good luck on the repairs, and hopefully, they'll be back to you in a timely manner.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186226 - 11/15/03 03:39 PM Re: Yamaha Problems
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ditto to Gary's remarks. I've had PSR70, 6100, 510, 630, 740, 8000, 9000, 2000 and now 2100. I may have left out a couple. All were played a LOT, and in all sorts of conditions. The 2000 was used for more than two years, average 5 jobs a week.
It's now still performing out in California, with no faults as far as I know.
For that matter I've never had real problems with any keyboards except the Roland G800. The spring in the joystick broke shortly after I got in. And within a few months, a lot of the buttons were loose and hard to work, and the paint was worn off in several places. Maybe it was a lemon, but it put me off Roland.
Anyway, good luck with your repairs. I know others have had problems with the variation and fill-in buttons on the 2K.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online