SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#186170 - 03/03/04 06:57 PM Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Okay, you want Tenor Sax you get Tenor Sax. This is a song called Goodbye by the Spice Girls. Every sound is produced by the Tyros. The Tenor Sax is the Tyros' Sweet! Tenor Sax.

Enjoy Boo! And everyone else for that matter. The first link is a standard .mp3 encoded at a high rate. The second link is the same recording only in .mp3PRO format for those on a dial-up connection.

Goodbye

Goodbye mp3PRO Version

I think the Sweet! Tenor Sax on the Tyros is outstanding but I'm sure there's some naysayers out there who think otherwise.

Oh well, to each his own. But for those with discriminating ears, I can not fathom why you would think the Tyros Sweet! Tenor Sax is sub-par or even mediocre. Those that dis it cannot seem to provide anything better on their own Keyboard. Although the TALK is there I don't see the WALK to go along with it. What is that term; oh yes -"put up or shut up?!?!".

Best regards,
Mike

#186171 - 03/04/04 01:34 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Mike,

Nice job on the song. The Tyros sounds great however the tenor sax sounds only ok and sort of fake sounding. I bought and returned the psr9000, 2000, and the 2100. One of the main reasons I returned them was because the brass and woodwind voices were not up to the quailty of the comparable voices on my Ketron X-1. The Yamaha does some things and some sounds better than mine but woodwinds and saxes were not one of those things. It may be possible that the sax is improved on the Tyros over the other Yamahas that I tried but your MP3 to my old ears didn't sound that way.

I've played in a 16 piece big band for 30 years and I know a sax when I hear one. Our lead sax player played sax and clarinet in THE Navy band during WWII. A stroke at age 78 retired him from playing with us a couple of years ago. His name was Ray Stralko and he was outstanding. Boo has probably played a sax for more years than you are old. Who are you to tell him what a real sax sounds like.

None of us have to put up or shut up. If you haven't heard the Ketrons and the Gems and the Rolands and the Korgs and ALL the rest you are just running off at the mouth.

Most of us on the forum have stopped this "my board is better than your board" nonsense. Remember that in the end most all of the sounds are imitations of the real thing. Your tenor sax and my tenor sax are still instant coffee.

On a positive note keep up the good work on the playing. I have never heard that Spice Girl tune before but it was nicely done.

Regards,

Tom

Tom

#186172 - 03/04/04 03:41 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Mike, assuming that this is a commercially produced standard midi file in which you simply re-voiced the sounds to utilize the Tyros' panel voices, I think this might be an unfair evaluation of the Tyros' 'Sweet Tenor' voice.

Mike, did you record the Tenor Sax melody track yourself, and on the Tyros? If not, then the playing technique required to bring out the type of Tenor Sax sample included in the Tyros was not used. The Tyros' Sweet Tenor Sax incorporates vibrato 'built into the sample itself', which requires a different type of playing than the voices in most standard midi files do. Even so . . .

I still have to agree with Tom that the sax sounds just ok sounding for a keyboard. As a devoted Tyros owner myself, and who has compared the Tyros & SD1 side by side, admit that the tenor sax sounds on the SD1 sound more realistic & lifelike.

Mike, I also suggest, if you are using commercial midi files to 'show off' the Tyros, it would only be fair to credit the company or individual who originally recorded (produced) the midi file.

Thanks for your work and efforts.

Scott

#186173 - 03/04/04 04:04 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
trtjazz Offline

Mike
For me it's not a question of one board to another, it's a comparison of any board to the real deal.

I suggest that you go have a listen to the likes of Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins or John Coltrane, to hear what a real tenor sax sounds like. You can listen to short clips of any of them on the cd's for sale sites.

Are you insecure about having bought your Tyros or something that you keep trying to prove how cool it is? Those of us that own them already know it, those that don't and prefer other boards, don't care and you'll never convince them that it's better than what they like.
You keep beating a dead horse here.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 03-04-2004).]

#186174 - 03/04/04 04:16 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
The Accordionist Offline

You know, I think Mike is probably a younger guy who shelled out some hard-earned cash and bought Tyros. He shows the unbridled enthusiasm that I did 15 years ago with my Ensoniq Mirage synthesizer. I think I sample myself coughing about 500 times and forced people to listen to my rendition of Jingle Bells played to coughing, ala Ferris Bueler.

I think Mike is just really proud of how his board sounds and is hearing new things from it every time he downloads another midifile and plays it for the first time.

Some of his "authentic sounds" arguments are a little naive in my opinion, but he makes me really wish I could be as excited about a product. I'm 35 years old and am unbelievably jaded for this relatively young age.

If I do buy a Tyros I'll probably post the ten things I don't like about it on this forum. I think Mike would post the 900 things he does like.

I'd cut him some slack. His energy is really welcome on this forum in my opinion.

Tommy

#186175 - 03/04/04 06:14 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
trtjazz Offline

Tommy
I agree and really do not want to rain on Mike's parade. I love my Tyros and the sounds too. I also think though as someone said earlier.....uh I think we quit the P'n contest about my board is better than your board scenario.

So I think Mike's enthusiasm would be better served by posting great tunes he has done to show off the Tyros and others will judge for themselves.

As it stands and a dwindling lack of responses to the "oh yeah top this with what you got" says to me it is falling on deaf ears.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186176 - 03/04/04 06:52 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Tommy
I agree and really do not want to rain on Mike's parade. I love my Tyros and the sounds too. I also think though as someone said earlier.....uh I think we quit the P'n contest about my board is better than your board scenario.

So I think Mike's enthusiasm would be better served by posting great tunes he has done to show off the Tyros and others will judge for themselves.

As it stands and a dwindling lack of responses to the "oh yeah top this with what you got" says to me it is falling on deaf ears.
Terry

Agreed.

#186177 - 03/04/04 07:03 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Mike,

Try the following midi file out on your Tyros:

Tenor Madness

I'm serious now, give this file a try. The last time you asked for a midi showdown, I posted the midi file and a recording and I didn't hear boo from you (sorry Boo).

The song is Tenor Madness done by Sonny Rollins back in the 50's if I'm not mistaken (the song, not the midi).

If anybody is intested, here's a recording of this midi file on a 6-year old keyboard. Just the midi, I'm not playing anything (I wish I could play like that).

Tenor Madness WK8-style

What I would really like to hear is for Boo to record this one. Mute the sax track on the midi and play his sax live.

mike

#186178 - 03/04/04 08:01 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
trtjazz Offline

msutliff,
Sorry, this one loses to the Tyros. This tenor does not sound good at all to me. Sounds pretty cheesie.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#186179 - 03/04/04 08:06 PM Re: Sax Done Right - Again! Oh Yeah!!
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Terry,

Yeah, I know. It wasn't really meant to showcase my board, I just threw it in there for fun.

I'd love to hear it through the Tyros though. Or better yet, let's get Boo to provide a "live" sample.

mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online