SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#186093 - 03/30/05 06:12 AM Re: Making changes on the fly...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with most of what Mac says. And Sherrif, in this part of the U.S., Discotechs went away many years ago--THANK GOD! Yes, there are still a few locations where young people go to dance to wild music and flashing lights, but by and large, young people here do not dance at all. Their idea of a fun party is getting plastered on booze (and sometimes drugs), bitching about their jobs, eating fattening foods and driving home at a high rate of speed and fuel consumption in their gas-guzzlers.

I'll stick to performing for the older folks, those 55 and older. They love to party, have lots of fun, dance the night away, don't want the music to stop and keep the paychecks coming in on a regular basis. They like their songs back to back, no dead time, and as long as the music of playing they're happy and on the dance floor. And, none of my audiences would spend a red cent for a DJ, and most have never been to a Disco. I guess discos still survive in Europe, but I don't know why or how.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186094 - 03/30/05 11:00 AM Re: Making changes on the fly...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Going to discos or 'clubbing', which is the modern term, survives in Europe because it makes money. Why it doesn't in the U.S. (except in the 'hipper' areas of large cities) is anyone's guess. By the way, hordes of youngsters in Europe also consider a good time to consist of drinking their faces off - it's virtually a national problem in some countries.

I have an inkling that the demise in disco in the U.S. stems back to those times just post-disco in the late '70s when the whole disco movement was derided so heavily that it fell and has never fully recovered since.
For musicians, you'd think this wouldn't be a bad idea but in this neck of the woods the shift hasn't really swung back to live music. People have instead retreated into their basements with their 'home theatre' systems, sipping cappuccino; 'Cocooning' as the modern parlance goes. Add to this the rise of the so-called 'sports bars' with their 10-foot tv screens and free peanuts and you have, in a nutshell, if you'll pardon the pun, why too many people have never experienced the joy of spending an evening dancing the night away.

What a shame.

#186095 - 03/30/05 12:23 PM Re: Making changes on the fly...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Gary! There are some questions about your topic in my mind...
Do you have the ability in your arranger kb to joggle through your parameter libs without changing any settings?
And then pushing one button to set all choices at once?
Do you have (use) an on-board sequencer with several song banks (something like the Kurzweil's song editor) keeping their own MIDI-settings for each song?

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#186096 - 03/30/05 12:27 PM Re: Making changes on the fly...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:

1. I'm actually not playing dance music
2. I don't need to live from music until today
3. I strongly believe that music is an art - not a joke

...I forgot:
4. I'm a dreamer!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#186097 - 03/30/05 03:02 PM Re: Making changes on the fly...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Gary! There are some questions about your topic in my mind...
Do you have the ability in your arranger kb to joggle through your parameter libs without changing any settings?

Yes, I can scroll through my MFD or my registrations via the edit button and be ready to select the next song at the press of a button. One touch and that's it.

And then pushing one button to set all choices at once?
Do you have (use) an on-board sequencer with several song banks (something like the Kurzweil's song editor) keeping their own MIDI-settings for each song?

I utilize my laptop and VanBasco's Midi/Karaoke Player for midi files, which allows you to do lots of great things and save the information to each song. The laptop is connected to the PSR-3000 via a USB 2.0-A to USB 2.0-B connector and uses Yamaha's driver.

[/B]

Cheers,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 03-30-2005).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online