SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185949 - 10/17/03 05:18 AM Woof Woof !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Okie Dokie boys and girls, the jury is back !
I recently added the new Roland KCW-1 sub woofer to my JBL eon10G2 rig and that was the icing that this cake needed ! This baby performed flawlessly at two large affairs I did this week, and it's SOOooooo small!
( 17-1/4(w) x 17-3/8(d) x 18-1/8(h) )
weight is 50lbs 12 oz, but it's balanced well with a top handle and it lays close to your body in carriage. Not bad at all .... especially if you just need to carry it to your dolly, like I do.
It's 200Watts, has XLR AND 1/4" inputs.
It has XLR "pass through" jacks and it's stereo! What more could you ask for?

This unit seems to be marketed as an "add on" for the KC line of KB amps, as they provide a sub out, and the size matches up well with the smaller units, but I've had EV, JBL, Peavey and Dawn subs ... and this one is at the top of the pack in it's class.

It's a 10" speaker, but in a square box .... the output is FAT and FULL. I hardly need to crank it up either. The extra "ooomph" that it adds is just what the JBL's lack at higher levels, or when supported on sticks.
Remember, bass frequencies are non-directional so this puppy can be located ANYWHERE on stage and still perform well.

I'm so pleased with it.My new rig is the smallest and most flexible I've ever had, and for those times when I only need a small speaker .... one eon does great.
Larger job? 2 eons.
Need the bass to rattle tunnys? 2 eons and the sub. Simple. All in the truck, all the time. Simple set up and great sound.
I actually forget what I paid for it, but I traded my JBL eonG2sub and got other stuff in the deal, so it was significantly less than that. I sort of rememebr it was in the 300-400 range, but don't quote me.
I trade so many things....I forget the individual values. All I know is - I'm happy that I swapped the larger, odd shaped JBL for this tiny, cube like wonder !

Bring on the bass !
Pappa oom mow mow ...........

#185950 - 10/17/03 06:41 AM Re: Woof Woof !
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
UD,
Sounds like you're gonna' have lots of fun with this one. Also sounds like you may be packing a lighter load to the larger jobs--great! Love the sound of gut thumpin' bass--it sure keeps the dance floor filled.

Keep on truckin'

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#185951 - 10/17/03 07:46 AM Re: Woof Woof !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
That's funny... and I'm sure UD won't like the comparison (make that ANY comparison) but that Roland sub is similar in size and weight of a Motion Sound KP-200s (H 17" W 23" D (at center) 16.75" 55 Lbs), except the KP has two 10" speakers instead of one and can do the gig by itself. Also worth noting is the KP-200s is about the same weight as the two EON10 G2's combined. I too like the EON10 G2's and use them, but as soon as the gig gets beyond their capacity then I just take the KP-200s, which provides plenty of bass and power.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 10-17-2003).]

#185952 - 10/17/03 08:26 AM Re: Woof Woof !
Uncle Dave Offline

I take no offense to your comment Esh, but I will reply in kind. The benifit of having a dedicated sub is far greater than the addition of simply adding another full range cabinet ... of any size. For the widest coverage, at the optimum sound level ... you need to have speakers high in the air and spread apart. The motion sound will never be able to do that, so the alternative is to fly the Eons and sit the sub on the floor where bass is most effective. But you knew that.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 10-17-2003).]

#185953 - 10/17/03 08:37 AM Re: Woof Woof !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Another PLUS with the Motion Sound KP200S is that you don't need to lift them high up onto tripod stands. Motion Sound amps put out a LOT of sound relative to their size. I really LOVE my smaller KP100S (38 lb) especially after swapping the stock bass speakers out for the significantly improved & impressive sounding ones. Terrific for the smaller venues (up to 40-50 people), but am considering possibly purchasing the larger model KP200S (55 lbs)to handle larger rooms, as it sounds like (in the long run) it may be a lot easier to transport and quicker to setup than even my two EV SXA100's (43 lbs each) of which also require mounting up on 2 tripod stands as well. What do you guys think?

I realize the KP200S stereo amp is rated at 200 watts output, while each SXA100 speaker is rated at 350 watts HF and 80 watt LF output, with total SXA100 output equalling 700 watts HF and 160 watts LF. Motion Sound Amps put out a LOT of sound for their size, and SPREAD (disperse) the sound into the room (via expander feature) very well, but even considering this, it would appear that the EV SxA100s (on tripod stands) will handle a much larger room than the KP200S, but I wonder if this (in reality) is really true. Just how large a room (and number of people) will the KP200S comfortably handle?
Thanks, - Scott

#185954 - 10/17/03 09:54 AM Re: Woof Woof !
Dnj Offline

Scott.....don't do it!

#185955 - 10/17/03 10:16 AM Re: Woof Woof !
Scottyee Offline

Donny, please explain WHY.

I was thinking that a KP200S Motion Sound might be able to perform DOUBLE duty: used by itself for medium-large solo concert shows, and then in tandem (filling in as a sub woofer) with the EV SXA100's on tripod stands, for the LARGE wedding & dance type parties where wider coverage and bass boom is essential. No?

Scott

#185956 - 10/17/03 10:41 AM Re: Woof Woof !
Uncle Dave Offline

For real bass at levels that force the air into the room, no full range amp will compete with a dedicated sub. It stands to reason that one task at a time can be performed more efficiently, right? The advantages of pole mounted speakers are numerous, and absolutly essential in some cases. (Not all)
My Friday night room would never be covered by either Motion sound amp because of the layout of the room and the coverage needed.
This is why my core set up consists of the full range eons (mono or stereo, as needed) and the bass amp is in the bullpen waiting for the call to pitch. (Them Damn Yankees - gotta love what $$$$ can buy)

I am a great believer in flexibility and muti tasking, and this new rig has the best of all scenarios for my varied schedule.
I am even thinking of trying the woofer out with just the on board speakers to give me that smooooooth, fat bottom. (Easy Donny - still thinking of that nurse??? )

#185957 - 10/17/03 10:46 AM Re: Woof Woof !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I take no offense to your comment Esh, but I will reply in kind. The benifit of having a dedicated sub is far greater than the addition of simply adding another full range cabinet ... of any size. For the widest coverage, at the optimum sound level ... you need to have speakers high in the air and spread apart. The motion sound will never bve able to do that, so the alternative is to fly the Eons and sit the sub on the floor where bass is ost effective. You knew that.

I wouldn't use the KP-200s as an addition to the EON10 G2's but as a replacement. If the gig gets too big for my KP-200s (that's only happened outdoors so far) then I set my EON10 G2's in their sockets on my pair of EON subs for the front amplification and the KP-200s becomes my stage monitor at that point. I disagree with the old speakers-on-stands, face-blast approach to sound anyway and prefer a more ambient concept, which the KP-200s is the best example of. I have had people ask me where my speakers are because they don't think that all of the sound they hear is coming from that little amp behind me. If you haven't tried the KP-200s you'll likely never think it can do what it does.

As to Scott's question: I think you should stay with your EV's and use your own KP-100s as a stage monitor, similar to my setup. At a certain volume level then it becomes important to separate the volume levels for you and the audience. While the KP-200s can certainly produce enough sound to carry even fairly large gigs, it could produce damaging amounts of sound for someone who is too close to it.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 10-17-2003).]

#185958 - 10/17/03 12:13 PM Re: Woof Woof !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I have had people ask me where my speakers are because they don't think that all of the sound they hear is coming from that little amp behind me. If you haven't tried the KP-200s you'll likely never think it can do what it does.

DITTO. I concur with Jim that Motion Sound amps put out a LOT of impressive sound relative to their size.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
As to Scott's question: I think you should stay with your EV's and use your own KP-100s as a stage monitor, similar to my setup.

Yep, this is exactly 'one of the ways' I currently set things up for the LARGER venues. My current PA/speaker 'mix/match' collection consists of:

* 2 EV SxA100's
* 1 Motion Sound KP-100S stereo amp/speaker
* 1 Tyros MS01 (includes 2 satellites & subwoofer)

For the very smallest initimate living room type venues, I take the TRS-MS01's alone. For small to medium venues, I take the KP-100S alone. For medium-large venues, I utilize BOTH the KP-100S & MS01's, with the KP-100S placed in directly in front of me pointed out to the audience and the MS01's serving as my personal stage monitors. I reserve the EV SxA100's along with the KP-100S or TRS-MS01's (as personal monitors) for the large weddings & corporate parties.

I was thinking of utilizing a KP-200S placed directly 'in front' of me & pointing to audience, with Tyros MS01's acting as my sole stage monitors. Curious if the KP-200S offers the kind of sound & bottom end that the EV Sx100's (with 12" woofers each) provide. It certainly looks to be easier & quicker to transport only 'one' KP-200S only at 55 lbs vs both transporting & putting up on tripod stands the two EV SxA100's (43 lbs each). I suppose it's just me forever 'dreaming' & scheming to discover yet another easier way to transport & setup equipment. My favorite gig is just walking in and performing, with compliments to the Roadies. - Scott

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online