SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185592 - 03/08/06 02:36 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Trident,
suppose I could try something like Blu Tac (it's like the chewing gum for posters you mentioned haa haa).

I don't think the kn7 will make a great controller in as far as using the internal styles and using the buttons for variations fills etc . It sends out too many messages via midi. It used to totally lock up my friends Cubase sequencer with too many controller messages, total clog up. Unless some of the controllers etc can be filtered out, I have my doubts it would work.
I think maybe Bernie is looking to the future ie life without a kn7.
Reason I ended up selling mine was because if anything ever happened to it, I would have had no way of replacing it, so I didn't want to keep spending time creating styles etc, just in case one day it was gone & wouldn't be replaceable.
One good reason for using a software arranger like OMB, even if Jos doesn't create a version 9 of OMB , it is still totally useable as it is, plus there's always Live Styler & the dozens of software programs created by the psr users.

It will be interesting to see how I go with the sd1. I know I can turn certain control messages off, just depends whether it also transmits the required ones.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trident:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#185593 - 03/08/06 03:23 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
You are right, Rikki. Whereas I would like to incorporate the Receptor with the 7000, tommorrow I will see what it does as a master. I am already thinking about the new CME controller that is coming out.

I play three different ways; styles, playing and singing over midi, and in a non-arranger setting with a 20 pc band. I know the midifiles are going to be superior. I also know that I can forge together some awsome band and orchestral layers with the Receptor. Two out of three ain't bad until I can figure out the midi configuration or software apps for styles.

Thanks to all for the tips.
Bernie

#185594 - 03/08/06 04:31 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
one thing I was sorry that I never did before selling my KN7, was record backing track midifiles and Wav files ( rather than mp3's)
of some of my favourite tunes. Wav's would have left me with something to play along to.

Midifile would have left me with the option of revoicing them some time down the track with a new soundsource.

Wav file would have given me the original kn7 backing for the song, just in case revoicing the midifile didn't work out as well as I'd hoped ( sometimes drums can be a bother to revoice). I would have then had the option of converting them to an mp3 if required.

That CME controller sounds interesting.

Be fascinated to hear how you go with the receptor.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
You are right, Rikki. Whereas I would like to incorporate the Receptor with the 7000, tommorrow I will see what it does as a master. I am already thinking about the new CME controller that is coming out.

I play three different ways; styles, playing and singing over midi, and in a non-arranger setting with a 20 pc band. I know the midifiles are going to be superior. I also know that I can forge together some awsome band and orchestral layers with the Receptor. Two out of three ain't bad until I can figure out the midi configuration or software apps for styles.

Thanks to all for the tips.
Bernie

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#185595 - 03/10/06 06:50 AM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
So Bernie, any news?

#185596 - 03/10/06 07:17 AM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Trident

Well it's here, and am in awe of it's capabilities. It can handle 57 VST's, and play simultaneously on 16 channels, and has the capacity for 16,000 banks of registrations.

There is no question about the Receptor. I now have to learn to use a controller keyboard ,to setup zones for splits, etc.

The sounds out of the box through my Bose PAS are great, but, they are all synth textures. I have to register and hookup to my pc to get the $400 free VST's . Then, I can go for the good stuff for a 30 day trial.

I have to play for a funeral,so haven't had time to go into it much today.

#185597 - 04/10/06 12:55 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Fran,
I ended up getting a 18 key numeric keypad for omb. Haven't quite been game to stick it on to my Clavinova ( just in case I mark the veneer), but I have considered sticking it onto the sd1 if I start using it as a controller. Works really well. I was able to assign 14 of the 18 keys to functions ie intro's , fills etc saved trying to find a spot for the laptop on top of the piano.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]Yesterday I set up control keys to use OMB7[arranger software].
I

Rikki,
Can you elaborate on the numeric keypad. Is it wireless? Can you connect this with a keyboard connected as well?
Starkeeper

#185598 - 04/10/06 01:14 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
one thing I was sorry that I never did before selling my KN7, was record backing track midifiles and Wav files ( rather than mp3's)
of some of my favourite tunes. Wav's would have left me with something to play along to.

You know Rikki you can convert those MP3s back into WAV file format if that would help you. Quite a few apps will do that for you including even Winamp freeware.

#185599 - 04/10/06 03:30 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Nigel,
thank you , but too late,
I didn't think to record kn backing sequences in any format. Wav , mp3 or even midifile. I usually just play in arranger mode to entertain myself.

All the other keyboards I've had are replaceable, with newer versions, ( should I feel the need (haa haa)
didn't take into account the kn7 was the last of the line, and the odd recorded backing sequence would have been nice.

Only reason I mentioned Wav format, is , my understanding is that it's the highest quality of all the audio formats?

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
You know Rikki you can convert those MP3s back into WAV file format if that would help you. Quite a few apps will do that for you including even Winamp freeware.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#185600 - 04/10/06 04:06 PM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
it's usb.
below are some details from a while back.
I haven't used it since I fried my laptop, a few weeks back. I'm getting a new computer shortly.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/012758.html

Don't know if this link will work, but it's similar sort of thing to mine
http://tinyurl.com/mvwkj

The company I got mine from is no longer trading on ebay. There again for $15 , I'm not particulary worried.

You can probably get good quality ones from computer stores, but I didn't want to spend the money, just in case it didn't work.
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Rikki,
Can you elaborate on the numeric keypad. Is it wireless? Can you connect this with a keyboard connected as well?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-10-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#185601 - 04/11/06 08:13 AM Re: Questions For Softsynth Users
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Oh. It's a USB. Does Windows recognize it as a keypad as soon as you plug it in, or do you have to configure it somehow?
Starkeeper

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online