SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#185155 - 11/20/03 10:21 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
that is exactly the kind of question I asked about Tyros and 2100.

I understand that Tyros has lot more features than 2100, but the real comparison is with the QUALITY of sounds and styles.

Several points I like to add:

1) Tyros has more memory. However, this is not a guarantee of better sounds and styles; for the Tyros has more sounds and styles than 2100 (which is something good for 2100 does not have sufficient styles in my opinion). The question is what does Tyros do with the extra memory other than adding extra sounds and styles!

2) The comparison is between 2100 and Tyros. And not 2000 and Tyros. The assumption here is that 2100 is close enough to 2000 and therefore, the comparison matters. Well, it might have mattered if it is shown that the 2000 and Tyros are not much different in quality of sound. And with that I still have some reservations. However, it will not matter if the findings were that Tyros is significantly better than 2000.

3) The comparison must use the same monitoring system; the monitoring system must be of good quality that allows for the difference in sound quality to be heard and observed.

4) Although many users have asserted this to me several time and Altough I received some emails about this, I have yet to hear or read from direct representative of Yamaha that there are clear and "intended" differences in the quality of sounds for the identical sounsd and styles in Tyros and 2100. I am not saying there are or there are not difference. But the fact that Yamaha is clearly silent about this forces me to consider the alternative claims of other users such as Fran to be viable if not possible.

I personally have compared PSR740 (which I own) with PSR9000PRO and motif and I have found no significant difference in sound quality despite the utter insistence of other users.

Now comes, Motif ES, Tyros and 2100 and I am very curious about the differences between all of these. I have played with 2100 briefly and for the sake of the context of this post, I will keep my opinion out of it. I have yet to test Tyros or Motif ES. But now the fact that some are questioning the difference, returns me back to square one. Is there a real difference at all? or it is an implied marketing hype to lure people to pay three times the price of 2100?

With this I welcome your comments.

#185156 - 11/20/03 10:56 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:

I currently own a 2100 and am very pleased with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
I, too, have the 2100 which I like very much.

My advice to ALL is that if you're pleased with your current keyboard: Don't switch!
In other words: "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".

Arranger keyboard sounds, styles, and features will continually evolve & improve, so unless you're just overflushed with cash, stay with the keyboard you're playing as long as it continues to inspire you when playing it.

It's IMPORTANT to remember that simply purchasing the latest keyboard is NOT the SOLUTION to making you a better sounding player. There's absolutely NO SUBSITUTE to the actual practicing/playing required in order to really sound better. Instead of spending money on a new keyboard, a far better decision might be to invest in taking a few lessons from a competent keyboard instructor (preferably one versed in electronic keyboards & arrangers). In fact, a number of top pro performing musicians out there today, on occasion, employ pro 'music coaches' to help them take their music to the next level.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-20-2003).]

#185157 - 11/20/03 07:56 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
Shakil Offline

sk880user "PSR740 (which I own) with PSR9000PRO and motif and I have found no significant difference in sound quality despite the utter insistence of other users.
"

do this:
call up standard drums, monitor in stereo.

bring up Dance Kits on all three keyboards.

call up piano,

call up synth sounds...

If you can't tell a difference, hmmmmmmmmmmm...

PSR9000Pro will be closer to 740, but MOTIF does sound different.

#185158 - 11/20/03 09:08 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
WOW did my original post go around the block a few times or what!

(Scott, actually I did not make up my mind in just one day. I have been thinking about getting a Tyros for a year.)

I picked up the 2100 last summer because I was SO impressed with what it offers for the price. But after reading the glowing reports here and visiting the store to play the Ty one more time, I took the plunge...the price was good too - $2499 (twice, not three times the price of the 2100) Now I need to sell the 2100 and my VA7. You won't believe this, but guess what I'm playing my Tyros thru...
My KN7000! Sounds great, too. Now you know why I've been accused of having GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) Scott, you're right about another thing...keyboards are only tools. They are only as good as the player who plays them. I've got a long way to go to master these boards and make them sing...but the trip will be fun!

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#185159 - 11/20/03 11:32 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Shakil,

very good point. I did not compare 740 with motif. I only compared 740 with 9Kpro and then on a different day, I compared 9Kpro with motif. I know I opened a big can of worm.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online