SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#185145 - 11/18/03 08:30 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran,
It's all in what you like and what you are used to. I hated the heavy keys on the G800. But then I was never a piano player. I like the light, fast action. After 4 or 5 hours on the G800, my fingers would be cramping.
DonM

#185146 - 11/18/03 08:36 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Sorry Fran, I have to agree with Scott. I own the PSR 2000 and the Tyros. Side by side and I can tell you straight up that the Tyros is the better sounding of the two. It has a WAY better Key action too. But of course you are spoiled with the Roland Fran. That is fine. I am not saying the Tyros has a better Key feel than the G1000. What I am saying is the Tyros truly does outshine the PSR 2000. The Drums on the Tyros are a lot better. The overall sounds are better and like Scott said "richer, fuller sounding". You have to realize that even though the PSR 2100 has 32mb of Wav ROM, the Tyros still has 3x the Wav ROM of the PSR 2100 and 6x that of the PSR 2000.

Although I still think the PSR 2100's Wav ROM is 'compressed' whereas I believe the PSR 2000's Wav ROM is 'un' compressed. I'm not absolutely certain about that but that's my gut feeling. Any way, that extra 3x and 6x Wav ROM had to go somewhere and Yamaha put it to good use in my opinion. The Tyros has more sparkle imo and the Voices are definitely better. I've also played the PSR 2100 extensively and although there are more Sweet! Live! and Cool! voices on it than the PSR 2000 (and a few other added voices) it is basically the same machine. But I agree that the PSR 2100 is the best Keyboard "dollar for dollar" (for a mid-range Arranger).

PS: Fran, I think you might like the Korg Pa1x Pro. It is suppose to have the best Key action of any Arranger, including the G1000. As we all know many of the sounds are stupendous too. And they should be on the shelves before Christmas so you may want to hint to your wife that you're possibly looking for another Keyboard - (to supplement 'not replace' the G1000).

Best regards,
Mike

#185147 - 11/18/03 09:01 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Fran,
It's all in what you like and what you are used to. I hated the heavy keys on the G800. But then I was never a piano player. I like the light, fast action. After 4 or 5 hours on the G800, my fingers would be cramping.
DonM

Hi Don
I'm glad to hear you say this. I just got a Tyros, and to me, its key action is going to take some getting used to. I also prefer the real light keys on the PSR2000. I was never a piano player, either. And I do know what you mean about cramping up. Oh well, I will get used to it!

Tom G.

#185148 - 11/19/03 01:12 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My 2k only lights the variation 3 and 4 led's if the custom style contains such variations.

#185149 - 11/19/03 07:14 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Yea, key feel is a VERY subjective thing. As a gigging church organist and NOT a pianist, I too do NOT like piano weighted keys; in fact, I won't own a keyboard that has weighted keys so this leaves out the PA1X (although I suspect the PA1X keys are actually "semi-weighted" rather than fully 88 key piano weighted). It doesn't take my hands anywhere near 5 hours, they start to hurt after about 30 minutes and go downhill from there. I doubt I could make a full evening's gig on a piano weighted keyboard.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#185150 - 11/19/03 07:42 PM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Mike, my wife doesn't know what I own or what I borrow...I think I'll keep it that way....No hints from me..

#185151 - 11/20/03 05:16 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I learned to play on an organ that had a pretty light touch, so when I went to my Clavinet and the Yamaha CP 25 after that, it took some time to get used to the key feel. I prefer something in the middle, with stiffer action than the PSR series offers, but I do like weighted keys for playing piano / electric piano pieces.

I agree though, that piano action isn't very useful when I want to emulate an organ or a guitar, sax ..etc. The PSR action just isn't responsive enough for me and I tend to stumble a bit on fast solos with it. The Motif Es' is more like the Tyros action, and I'm ok with it.

I haven't done a true side by side with the 2100 vs the Tyros, coming through the same audio system, but I did do it before with the 9000 vs the 740. If I had closed my eyes, and one of you played the same piece on both of those boards, I doubt that I could have identified which one you were playing. They were that close.

AJ

#185152 - 11/20/03 07:46 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
DonM Offline

For a while I had a PSR8000, 9000 and 740 at the same time. Listening to recordings of live performances, you couldn't tell the difference except for the unique sounds that one or the other had.
Actually the 8000 seemed to have a "smoother" overall sound, probably because of e.q.
I found that the 2000 and 2100 sound better out of the box than the 9000. In other words less editing and "tweaking" required.
I still maintain that some of the Tyros sounds and particularly the drums are quite a bet better than all the Yamaha predecessors.
DonM

#185153 - 11/20/03 09:30 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
I, too, have the 2100 which I like very much. I'd like to know from those who said that the Tyros has a richer, fuller sound, etc.----was the comparison between the 2100's internal speakers vs. the add-on unit for the Tyros? Or, were both compared through the same (external) monitoring system?

Hi Larry:
My comparisons were made thru the same 'EXTERNAL' PA speaker monitoring system. - Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
Thanks to you all, for your responses. They were what I anticipated. I agree with you totally. The Tyros is an improvement over the 2100. I know, I went out and picked one up last night! NICE BOARD! Two things I noticed immediately...(1)The feel of the keyboard is MUCH better. (2) The quality of sound - of even the same voices that were on the 2100 - sound even more natural. Now I need to find a buyer for a 4 month old 2100.Tim

Tim, Wow, you sure didn't wait long (1 day?)between initiating this thread and running down to your local music store to grab yourself a Tyros did ya Welcome to the Tyros fan club. - Scott

#185154 - 11/20/03 10:13 AM Re: Difference btwn 2100 & Tyros
DonM Offline

I like a person who can make a decision and go do it! Good luck with the Tyros. You'll love it.
DonM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online