I spent Saturday and Sunday with friends in Oneonta, NY ... The son of one of the guys in our former band was getting married ... It was a very casual affair ...outdoors and indoors in an old barn on property owned by one of the groom's brothers ... They had a band that played a kind of funk/rock/blues ...all originals, no covers... great musicians, ... of course the vocalist/leader/songwriter could not be understood... but they laid down some really good grooves ...
Three of us from our band were there (keys, bass, and vocals), so we 'opened' up the show for about an hour ..... the other band's drummer sat in with us ... he was a 'real' musician and listened to what was going on, so after the first tune it was as if we had worked a lot of gigs together ... A number of the family members play and sing (all very well, I might add) including a 7 yr old who played drums and sang "House of the Rising Sun", so there was a wide variety of continuous music for hours ... we started at about 6:30PM and at midnight a blues trio that had been in the area for another gig came in and played ... my wife and I left at around 1:30AM, and the party was still going strong..... It was good to play with other 'live' musicians again .....
t.