SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#185028 - 06/06/05 11:14 AM PA1XPRO boot problem
Roel Offline

A good friend of mine (Willy) owns a Korg PA1Xpro and he has a 'tiny' problem :
The machine does power-up (harddisk starts) but no sign of a boot-sequence : All remains 'dead' (no display contents, no lights, no nothing)

It is late now, so he is not able to call his dealer. Has anyone had this problem and how can it be solved ? (e.g. factory reset.... if yes how?)

Roel

#185029 - 06/06/05 12:43 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roel, are you sure this is a "tiny" problem?

I would call it a disater, or a "BIG" problem..a "tiny" problem to me is when a small feature does not work right...a dead keyboard is not "TINY"..

It sounds like it could be a fuse inside the board..

#185030 - 06/06/05 12:45 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roel , BTW did he just install a newer operating system?

Maybe he should re install an operating system that worked before, if the answer is yes..

#185031 - 06/06/05 12:46 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
It sounds like it could be a fuse inside the board..

Perhaps a 'tiny' fuse?

Scott

#185032 - 06/06/05 01:11 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
Roel Offline

You are right Fran..... this is truly a disaster and I would never trust this Korg again. (imagine how you would feel just before a gig starts)

Willy just called me telling they were able to reboot after 10 minutes (!) of trying Power off/on :
It looks like they have a workaround by switching off the power again immediately after the backlight of the display starts, and then switch it on again....

No, he did not install a new OS just before this major faillure occurred.

A fuse never 'heals' and he got it to work. This could be a startup problem in the switching powersupply or the System/CPU-clock generator.

I guess the best advice is to let the dealer/distributor find out what is wrong

Roel

#185033 - 06/06/05 01:49 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Roel,
Tell him to take it back and get a Ketron.

DonM

#185034 - 06/06/05 02:18 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Get a Ketron? Please read my post in the Ketron forum, I have been having the exact same problem with my Ketron X1 for few months! http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum22/HTML/000702.html

It looks like an Italian virus that hits all boards made in Italy! (I know the Korg arranger line is made in Italy). Just kidding
Thank God I didn’t have to fix my X1, it’s working fine now without me doing anything.
My advice to your friend, Plug and Pray!

Maged

#185035 - 06/07/05 01:29 PM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
if the hard drive is able to be booted at all, then this indicates its a software glitch of some sort...but i suspect there's more to the problem (ie user error or "fiddling") that isn't being mentioned...hard drives can and do wear out/have problems/ get glitches...but from the scant information here, with lights working and power going to the 'board and the hard drive spinning up...i would humbly suggest its a software prob..perhaps if he re-installs an earlier op sys, and full resources, this might fix it? bear in mind the op system and resources should be the same version ie 1.5op sys +1.5resources 2.0op sys+2.0resources etc etc.

peace, out

#185036 - 06/08/05 01:26 AM Re: PA1XPRO boot problem
Roel Offline

Manic,
I the 'fail-situation' the HDD motor starts, but nothing more seems to happen.
As far as I know, the PA's OS is in flash-ROM so he does not need the HD-contents to boot.
A software-glitch ? ... I have doubts about this, because with the workaround it works.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online