SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#184606 - 03/02/00 12:37 PM Jammer Live Style Making
Clif Anderson Offline

Jammer Live has a hierarchical style format with a song style being the top level, and a riff at the bottom level. The riff corresponds to a midi sequence played by one instrument in one section of a style. Typically, an arranger keyboard has several sections (e.g., intro, main A, main B, ending, fills), and several instruments or tracks.

Manual conversion of a keyboard arranger style to a Jammer Live style could be pretty tedious. The hardware arranger style would have to be dissected by section and by track to yield a large number of riffs. The Jammer Live song style would be built riff by riff and then level by level.

We can hope for a conversion program. EMC Styleworks converts styles from one hardware arranger to work on other arrangers. Hopefully, that program will be extended to allow conversion to Jammer Live format.

Soundtrek has a moderate number of styles available for Jammer Pro products. Hopefully they will convert them for use with Jammer Live. I cannot imagine this would be hard for them to do.

Band in the Box styles would be attractive candidates for conversion. Like the Jammer styles and unlike hardware arranger styles (of which I am aware), BIAB styles can be probabilistic.

My first choice would be to have styles built from the ground up by individual members from all over the world. Les get some Asian, African, Cajun, you name it, styles at our disposal!

Clif

#184607 - 03/02/00 01:06 PM Re: Jammer Live Style Making
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Cliff, a part of the conversion can be done already by EMC, if you use the export function from style to midi file, you have all the miditracks separated and the layout of the style..I guess Jammer Live can import the file?? or not??? (I don't have it)

#184608 - 03/02/00 03:57 PM Re: Jammer Live Style Making
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks Freddy, I have not used EMC. If I picture what you are describing correctly, there is still work to be done. If you export a style to a single midi file, then that file includes riffs for each section and track. Let us say there are four sections, intro, main, ending, and fill, and let us say there are 6 tracks for each section. That makes 24 riffs. Each of these would have to be saved to a separate midi file. Then Jammer Live would import each of the 24 midi files as a separate riff. This is according to my current rudimentary understanding.

I might add that it might not be quite this bad. Often different style sections will share "riffs". For example, Main B might just add another instrument to Main B, or only the drum track will change. In that case, the number of riffs decreases correspondingly.

It sounds like what EMC yields is what I get when I rename a Yamaha file from .sty to .mid. So people who want to convert from Yamaha to Jammer Live do not need EMC.

Clif

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 03-02-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online