SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#184552 - 06/23/05 06:03 PM Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yesterday's job was at a location where I've been performing for nearly 5 years, a well established senior center in the Highlandtown section Baltimore. From the time I fired up the sysetem until I stopped nearly 3 hours later, there was always folks on the dancefloor, and the applause after each song came from everyone in the room.

At the end of the job, dozens of people came up and told me how much they enjoyed the music. Many said the songs sounded so clear and wonderful, and the volume level was just perfect.

The same comments were also heard last week from dozens of individuals at a 50th wedding anniversary party I played. The irony of this party was I was performing for about 100 people, of which I only knew 10 at the most. Many were retired, most were over age 70, and though the host said there wasn't a prayer of anyone dancing, a dozen couples were on the dance-floor most of the evening.

The Bose PAS is definitely a keeper, next week I'll harness the cables into a neat package and it will be my primary system. The Logitech Z-5500 will be my backup, and the Barbetta Sona 32-Cs will be sold.

Again, a special thanks to Uncle Dave and Eddie (Btweengigs) Shoemaker for their help.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#184553 - 06/23/05 06:20 PM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Gary, are you saying you got more compliments than usual? You think people knew something was better? Have you ever used z5500 with them?

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#184554 - 06/23/05 07:19 PM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
You think people knew something was better?

My PAS has been on gigs for the last two months and there was favorable (almost unanymous)comments from the git-go.

People DO notice the difference...not only in quality of sound but in dispersion throughout the room. So far, everyone in every room I have used them is in the "sweet spot". No more complaints about being too loud up front and not loud enough in the back.

The Bose PAS offers up to 99 presets on two channels. The presets are an EQ thing designed to enhance different types of instruments, mics and personal preferences. Experimentation is the only way to decide which preset you like best.

Unlike conventional systems there are no seperate controls for effects. You can use a mixer or processor if you feel the need...but I haven't found it to be necessary and, in fact, like the pure, unadulterated sound it puts out.

He hasn't mentioned it here on the forum, but Gary is the only guy I know with a complaint. In spite of his glowing assessment of the PAS he doesn't like having to lift the heaviest part of the system: the 35 lb power base. What a wimp.

I think he is really upset because he bought another van to carry around his gear. Now, with the PAS, he could pack it all into a VW bug.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 06-23-2005).]

#184555 - 06/23/05 08:38 PM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
travlin'easy Offline

Bill,

No complaints ever, reguardless of the system I used. Always get lots of complements from my audiences. However, with the Bose, the only thing I heard were complements and lots of them from everyone in the room. And, as Eddie said, everyone is sitting in the sweet spot because of the way the system covers the entire room equally. There has never been a system available that does this. Nothing even comes close. The Z-5500 is an excellent system, especially for the money, and that's why it will be my sole backup system. The Bose will be my primary sound system for all jobs--even for the larger assisted living and nursing home jobs.

Cheers,

Gary

#184556 - 06/24/05 08:14 AM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
Organizer Offline

Loc: Maplewood, NJ, USA
Just a quick...me too. I have been using the Bose PAS as the sole PA system in my cafe for the past year. Individuals and groups ranging from 1 to 6 vocalists have used the system and have only gotten raves from from both the musicians and the audience.

I do have one advantage over most of the rest of you in that I rarely have to move it, however when I did have to transport the system (for a couple of outside jobs) the set up and take down took minutes and the 35lb base never seem to be a problem. BTW we have limited the use of the PAS to either vocalists, CDs or acoustic/acoustic electric guitars, although we do have a single bass sub, the only bass that has gone through the system, so far has been a mic'ed stand up.

Art

#184557 - 06/25/05 06:22 AM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary,

You've peaked my interest in the Bose PAS system. Which one did you get? I'm going to run down to Guitar Center this morning and take a look at them. Right now I'm using a Yamaha 640 PA head and 2 JBL speakers. It does the job but Bose is lightyears ahead in the audio field. I've long been a fan of their home products. I enjoyed the songs on your sight very much.

Cheers,

Joe

------------------
Songman55

#184558 - 06/25/05 07:12 AM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
Dnj Offline

I have no interest in one PAS, I have auditioned it on stage in a live situaton ........bottom line its not Stereo unless you have TWO Units & Subs..
I need the sound seperation in my large music performances...two complete PAS units = $5000.00
and I would still need another smaller sound system for smaller gigs which gives me much more versatility.....although it sounds good & is inovative its not for everyones needs.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-25-2005).]

#184559 - 06/25/05 07:43 AM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
travlin'easy Offline

Joe,

I purchased the standard unit with a single subwoofer. It does a lot more than I would have anticipated, and yesterday's job was another great example. I performed at a large retirement center, one that has a high stage at the end of a 100-foot long by 40-foot wide hall with high ceilings. The stage is just over 3 feet above the floor and although the room has lousy accoustics, the Bose filled the room with music, all of which was at the same volume level. Everyone raved about the music, the dancefloor was active and I had several positive comments from indivduals who said everything sounded so clear and crisp. I've run MP3s through a single channel and the results were excellent, despite the fact that the stero was combined into a single channel.

For my purposes, I don't need a pair of them, and the single seems to work just fine when everything is properly tuned--and that's the key to success with any sound system.

Good Luck,

Gary

#184560 - 06/25/05 08:05 AM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
And besides that,unless you are sitting right in the "sweet spot",the stereo effect is lost anyway.

#184561 - 06/25/05 09:03 AM Re: Bose PAS--It's a keeper...
Dnj Offline

Too each his own regarding your sound systems.......but with one speaker you might as well chuck the Panning effects out the window....I just dont buy the MONO vs STEREO thing....without seperation my ears & audiences tell me what sounds right, its something I wont compromise. But I wish everyone good luck with whatver you choose......just try it, and play it live before you buy it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online