SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#183944 - 01/11/02 01:53 PM on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm curious to hear from arranger KB foot controler pedal enthusiasts. What brand/model do you use and 'how' do you keep them secure to the floor to keep them from sliding around?

I currently use a Yamaha MFC10 mutli pedal unit as well as two individual foot controlers (Roland sustain pedal & a Roland foot switch). The MFC10 is fairly large/heavy so doesn't slide around too easily but the Roland pedals easily slide out from under me which can be a very big problem especially during a show. On my Technics KN5000, I had devised a custom made plywood pedal holder device which kept all the pedals (including a special 9 pin din plug Technics specific pedal) secure in ONE place, no matter how wild I got with my foot pedal work. With my Yamaha PSR2000 system, for smaller gigs, I only take the two smaller Roland pedals and tape them to the floor (unfortunately tape is only minimumly effective and I sometimes end up taking home part of the stage). For larger gigs, I'll take the MFC10 for more professional results (triggering fills etc via foot controller). I hope to design/buld a new plywood device to secure my Yamaha pedal system soon but wanted to get input from others of you here to find out how you tackle this age old problem. Btw, on some gigs I stand (preferable) and other gigs I play seated, but I always want the foot pedals to be in the exact same location so I can play footsy by touch.
- Scott

#183945 - 01/11/02 02:01 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott...
Velcro... musicians best friend. I carry a small piece of carpet that I pre-tested to be sure the hook side of velcro would adhere to. Put the hook side on the bottom of the pedal and pedal on the carpet and it stays in position all night. The carpet is not very big...just big enough for legs of my X-Stand to fit on it. Works for me.

#183946 - 01/11/02 02:27 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Scottyee Offline

Bsharp: MANY thanks for the great advice! Boy this is my lucky day. Two great tips in one day. First Uncle Dave's suggestion of switching the foot pedal assignments around and now your velco idea. Boy, it all seems SO SIMPLE now. I guess we sometimes can't see the forest for the trees, or was that head in the clouds? !. Thanks again. - Scott

#183947 - 01/11/02 06:49 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Scott: I made a beautifu pedal board which will hold all foot attachments securely. I used 1/2 inch plywood, and cut the ends so they lock into my Unltimate K/B stand. (between the folding legs of course) I placed the Expression pedal, and the Footswhich Pedal on the Ply. Board in the exact position I desired, and traced around them. Then using a Saber Saw, cut completely thru the Ply. Wood, following the trace marks. Turn unit bottom up and cover the openings with thin sheet alluminun available at any hardware. use "duct tape" completely around the edges of the metal, to secure to the board. Paint the board a glossy latex black. When you place the pedals to the board they will fit exactly into the openings, and if you have cut them accurately, they will stay on the board by good friction lock, and you can carry them around on the board with no fear they will "pop off." I finished the unit by cutting 1/8 deep grooves (with my router) for the pedal cords to set down flush with the top of the board, which run to the back of the board, and used fancy brads to secure them tightly in place. Results: I never have to touch the pedals or their cords, and when I am ready to "gig" I just fold up my stand, put the pedal board under my other arm and take off. Because this board is
locked between the legs of my K/B Stand, it
further secures the stand, and allowes you to perform all appropreate wild pedal girations to you hearts desire, knowing all is well in "Pedal Land." Have a great time at the Show next week. Arthur R. Jacobs
P.S. This foot stand accomidates any flooring such as carpet, tile, cement, etc.

#183948 - 01/11/02 09:11 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Beakybird Offline

Are there any choices out there besides the MFC10? The MFC10 is too big, bulky, and expensive for me.

Larry

#183949 - 01/13/02 07:47 AM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Scottyee Offline

Arthur: Your custom wooden pedal holder sounds impressive. I may want to explore this option myself. Could you by any chance send me a couple of pictures of it (both a closeup of it by itself as well as a view of it connected to your KB stand with pedals in place)?

In the meantime, I took a combination of BSharp & Arthur's approach by using a 1/4" piece of lightweight birch veneer plywood (30" x 15") which sits securely under my Quicklok Monolith stand http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=33262

This easily holds the large MFC10 Foot Controler unit and two single foot pedals as well.

I discovered (at my local pro music store) some SUPER strength snap together strips which even surpass the strength & durablility of even the strongest industrial grade velco strips. They are manufactered by the folks at Littlite. http://www.littlite.com/littProfile.html#applications. They're called 'SM Snap Mounts'and are also used to hold their gooseneck style mini halogen lamps which are popular on stage for lighting up your keyboard or other stage gear (mixers, etc). http://www.littlite.com/access.html Both pad strips are similar to the 'hook' side of the traditional velcro style strips. These hooks literally 'snap' (click and lock) into each other, making it nearly impossible to come apart. - Scott

Larry (Beakybird): I agree that the MFC10 is rather bulky (and expensive). In fact, I only use it in my studio or for the larger higher paying gigs (weddings, corporate events, etc). I must admit that being able to trigger arranger functions (fills, etc) via a foot controler ensures a polished smoother performance though. Until Yamaha decides to implement multi-pedal foot controler support directly via a din plug as Roland (FC7 foot controler), Technics (Technote brand ), and Solton (numerous multi foot pedal models) currently support, the only way to add remote multi pedal foot controler support on the Yamaha is via a 'midi' foot controler type unit and these tend to be expensive and heavier because it requires more parts to support midi programming.

Larry, I just discovered a midi multi-foot pedal unit option which is much cheaper and less bulky than the Yamaha MFC10 which you might want to consider. It's not as programable or has as many features as the MFC10 but it's certainly worth checking out. Make sure to find out if it supports triggering section control: Intros, Endings, Main 1,2,3,4, and fill ins 1,2,3,4. The Digitech Control 8 goes for $120 US dollars) which is $150 cheaper than the MFC10. http://zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.DGTCONT8&z=1273013778394

I have purchased several items from Zzounds.com and have found them to be a reputable & reliable company providing me great service at great prices. - Scott

#183950 - 01/13/02 12:16 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I use solton pedals for arranger side of x1v to use while playing guitar.
I used plywood and it includes a sustain pedal for seperate piano and a volume pedal for right hand swell of x1.
I mounted a set of 13 switches ie solton drum footswitches on top of the arranger pedals(we call em cow tits).
I use a little iron frame to keep the top set from falling of or moving .I carry it all incl five gang sockets and relevant wires using a slot cut out of ply at the EFG notes ie ply extends about two inches outside cowtits at my feet side.
Reason for drum footswitches on top is that otherwise I would have to swing my foot/feet outwards like a loin dancer to hit drum switches. Most times I cannot see the drum switches, but I can manage. I made a stainless steel stand to fit outside the ply base. It really suits me -- but I once had Arranger and piano and amps and pedals mounted on a rig with two swivel and two non swivel 6 inch pumped wheels and it was a real treat as it was all wired up and ready to go. It used to need four people to lift it upstairs as piano is of weighted keys type and I got independent minded and I ripped it up and now I carry each piece in one by one and I really may go back to some form of rig again sometime. It was inch angle frame and the unladen weight was ok. I doubt if you will need diagrams and if you did I dont know how to do em. Also I only rarely get connected to internet -- busy and problems with length of isdn line. Best wishes to all.And if you so need more info I will get it somehow.PIERCE

#183951 - 01/13/02 12:19 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I forgot to mention that the instrument stand had to have legs perpendicular to floor as folding type stand was too near ground at each side and pedals would not fit.Pierce

#183952 - 01/13/02 01:01 PM Re: on the subject of: Foot Controler Pedals !?
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Gentlemen:
I've been doing some experimentation on the PSR20000 with the Roland FC-1000mksII which is a MIDI foot controller which allows for program changes and control changes when used with the Roland RMC-1 RRC to MIDI converter. I have only had marginal success however since, when doing patch changes I have not been able to change the patch banks I want since it always defaults to the XG sound bank instead of the USER bank which is what I really want. However the PSR2000 responds to patch changes and can be prgrammed to do control changes like sustain and volume among other controls when used with the single dedicated sustain and volume pedals. If any one outhere can offer some information on how to call up the User sound bank, this would alow me to call up any sound I want while playing. By the way I've used this set up with the X1 and works like a charm. AJ do you have any idea how to do the same with th PSR2000?
Mario

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online