SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183724 - 06/24/05 04:47 PM Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I was at the music store yesterday and the owner whom I've known now for over 20 years says to me “I've got you a gig for $200 if you want it.” Well I told him that if he could get me more gigs I let him keep the money for the purchase of a new keyboard. I still like my Korg i30, but I’m afraid it might quit on me one day. Maybe I‘m worried about nothing. Anyway this is an opportunity to get a back-up.

He's a heavy long time Yamaha dealer. However, he does Korg and Ketron also. He can get anything I want. He said $1499 for the PSR 3000 was OK with him. He tries to match the Internet price for professional musicians for the most part.

I saw the PA80 today at one of the Internet stores for $1799 and for $2150 or so at a couple of other stores. I remember that I liked the styles of the Korg arranger a bit better than the Yamahas, but before I make a commitment on anything with him, I thought there’d be more input about these boards now that they’ve been around for a while.

Is anyone familiar with the sequencing on both of these boards? I think I remember on the older PSR700 and the PSR1000 Yamahas that the sequencer left much to be desired after sequencing on the i30.

I like the 3000 better than those earlier model Yamahas. I think the styles are a bit better than the older models for my taste.

I’ll read and consider every thing ya’ll have to say on this subject. Tell me what ya’ll know. If you don’t post, by all means email me at brickboo2@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the input,
Boo

#183725 - 06/24/05 05:19 PM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
Boo,
You'v got mail.
Smokey

#183726 - 06/24/05 05:50 PM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

Play em' both, use quality headphones, then you decide. For me, the PSR-3000 wins hands down. But for some the Korg may be the board of choice. Ultimately, you'll have to make the decission.

As for the sequencer, it's a piece of cake, but I ain't flyin' to Colorado to provide private lessons!

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#183727 - 06/24/05 07:02 PM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:
I own the PSR 3000 and the Korg PA 60, I love both of this boards, they compliment each other very well.
As far goes witch is better, is up to you, and the styles that you may use often, I use both in my performances...so that way, I have not problem, only to carry them.
I play in "Tea dances" and I play a lot of foxtrot, but I don NOT use the SAME style over and over.....I have a lot of them, most are for the PA60...aldo the 3000 has plenty to, I use more styles that SMF, so secuencers are not a big thing for me, both units have, the PA 2..... Buy what you feel is right for you.

------------------
mdorantes

#183728 - 06/25/05 08:15 AM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
brickboo Offline

To clear things up. I use maybe 10 midi files for vocals. I want the sequencer to have back-up for playing my Sax. My i30 will convert them to midi but I don't do that. If I leave them in the BSQ mode I can us alternate ending, fills so on and so forth on the fly and I also can change the style variations on the fly quickly while still playing the sax.

I assume this is not possible with the PSR 3000? Maybe it's not possible with the PA 80 also? I hope someone can answer this. If not I’ll have to get my hands on a manual.

One important thing is I'd like to know if the PSR will copy and paste measures so as to sequence a chorus of a tune and then copy it for a couple of more choruses with out having to record all three or four choruses. On some tunes while playing the Sax especially on up tempo tunes it nothing to have to do 4, 5 or more choruses. Thus the copy paste feature is a must for me.
thanks again,
Boo

#183729 - 06/25/05 08:25 AM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo,
You should consider a Ketron Midjay. It is light, sounds wonderful and will play midi files, MP3s, WAV files plus styles. You can use your current keyboard as a controller if you want, or purchase an inexpensive dedicated controller keyboard. If you just play the sax, all you will need is the Midjay.
There will be a learning curve, but that will be the case with any new board. Call Hank and talk to him about it.
DonM

#183730 - 06/25/05 01:18 PM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Boo, the Roland chord sequencer is perfect for guys like you..You can lay down your chord changes in real time, then at the end of your chord progressions, push a button and the progression repeats over and over untill you want to close out the song..fills ,variations , breaks,and even changing of the style will not disturb the chord progression..
You can save all the chord progressions[Chord sequences] to disk for quick recalls, if you do not want to record the Chord sequence in real time..

#183731 - 06/25/05 01:22 PM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I first seen this feature of putting down a track and then on the second verse, free up hands to play another instrument, in the mid 80's..
We had a friend that used a Casio 6000/7000 to lay down the track in real time , than a repeat button allowed him the freedom to play trombone over top of the track..

#183732 - 06/26/05 08:02 AM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
brickboo Offline

Fran,

This guy doesn't do Roland. He had disagreement with them years. the only Roland I saw there was an EM2000 that he had taken in on trade.

There's another store or two in town but one is just about guitars and PA's the other may have Roland. I'll check it out.

Don,
I have no idea what a Ketron Midjay is. I'll search the net to see what I can learn about it.
Boo

#183733 - 06/26/05 08:18 AM Re: Why buy a PSR3000 instead of a KorgPA80
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Don,
I have no idea what a Ketron Midjay is. I'll search the net to see what I can learn about it.
Boo

http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online