SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18353 - 03/19/02 04:56 PM Korg Dinasours
BassZn Offline

Loc: UK
Reading the Sound on Sound forum (check that out)and personal experience of myself and countless others on the UK scene...Korg have apparently taken the decision to dismiss new PC music techology.

On the one side, they are stating that they are not currently involved or knowledgable in Windows XP, so if you have been happily using their PC to Host connection for the past several years, then tough..it won't work anymore..unless you rewire you Pc to host cable or (their advice) downgrade back to Win98.

And on the other side - they state that the serial port will be extinct soon anyway..so bollocks to the lot of you anyway!!

So, are they offering an upgrade, e.g. maybe a PC to USB with a XP driver?? No - Don't go into the Bill Gates next monopoly OS forward, aka XP, but stay in the Win98 comfortable dark age.

Thanks Korg. A lot of people have used, loved and supported your stuff since the beginning but, XP comes along, and we're suddenly awash with no support. If you don't believe it, call KORG UK for their technical advice (only open Mon, Wed & Friday).

With XP, Bill Gates has a lot to answer for(check out those website arguments..do any of your games work on XP?) but is Mr Korg listening to us..your Korg techno guys aren't!!

I just thought that buying the new wizz PC from PC world (preloaded, as they all are, only with XP)would be a step forward..but even their (only) advice is to go back to Win 98.."over on that shelf £130". Thanks you guys!!

We wanna plug and play..is the technology that we love and trust now about to strangle us???

I've used and loved Korg for 20 years..but nothing lasts forever...Are Korg gonna be history or will Mr Korg ge of his butt and scan what's going on here??

#18354 - 03/19/02 08:41 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
doesn't xp have an option built into it to run pretending to be 98. im sure i remembered seeing a whole menu of options were xp kind of disguises itself as past windows versions.

and i know for sure xp allows you to actually have more than 1 win os on the computer and gives you a choice of what os to boot to at the start up.

of course you could just use standard midi cables like the rest of us mear mortals

#18355 - 03/20/02 02:23 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
BassZn Offline

Thanks DJ...interesting news to me that one, definately look into it.

The main reason the PC to Host connection is used instead of midi is that it allows the use of the sound editor program that gives you infinate noo patches but, to be honest, I don't use it that much so the midi thing is an option being considered. All about time and cash at the moment...nothing new there then.

Cheers mate.

#18356 - 03/21/02 06:23 AM Re: Korg Dinasours
WS Offline

Actually, it is not just KORG. It is just about everyone that needs XP drivers. Your KORG will work with XP, you just need to get a midi interface that will. So, XP will run programs from previous OSs (right click program's icon>Properties>Compatibility). This fix does not apply to drivers though. You should fdisk and make a dual boot...one for XP and one for Windows 98se. You are going to be very limited if you look for hardware with XP drivers.

#18357 - 03/21/02 02:51 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
xavier Offline

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Hello,

THER ARE DRIVERS FOR XP: you'll need the new Windows NT/2000/XP drivers available at korg UK: http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/drivedit/pcifnt.zip

------------------
Regards,
Xavier

Alchemist - the Korg Trinity to Triton PCG and SNG converter - http://alchemist.sourceforge.net

Alchemist - the Korg Trinity to Triton PCG and SNG converter - http://alchemist.sourceforge.net

#18358 - 03/21/02 02:52 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
xavier Offline

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
BTW: when you look for XP drivers, don't forget it is based on Windows NT technology (NT4/Win2000/XP), and no more on Windows 9x/Me...

#18359 - 03/23/02 05:59 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
BassZn Offline

the Xp compatability utility is a great idea - 'cept hardly anything actually works anyway with it.

The XP Korg driver may well work but XP doesn't recognize the PC to Host cable and the screen just freezes when connected. I understand that the cable can be rewired or a special one brought but I still think that it's crap that Korg and other software companies aren't addressing XP, but then I also think that it's crap that Microsoft have flooded the market (preloaded from PC World in my case - and they don't wanna know either) with an OS that just isn't compatable with so much existing software and hardware...it doesn't even recognize my trusty old Omega Zip drive.

A nice stable OS with lots of great features potentially but 2 out of 10 overall.

I've personally given up now and going back to 98 until the XP thing gets sorted.

#18360 - 03/24/02 03:25 AM Re: Korg Dinasours
slr-online Offline

Loc: England
Without wishing to cause a storm here, but:

Should it not be Mr Gates's job to get these things talking to each other??

Why should the Music Manufacturers shell out loads of cash developing more 'workarounds'
every year Mr Gates wants to release a new OS??

I also use XP but there is no way I would pan Korg because Gates can't get his act together.
Frustrating though, so I do sympathise with you.

[This message has been edited by slr-online (edited 03-24-2002).]

#18361 - 03/24/02 06:31 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
BassZn Offline

Right attitude...What is Bill doing tonight - maybe in his easy chair??

We are all victims of Bill's monopoly thing. Definately a pain for Korg..'cause they said so.

You are good at what you do..we all try to be - but - Bill is no doubt pissing himself laughing at our dependancy at about to rule the planet...or maybe just ordering a pizza..I don't know?!!

As performers and writers etc...we accept the technology at our peril.

Did I tell you about the Greek farmer I met who had 14 chickens and a few sheep but no electric and only a well for water?!!

Well, it made me think about things anyway.

Unloading XP this week and going back to 98...and kind of wishing I was that Greek farmer.

#18362 - 03/24/02 06:31 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
BassZn Offline

Right attitude...What is Bill doing tonight - maybe in his easy chair??

We are all victims of Bill's monopoly thing. Definately a pain for Korg..'cause they said so.

You are good at what you do..we all try to be - but - Bill is no doubt pissing himself laughing at our dependancy at about to rule the planet...or maybe just ordering a pizza..I don't know?!!

As performers and writers etc...we accept the technology at our peril.

Did I tell you about the Greek farmer I met who had 14 chickens and a few sheep but no electric and only a well for water?!!

Well, it made me think about things anyway.

Unloading XP this week and going back to 98...and kind of wishing I was that Greek farmer.

#18363 - 03/24/02 06:34 PM Re: Korg Dinasours
BassZn Offline

sorry about the double post..another XP clitch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online