SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#183029 - 04/09/03 07:11 PM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Glenn...
As you saw when you visted, MP3 is my choice. For a couple of years I used the minidisc...but navigation was more difficult, the player took up more space than I would have liked and, frankly, tweaking quality of sound when recording was a major task...at least for me.

I don't have a laptop...but that may be in the future based on some of the posts I have seen.
Eddie

#183030 - 04/10/03 01:55 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Whilst I don't use MP3's for this purpose the minimun bearable bitrate for my ears is 128.

#183031 - 04/10/03 04:58 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I used MD's since they came out, and switched to MP3 on a laptop. My MD player has as jog wheel that lets you search for a new title while one is already playing. Without THAT feature, I wouldn't be able to use one effectivly.

The laptop has made it possible to incorporate SMF, MP3 and WAV all at my fingertips, and life is so much easier now.

Sometimes, a client will hand me a CD during a show ... I pop it in.

Sometimes, I am playing for a family group and we're all having a ball untill some of the little kids get restless ... I switch to MP3's of their tunes for a bit ..

Sometimes, I need to put out more sound than my "two handed" arrangements will allow, so I kick into SMF mode and play on top of larger, more powerful arrangemets.

It's all a question of "What is needed, WHEN"

Having all the formats in one unit is a great advantage, and I've said before - the laptop provides light, lyrics and break tunes ...... what else do you need?

#183032 - 04/10/03 06:06 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
trtjazz Offline

If you want to use mps, you should have a look at the Thompson mp3 program.
http://www.mp3licensing.com/index.html

At 128kbs it is about 1/3 the size of a standard 64kbs mp3 file but at 2x's the quality. This is a very good program and I use it.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#183033 - 04/10/03 06:21 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
...so I kick into SMF mode and play on top of larger, more powerful arrangemets.

Good morning,

So when you guys play your SMF's from the laptop, do you send the midi signal to your keyboard so that it is still the tone generator (vs. the soundcard of the laptop)?

Thanks.

mike

#183034 - 04/10/03 08:14 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike I usually midi into my G1000 as a sound source, but occassionally I will use the Roland wave table in my laptop. It sounds very good[SC88h], better than others[XG50] to me. Although the G1000 is much better, particully the drums,brass etc..

#183035 - 04/10/03 08:35 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
Dnj Offline

To add to what Fran said, by having the sound card in the laptop you now have a great backup in case your Kb goes down on a gig too. Just play the SMF and sing along to get you thru the gig.

#183036 - 04/10/03 09:40 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
What do you laptop users recommend. Processor speed, RAM, HD Memory? And any other add ons and tips for a novice in this area?

Do you access files via mouse or keypad? How do you position laptop for easy access without being too visible by the audience?
Eddie

#183037 - 04/10/03 10:02 AM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The way I designed my stand, the laptop sits about 1 inch above the keyboard, and off to the left of the screen. It's well below the line of sight, and while it IS in plain view of my audience .... I try not to stare at it. I only look at it to decide what comes next, or the occasional lyric for a new song that's not yet commited to memory.
I don't disguise the fact that I am digitally enhanced. Only a fool would think that all the sound I produce comes from two hands, so mostly everyone expects to see some sort of computer-aided device. The only major drawback is that most people also know that the pc can be used as a Karaoke device, so they are always comming behind me to look for the words. They are always dissapointed to find out that they can't just join in. (pity)
I hope Donny can post a picture for you soon, because I just can't imagine getting to that progect. My life is still in a whirlwind, and I can't fit anymore tasks into my schedule. Kate had to come home from school today because she's got a majot headache and certain "female only" ailments. Since her experiment with the Tylenol factory, she can have NO medications of ANY kind, so she's in alot of discomfort. This No-Meds policy lasts for a few months to purge her system of all attachment to the drug. Poor kid - she's always had a hard time with these issues in the past, but now, she can't even take an asprin.

#183038 - 04/10/03 12:50 PM Re: Backing Tracks - MP3 or MD?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I totaly agree with Fran regarding MP3's, They sound great!
I have the excact same setup and use it every night with no problems. Today if your not using a Laptop on stage for Mp3's, CD's, SMF songs, Lyrics, your working too hard, its a nessesity for performance, plus a solid Backup... IMO.

I'm concerned about you guys in NJ . dano

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online