SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#182689 - 04/28/06 01:28 PM USB-MIDI Musings
Rickideemus Offline

OK, I THINK I know the answers to these questions, but I just have to be sure, cause I'm scratching some pretty cool keyboards off my list on account of this.

My belief is that a keyboard with a USB-MIDI port is sending MIDI signals based on some code contrived by the keyboard manufacturer. Is that correct? So the keyboard maker could easily construct a USB to MIDI converter so the keyboard could then be used as a controller for other MIDI equipment (assuming it doesn't already have regular MIDI IN/OUT ports). Right?? But a third party manufacturer would have to crack the code to make such a converter. Correctomundo???

The new Yamaha YPG-625 will be crippled in this fashion. It will have a USB-MIDI port but no regular MIDI IN/OUT. This is a better kbd than most people realize. It has tinny speakers -- but many pro kbs have no speaker at all. It has better sounds than most people realize, and 32 voice polyphony and 5 track sequencing is really OK for this type of machine. It's really the lack of real MIDI that makes this keyboard a "toy" rather than a serious musical tool.

It would cost them little more -- pennies perhaps -- to put real MIDI on the YPG line. (A DGX-500 costs no more than a DGX-505.) If they substituted real MIDI for USB-MIDI, it would also guarantee more sales for their MIDI to USB converters. The only reason for leaving out real MIDI is to cut their users off from the whole world of MIDI applications, and avoid competition with their own professional keyboards. A user might be forced to pay $1,000 more to get a pro kbd with similar features and MIDI. Sure, he'd get a sampler in the deal, but some serious musicians don't give a fig about sampling.

Anyone think there's a chance Yamaha will come out with a Yamaha-USB to real MIDI converter? Anyone think another company might come out with one, just to mess over Yamaha??

Suppose you had a work station, like a Roland GW-7, with a USB-MIDI port on it. Any chance you could hook THAT up to the USB-MIDI on a DGX-625 to use the 625 as a controller? Or is that hopelessly wishful tinkin??

Rick

#182690 - 04/28/06 01:58 PM Re: USB-MIDI Musings
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rick, there is no secret codes to USB...USB is a standard..The problem lies with software programs or poor[partial] OS to transfer data...
In almost all cases USB will be designed to transfer data to a computer[software/drivers have to be installed]..where as Keyboards [most]are not possible to run drivers other than data transfer to a driver device[computer or computer based keyboards]..

#182691 - 04/29/06 10:29 AM Re: USB-MIDI Musings
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
Rick, there is no secret codes to USB...USB is a standard..

Yes, I know that. But the standard just tells how bytes are transferred electronically. There are thousands of ways MIDI (parallel) bytes can be mapped onto the serial USB bytes. There is no standard for that.

Quote:
In almost all cases USB will be designed to transfer data to a computer[software/drivers have to be installed]..where as Keyboards [most]are not possible to run drivers other than data transfer to a driver device[computer or computer based keyboards]..

So you put the drivers (very, very simple drivers!) in the interface. Yamaha could certainly do this if they chose to. You'd need a little chip, which it probably would have anyway. But you don't need a whole Windows OS on the interface. It shouldn't add more than $10 to the deal.

Rick

#182692 - 05/01/06 03:51 AM Re: USB-MIDI Musings
Rickideemus Offline

Here is an email I sent to Tamaha's "infostation." It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

---------------

Dear Yamaha,

I am in the market for a portable digital piano in the $800 range. It has been quite an education. I have compared the Casio Privia PX-555R with your DGX-505 at the Guitar Center in Lake Forest. I much prefer the instrument sounds on your 505 (especially the winds!). But as a classical pianist, of course I greatly prefer the weighted hammer action on the Privia. So I was quite excited to see that you're coming out with a weighted action version of the DGX-505 in June -- the YPG-625.

However, I am informed by some serious synth guys that the YPG-625 will not have a real MIDI IN/OUT interface, and this will make it impossible to use the YPG-625 as a controller without setting up a computer as host. Therefore, sad to say, I'm probably going to have to choose the Privia. I really wanted the option to use a tone module on gigs with my keyboard without having to lug around a laptop. I am also starting to look at cheap keyboard controllers that I could hook up to a tone module such as your MU15 or a Roland E-09.

Can you possibly tell me if my reasoning is wrong? Can you tell my why the decision was made to go with a USB port instead of the more flexible MIDI IN/OUT connectors? If there is a reasonable explanation, I will post it on some of the bulletin boards devoted to keyboards and synths. It may well have an impact on other musician's buying decisions.

Sincerely,
real name

#182693 - 05/06/06 06:10 AM Re: USB-MIDI Musings
Rickideemus Offline

Response from Yamaha:

I thought it was nice of them to respond. As expected, substantial answers are not forthcoming. ;-}

------------------

[Hi Real],

The fact is that the YPG625 will have a USB interface only. Does that mean that this instrument is not suitable for your application? From your letter, it would seem so, but maybe not. The sound set that's available in the YPG625 is, in most respects, superior to that of the MU15. I would never recommend that a YPG625 customer might benefit from buying a MU15. I don't know what a Roland E-09 sounds like, but if it is similar to the MU15, you probably don't need it. Before you write off the YPG625, you should probably try it. "Serious synth guys" probably need MIDI connections, but the YPG625 is not the right choice for a serious synth guy for many reasons. Regarding why the engineers designed it without MIDI jacks, I'm afraid we will have to live without the answer to that question. I am not privvy to the whys of their decisions, nor will an answer be forthcoming if I should ask.

Regards,

[His Name]

Yamaha Customer Support

#182694 - 05/06/06 10:45 AM Re: USB-MIDI Musings
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I thought it was a very honest reply..

#182695 - 05/06/06 11:36 AM Re: USB-MIDI Musings
Rickideemus Offline

Absolutely! And the fact that the engineers don't talk to their PR people about the whys and wherefores indicates the answers might cause a public relations problem, which bears out my premise.

It's good business to withhold technology to maximize profits at certain price points -- until the competition forces you to do otherwise. It's also good business not to explain why you're doing that.

This next year should be interesting. Lighter and cheaper hammer action, along with lighter and cheaper amp/speaker combinations. Witness the P70. The whole price structure is collapsing.

Rick

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online