SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#182141 - 03/12/02 02:54 AM Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I have a keyboard (an old Roland Juno-106). I have seen all these wonderful arranger keyboards, and I was wondering, if there is any way, to turn my old keyboard into an arranger keyboard by using some special software for the PC?

If that's possible, what software should I buy?

(I hope I've understood the term "arranger keyboard" correctly, meaning "a keyboard that when you press the low c-key, it plays a groove/style in c-major with drums, bass, keyboard etc).

#182142 - 03/12/02 04:38 AM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The fastest, cheapest way is Jammer Live. I saw it at Guitar Center this week for $29 bucks ! (Or was it $59?)
That's an easy way to get into it, but there are also many older model's that are slow sellers that you can buy for a "song".
For example - I can sell you a brand new (old stock) Roland E36 that has 61 keys, styles, sounds and speakers for $200.
In todays world of features, it's a dog, but the basics are all there. Plenty of styles to cover most genres of music, and it's portable and self-contained. It's just a thought.
The cheap route is Jammer Live.

#182143 - 03/12/02 09:17 AM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
what about Band In a Box ?
I've never used it though, just heard about it.

Claude

#182144 - 03/12/02 11:01 AM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Claude,
unfortunately Band in a Box is not a real time arranger; you have to type all the chords before (via computer keyboard) then, when the song is complete, you can save it and hear what you have programmed, but you are stuck to the same chord progression unless you change it (again via computer keyboard). However, you can change the style (i.e. from Swing to Bossa or whatever you want) and the Tempo, but that's all; after a while it becomes pretty boring, especially because the styles are not exactly thrilling. The definition of "canned music" is appropriate, in my opinion.

#182145 - 03/12/02 11:05 AM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate that! I guess i'll just continue enjoying the VA7 then
Cheers,

Claude

#182146 - 03/12/02 11:33 AM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
That's not bad at all, Claude.

#182147 - 03/12/02 12:44 PM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
There are something here at this link, but if it is usable, I don't know:
http://www.xdigits.com/midi/rmca.html

Quoted from the site:

RMCA Pro is an auto-accompaniment software for Windows® 32-Bit systems which offers all major features of a high quality MIDI keyboard.

It comes with chord recognition, based auto arranger with style creator and editor, recording section, about 30 demo styles, up to 16 "fingered" and 10 "two-finger" chord types, MIDI-Import/Export and much more. Songs can be recorded in real time, using the computer keyboard, a virtual keyboard, chordpads or an external MIDI controller, and can be reproduced with hundreds of free downloadable different RCS styles.

Other unique features of RMCA Pro are its ability to create an accompaniment style from virtually any MIDI input (MIDI file or live music) and its melody-Ad Lib function that allows even the inexperienced keyboarder to play and improvise in any key

GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 03-12-2002).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#182148 - 03/12/02 09:42 PM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
If you need the auto accomp for real time playing, then you'll need a program like Jammer Live or RMCA. If you only need it for composing, than I would consider stepping up to Jammer Pro or going with Band in a Box, especially if you'll want to create your own styles ( I don't think you can on Jammer Live ).. I have both of the latest versions and like Jammer a whole lot better for a good bit of what I do. Used to it's full capacity it's much less canned sounding and the styles are generated by algorithimic patterns and can vary a lot from bar to bar if you'd like them to, but BIAB is better as a teaching aid for those who might want or need to learn a little more about music.

There are differing features and approaches with each of those two. BIAB has more options to purchase more additional styles. Version 11 adds some new features for style creation. In BIAB though, basically you'll need to record pieces either by step recording or real time recording if you want to make up your own styles. You can also import small pieces of midi files into it that canbe added into a new or modified style. It does not have a traditional sequencer though, ( you cannot import pieces or whole midi files in it to play alongside with the styles), but it does have a few interesting features that Jammer Pro does not. There is also much more company and user after market support for it than there is for Jammer pro.

In Jammer Pro you can either step enter notes for new styles or allow it's very complex algorithim style edit function to do it for you. Or you can use a combination of both. there is no facility for real time recording to make new styles, but you can use real time or step recording via it's sequencer to add any parts you'd like to independent of the styles. You can also import midi files into it and then mix and match or delete parts of the midi file and replace them with custom Jammer made parts.

Jazz sequencer is a freeware program ( used to be commercial ) that works very nicely also for creating rythym patterns in jazz and other styles.

You can download demo versions of Jammer, BIAB, RMCA pro, and a few other useful composition programs over at Hitsquad or one of the other music download sites. I either still have or have tried and discarded nearly every program out there that allows for accompaniment creation, so if you do decide to go the trial version route and I can be of any help, feel free to email me. I'm not quite as in tune with the real time auto accomp programs, but I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. My addy is on my profile.

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-12-2002).]

#182149 - 03/13/02 10:22 PM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
There are links to software like this on the Accompaniment & Style Software page at Synth Zone

You will of course have to use your soundcard in your PC for sound and the Juno 106 as a MIDI controller. The Juno 106 came before multitimbral synths of course so can't be the sound source. But your PC sound card should be able to provide GM sounds for instrument playback. And the Juno 106 will be fine for MIDI control.

#182150 - 03/14/02 06:33 AM Re: Making keyboard into arranger keyboard by using arranger software!?
BlueSuede Offline

Cubase is shipped with a module called "Styletrax". This is nothing less than a software arranger. You control chords, variations, fills and everything in realtime.

Regards, Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online