Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182065 - 10/25/06 04:47 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I thought I remember seeing posts by you that it took some experimenting to find a GM mono piano voice that was good enough to your ears to use after doctoring that sound and that you couldn't use the stereo phased Grand Piano sound. Or did I dream that

One of my biggest grips with all keyboards is the grand piano sound. Wile I consider the ones Yamaha uses as default, they just never seemed full enough for my personal taste. That's why I went to work and created my own grand piano voice using the PSR-3000's onboard software. It has been downloaded several thousand times by a lot of other folks, and many now use it as their default piano voice. I never had a problem with phase cancellation--I just wanted a better piano sound, thus the post you read several months ago.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#182066 - 10/25/06 08:52 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, the first night with the G70 was acceptable. At first, the headwaiter told me there wasn't enough low-end, so I cranked it up.
Then it met with his approval.
Later on a regular came in and sort of did a double-take and began listening intently. After the song (Honky-tonk Women) he came up and told me he loved the new sound, and that the drums and bass sounded fuller and more live than usual. He didn't have any reason to know I was playing something different except he was used my T2 sound.
I couldn't record anything because I broke my Creative Labs Jukebox 3 recorder. The hardware on the input pushed inside the recorder so I couldn't plug it in.
I do have another one just like it, so I'll try again next time.
DonM

#182067 - 10/25/06 09:55 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don ... read this too late to wish you luck, but I KNEW your talent would rise to the occasion ....
t.

#182068 - 10/25/06 12:55 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Dnj Offline

Thanx Don.....but what did you personaly think?

#182069 - 10/25/06 01:22 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I,too, am very curious on your night with the G70....You can read all you want about keyboards which is better, which is bigger, etc.etc... But when a seasoned musician works it at a gig, they have first hand experience

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#182070 - 10/25/06 02:33 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

Well, I liked it better than I expected. I have to adjust the amount of reverb on some of the sounds, particularly Grand X Piano. I was at Hank's today and played his other G70, and his lead sounds were much cleaner, not drowned in reverb as much as some of mine.
I miss some of the operational functions of the Tyros 2, expecially the multipads and Break/fill.
Overall, if I didn't have to move it so much, I could use it just fine.
As I get more comfortable with it, I'll let you know more.
DonM

#182071 - 11/08/06 09:11 PM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

I was wrong about the phase cancellation. Evidently when I hooked it up with cables from the left out and right out into two channels on the Bose, I was using stereo cables (balanced) and that was causing the problem. I had a mixer in between, and somewhere along the line signals were getting duplicated.
Tonight I hooked up two unbalanced cables into two channels on the Bose and heard nothing but good stuff coming out.
Sure wish this G70 thing didn't weigh so much. There's a lot to like about it.
DonM

#182072 - 11/09/06 05:07 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don,

I had the opportunity to look at the DVD of the Shreveport Jam and realized why the G-70 seems so heavy to you--you got older! Your hair has changed a bit more toward white since I saw you last. I have the same problem, but every few weeks I have a serious conversation with Miss Clairol and the little hair I have left goes back to medium brown (gotta look good for those older gals). Believe it or not, you're not alone in this aspect of getting older. My Bose seems to have gained weight since last year. That 32-pound base unit felt more like 52 pounds when I lifted it on the Rock "N" Roller yesterday. Guess we both need to go back on the exercise programs and shed a few pounds.

Good luck, and I'm glad the problems have all been solved with the keyboard,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#182073 - 11/09/06 05:11 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
DonM Offline

Gary, the G70 is WAY heavier than the L1, and it's also very big. It won't fit on the stand I like to use, so have to use an x-stand.
I've sure gotten a lot of compliments on the way the G70 sounds though.
I'm losing weight again, but I have earned the grey hair. Didn't bother Kenny Rogers. I don't care about the old ladies, and Clairol won't fool the young ones!
DonM

#182074 - 11/09/06 07:57 AM Re: G70 -Bose L1 combination problem
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don , have you tried the guitar mode on the job..If so, what do you think?

Also, did you get use to the fill options?

Inquiring Roland minds, want to know..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online