SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#181940 - 09/30/05 01:47 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
Jupiter4 Offline

Squeak, I have been thinking about my hiphop question and your assertion that you need an MPC or similar. The MPC is just a sampler and the Korg has a sampling option, you can construct your own kits and sounds, and is therefore the same (apart from the Akai filters and aledged 'swing' of the unit) or am I missing something here? Thanks

#181941 - 09/30/05 07:17 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The MPC is a sampler, but it's going to give you WAY more options for sampling as compared to the Korg. With the MPC you can construct kits as well, and load in tons of samples and trigger them all with pads. There's a lot to the MPC. They are essential in HipHop production as a "hardware" unit. You can go software if you choose, but if you want the portable set up you'll need an MPC. There's also the new MPC-1000. Cheaper version of the big dog.

E-Mu actually had a BEAST for HipHop, that could be controlled via the pads or an external midi keyboard. I can't remember the model number though. There were severl models in the line. They all had the same design but differnt colors, and each one was geared for something different. I'll try and find that model number.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#181942 - 09/30/05 07:19 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
From what I have gathered, people who do hip-hop love the MC 2000 (or newer models by Akai) because it enables them to sample bits of music and assign each sample to a different pad. Then, tapping on the pads, they say they can come out with interesting results.
This could be done with a Roland Fantom X as well, but they say that the Akai has a different groove, which is impossible to emulate with other samplers.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 09-30-2005).]

#181943 - 09/30/05 07:28 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

E-Mu actually had a BEAST for HipHop, that could be controlled via the pads or an external midi keyboard. I can't remember the model number though. There were severl models in the line. They all had the same design but differnt colors, and each one was geared for something different. I'll try and find that model number.

Squeak

Squeak, I think it was the SP-12: it was famous for the grittiness of the sound, due to the 12 bit resolution of the sampler; too bad that EMU never expanded the RAM memory, making it less practical for today's music productions.

#181944 - 09/30/05 07:49 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
Jupiter4 Offline

Yes the SP12 was and is revered by hiphop artists. The MPC has a groove to it that other sequencers do not have - I do not know if this is a subjective or objective opinion though. Other than that it is just a sampler with trigger pads and a sequencer, bought by the hiphop guys, many of whom were not musicians, as it was the only thing that did it at the time and Akai had become the industry standard in sampling not because they were the best but because they were the first cheap sampler that took off, just the same as ADAT. So as the PA1X does have a sampler and a sequencer that hiphop sound seems to be in reach if you can get the groove right - the sound creation obviously not being a problem either - shame that there are no decent hiphop styles bu that it wad the MC909, Korg Electribe series is all about. Commercially it might not make sense for these products to overlap too much so that they can sell more product. (I have an MC909 - and I am buying an arranger - ooops fell foul of their corporate strategy!)

#181945 - 09/30/05 08:02 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
squeak_D Offline

No it wasn't the SP-12. I think the Model was called the E-Mu MP-7. It was an awsome model! Plus it didn't just have touch sensitive trigger pads, but the pads also had "aftertouch". I think their was also a ribbon controller. It was a great unit.

The MPC's are very popular for HipHop artists. Yeah some can say they're not musicians, but I have to disagree. Sure there are those who just take pre-recorded loops an samples, chop them up, mix them around and call it their own. However, there are a lot of good HipHop artists who are musicians. They create and write their own loops on a synth, and then transfer those loops to an MPC because the MPC is beast of a sampler and will allow them to do way more than their internal samplers on their keyboards.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#181946 - 09/30/05 08:10 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
Jupiter4 Offline

Squeak, I meant that they were not musicians in the traditional sense ie they cannot play a traditional instrument and this was one of the rationals behind the MPC. I agree that these days there are more instruuments that have different/more modern interfaces and that anyone who can work the interface can be called a musician regardless if it is an SP404 or a Steinway. PS have done some programming on the PA1X and you can get some great synth sounds - very urban. Have not tried to edit the drums yet but think that will be MC909 territory.

#181947 - 09/30/05 10:22 AM Re: Korg or Roland?
squeak_D Offline

Here's a link with an indepth information regarding the MP-7.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov01/articles/emucomm.asp

Squeak

#181948 - 10/02/05 03:33 PM Re: Korg or Roland?
Jupiter4 Offline

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/v...4e2f364d#105836

Squeak you have got to listen to this Hiphop sample made on an arranger! It is certainly of the style and tSharp has used some innovative tricks to pull this off.

#181949 - 10/02/05 04:39 PM Re: Korg or Roland?
squeak_D Offline

Not bad. It appears this was done on a Korg PA1X. Personally That's the only arranger ( that I) would consider the best to use for HipHop. The sound engine is Triton based (way more suited for the style than Yamaha or Roland arrangers). Did he import his loop into the sampler of the PA1X (does it have this feature?)

I remember on my old Yamaha EX-7 I could record my own drum loop under the pattern sequencer, I could then enter the sampling mode and (sample internally), by bringing that loop into the sampler and then slicing and editing the hell out of it

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-02-2005).]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online