SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#181743 - 07/08/06 08:46 PM constructing a web page
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Okay, it's not strictly keyboard talk but I'd like to build myself a web page. Does anyone have any ideas where I could find something online to help me do this?

Please bear in mind that I'm a total duffer at this sort of thing, so it would have to be a kind of dumbed down version of websites-for-dummies, if you get my drift.

Thanks.

#181744 - 07/08/06 09:23 PM Re: constructing a web page
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I learned as I went using Yahoo Site Builder. No HTML, relatively easy all things considered and they have 24/7 phone support. It costs me $11.95/mo and the gigs I have gotten from it have paid for that charge many times over.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/?p=PASSPORT

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#181745 - 07/08/06 09:37 PM Re: constructing a web page
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I just happened to check my web site and on my computer noticed that the borders on the left and right are the blue background instead of the black and navigation bars on the left and my pic on the right which is supposed to be like a frame on the outside edges.

I'm wondering if it's the way my computer is set, or if I didn't update the site builder like I thought I did.

Could someone tell me what you are seeing on your computer so I can adjust whatever it is I need to?

Thanx
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-08-2006).]

#181746 - 07/09/06 02:21 AM Re: constructing a web page
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I used register.com to reserve my domain name
Register.com depending on the package you purchase (I pay a yearly fee of $149)gives you some built in tools and templates to get your website uploaded. Currently, I have a basic site that was not too difficult to construct. The design I'm using is OK, but needs work. I just haven't had the time to get it done.

I would definitely look at the Yahoo site Scott talks about that one sounds like an good one to work with as well.

Scott, I checked your site using both Firefox and Internet Explorer, they look exactly as you describe in both browsers.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-09-2006).]

#181747 - 07/09/06 06:02 AM Re: constructing a web page
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Thank you, Scott and Stephen, for your quick replies. I'll have a look at that Yahoo thing - that's a very nice looking page, Scott.

BTW, your page looked just fine on my computer (via Internet Explorer). The navigation buttons are down the left-hand side and your pic's on the right. I'm just going to dig a little further.

Thanks again, renig.

#181748 - 07/09/06 06:08 AM Re: constructing a web page
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

The website loooks fine on my computer, but it will look differently on someone's computer using a different resolution setting. This is mainly due to the way you have set up the pages using pixels instead of percentages.

Essentially, when a page is set up in pixel format, lower resolution settings on a person's computer will create larger images that will require scrolling to see the entire page. When the page is set up in percentages, everyone, regardless of their resolution, sees the same thing.

It will take a fair amount of work to change this using the program you used to create the pages, but it can be done. If you click on View at the top of your browser, then click on Page Source, you will see the codes used to create the pages. Click on this page, for example, and you will see next to Width "100%", which means the page width is 100 percent of the screen width. On your page is is pixels.

I created my website using Dreamweaver, which is the same program used to create PSR-Tutorial's site. It's a great program, but very expensive.

As for my domain host, I use Network Solutions , which is a subsidary of Verisign. It only cost $34.99 per year.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#181749 - 07/09/06 06:15 AM Re: constructing a web page
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
renig, it would help if you would describe here what you want on your site. Better yet, describe what you would like to get out of a site.

Are you computer phobic or do you consider yourself fairly adept in using common computer programs?

Do you want audio on site?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#181750 - 07/09/06 06:56 AM Re: constructing a web page
Dnj Offline

This is what I use as a host
http://www.ipowerweb.com/

I built my website with DREAMWEAVER great program!
http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

under Gary's supervision

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online