SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181443 - 01/22/04 06:33 AM Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK folks - I finally got it on my site. You can visit www.daveboydmusic.com and see pics of my new setup with the kn7k and the bose. You'll also see my custom laptop/mic boom rig and if you venture into the "songs" page, you can hear the manhatten transfer treatment of "A Nightingale Sang in Berkely Square".

My web guy did this all last night, and some of the descriptions are incorrect under the pics, but you'll get the idea!

The "Nightingale" song was done with the digitech VR in real time with no overdubs, playing the 9000PRO as piano/bass/drums only. (Manual bass)

Hope you like it. I have a loud "sssss" sounmd that I want to edit out, but haven't gotten 'round to it yet. Be kind.

#181444 - 01/22/04 06:46 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Dnj Offline

Nice Job Dave on a great tune......

Does this mean your "Keepng" the Bose system?

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#181445 - 01/22/04 07:54 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The "Nightingale" song was done with the digitech VR

The Digitech VR sounds pretty good (and imo similar sounding to the Digitech Vocalist Workstation Ex), but I'm wondering how it compares to the TC Helicon Voice Works. I recall you mentioning that the TC Helicon VoiceWorks sounds better. What differences in sound quality do you notice?

I just purchased the TC Helicon VoiceWorks unit but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I hope to find time (this weekend or Monday) after I get back from celebrating the Chinese New Year with my family.

Uncle Dave, in the meantime, realizing that you own both the Digitech VR & TC Helicon Voiceworks units (right?), any chance you could record a short A/B comparison test between the two units, and post the results, so we can hear the difference?

Scott

#181446 - 01/22/04 09:15 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Uncle Dave Offline

Well...... I no longer own the TC harmonizer. I sold it B4 Christmas, so an A/B sound byte is out of the question.
Here's my findings:
1) The TC has a superior effects section
(not so important for live work)
2) The TC had a cleaner signal
(again, more noticable in a studio setting)
3) The TC took up 2 rack spaces .... I prefer the smaller, 1 space unit. I bought the Quintet late last year but could not use a conventional footswitch to trigger the harmonies, so I returned it.

The benifits for live work were marginal, so I stuck with the Digitech. Through a PA system, the difference would be pretty minimal, but in a controlled, studio envirnment, you'll appreciate the quieter signal from the TC.

#181447 - 01/22/04 09:23 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
)
3) The TC took up 2 rack spaces .... I prefer the smaller, 1 space unit.

UD, hmmm , my TC 'VoiceWorks' unit only takes up 'one' space. Was your TC vocalizer unit by any chance the 'Voice Prism'?

Though I haven't made any kind of decision yet, I'll plan to stick with the 'built in' Tyros vocalizer for live work and reserve the TC 'VoiceWorks' for studio recording. I'll let you know my impression of the 'VoiceWorks' soon. - Scott

#181448 - 01/22/04 09:37 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
Yup - I had a voice prisym(sp?)
That unit took a normal on/on F/S but was too big to fit in my rack. It also has a nasty habit of shutting off during program changes. Something I couldn't deal with on stage. I like to change the harmonies from unison to 4 parts ...... like the Letterman did.

#181449 - 01/22/04 10:03 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
UD,
Very nice indeed. I was actually in Berkeley Square last year ( and had tea at the Ritz though I saw no angels Very nice it was too.)

I used to own the VR. Sold it on when I fast came to the conclusion that if what is going in is not up to par then what comes out definately will not be! In the right hands I think harmonisers can sound amazing but if you don't have a strong voice to start with ALL the flaws in your performance will be amplified to excrutiating proportions.

Of course I still have not learned my lesson. (that would be far to easy ) I am contemplating still the purchase of a TC unit. Ever hopeful of that elusive ingredient to transform my vocals.

Anyhow I enjoyed your Mp3 very much.
One quick question, In the pic the Bose has just the one speaker and the sub (unless my eyes are failing along with everything else!). Is this the setup or are there two seperate speakers?

Very best to you
Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony W (edited 01-22-2004).]

#181450 - 01/22/04 10:16 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Uncle Dave Offline

Tony,
The system as pictured is complete with one woofer. A second bass speaker is an expanded package and I'll most likely go for it because it will balance out the power ratings. The 3 amps provide 250 watts each, and i suspect that the bass amp is not at full power with only one woofer.

As is .... it still kicks some serious butt !

#181451 - 01/22/04 10:17 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony W:
In the right hands I think harmonisers can sound amazing but if you don't have a strong voice to start with ALL the flaws in your performance will be amplified to excrutiating proportions.

Tony you hit it right on the head my friend from across the pond!!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#181452 - 01/22/04 10:55 AM Re: Bose pic on the job, and harmonizer demo
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
UD..which link or page shows us the BOSE in action. The only pic(s) I found were of you at Big Ed's, and the other with a beautiful young lady...?
Just wunderin'...am I missing sumpthin' ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online