SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#181242 - 02/19/04 07:30 AM Another Bose PAS Test
Richard Peck Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I got a message from Scott Yee regarding my newly acquired Bose system. His principal area of interest was how the grand piano sounded. His concern centered around some phase problems he’d encountered with some of his other systems. He asked me to try several things and thought others on the zone may have the same question..

He was interested in how I had my system set at the moment. I told him I was feeding the right and left output from my Tyros into channels 1 and 2 on the Bose. He asked me to disconnect one channel and then the other to see if I heard a difference. I did this and could not hear any noticeable differences.

Here’s what I did and what I found.

First I took the touch sensitivity off so the sound would be at the same level. Then I set the channel equalizer to a flat response. The system amplifier has many different presets depending on the instrument being played. In this case I set the preset at 42 which is the setting for the Hohner Clavinet D6.

I then set the Tryos Master Volume to Max and set the Bose to 2 on a scale of +1 to +12. Each channel was disconnected at the amplifier and I listened to hear how the piano sounded at each octave.

I’m not a piano tuner but the output from the Tyros through the Bose system seemed to my ear to faithfully reproduce the percussive sounds of the piano, from the initial striking of the hammer on the strings to the tailing off of sound after the initial key strike.

After trying several pianos I tried the principal instrument in each sound group, brass, woodwinds, etc. In my humble opinion all the instruments sounded good through the system.

As I’m still learning about this new approach to amplified sound I’m sure there are many things yet to be discovered. In any case I feel it is IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER, what may sound good to me, might sound bad to someone else.

Have a great day!

rp

#181243 - 02/19/04 10:15 AM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Richard, many thanks for performing the comparison test for me. As was discussed on this forum previously:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/005061.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/005808.html

when going out a Yamaha PSR/Tyros keyboard via its single (mixed: L/R) output to a single PA speaker input, keyboard voices which utilize stereo effects (ei: 'Grand Piano' voice) sound severely compromised because of 'phase cancelation' The resulting sound sound is thin, brittle, and harsh. On the other hand, going out the PSR/Tyros keyboard 'R' output only, to a single PA speaker input sounds better, even though it's missing the L channel portion of the sound.

Richard: I found it surprising to discover that you hear 'no difference' thru the Bose PAS between the different audio output cabling configurations as outlined below:

1) Tyros L/R (mixed) 'single output only' to one Bose PAS input
2) Tyros R (right) 'single output only' to one Bose PAS input
3) Tyros L/R & R outputs (discrete stereo) to two Bose PAS inputs

Richard, when performing the mixed 'single L/R Tyros output only' portion of the test, did you remember to completely 'disconnect' the cable from the Tyros 'R' output jack? This is important, as the 'L/R' output on the Tyros only functions as a 'mixed (left and right) signal output when no cable is plugged into the 'R' channel.

Uncle Dave, in hopes you haven't shipped your Tyros out to its new owner (DonM congratulations ) yet, I'm hoping you could perform this test and provide your feedback as well, especially in light of the fact that Tony Mads performed a similar test on his KN6000 and found that he was able to avoid the phase cancellation problem when going out his kb in true stereo (two separate output cables) into a single mono PA speaker, but which accepts two inputs. Unfortunately my EVSxA100's support only a single input so I wasns't able to test this configuration with my Yamaha Tyros or PSR2000. I'm trying to determine if the mixed L/R output problem is unique to Yamaha & their stereo efx produced sounds or not.

Scott

#181244 - 02/19/04 11:00 AM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
Richard Peck Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Hi Scott,

I did disconnect the cables completely for the test. Actually I tried every combination I could think of. It will be interesting to see what Uncle Dave comes up with. Maybe I missed something along the way.

rp

#181245 - 02/19/04 12:37 PM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Perhaps the reason Richard found no difference betwixt the different configurations is that the Bose PAS is a revolutionary product that doesn't neccessarily comply or conform to the limitations of previous or current technology, eg., Motion Sound, etc., etc. So it indeed may be possible to use just one Bose PAS setup and still achieve excellent results. The benefits of Stereo is of course the different effects that can be acheived that cannot be acheived with a Mono setup, eg., Pan, added ambience, and a true stereo effect.

Best regards,
Mike

#181246 - 02/19/04 01:40 PM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sorry Scott, the Ty is on it's way to Cajun country !
I refuse to believe that you can't make a good sound, sound BETTER in this Bose PA. Stereo or not ...... it just does a great job. I've used it both ways now and the difference is marginal, at best. It affects ME much more than it does the crowd.

If Yamaha pianos sound that bad in mono, then they are sampled badly. Every mix I do in my studio is A/B compared with Stereo and Mono. With the proper EQ and levels ..... a stereo sample should sound just fine in mono. So far, even at close range, there is no cancellation from the Twin Bose system. It spreads the sound all over and it sounds awesome in every nook and cranny.

#181247 - 02/19/04 01:46 PM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
It affects ME much more than it does the crowd.

This is a powerful and very true statement Dave has made here, read it over & over and take time to ponder it....we are too hard on ourself regarding sound.....which can hurt more then help the situation.

#181248 - 02/19/04 02:14 PM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Mike, the Motion Sound keyboard amps do NOT suffer from any 'phase cancellation' problems at all, as both left & right channels are kept discretely separate from source to output.

Uncle Dave, with all the high praises you're giving the Bose PAS, what are you trying to do, send me to the poor house?!

The fact that you're given the option to either: send the single mixed 'L/R' signal out from the Tyros keyboard to the PAS, or the L & R signals out 'separately' to two separate inputs on the Bose PAS sounds like one of its feature which may be possibly helping to reduce 'phase cancellation', and which is more apparent when going from my Tyros to a single EV SxA100 PA speaker, as the EV only has 'one' input.

I'm really anxious to checkout the PAS myself now , though my music budget won't allow me to actually purchase one this year.

I hope someone coming to the Synthzone gathering in May might bring a Bose PAS.

Scott

#181249 - 02/19/04 10:08 PM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
DrBill Offline

Loc: Chattanooga, TN USA
scot as an amateur player i do this mostly for relaxation and perhaps narsistic pleasure (well I guess most performers are loving their own sound). But I gathered what mostly was unwanted/outdated/dusty equipment for a $400 discount. I'll bet you have a bunch more stuff than that to trade...poor house? tax deduction?...but such RICH sound. Bill

#181250 - 02/20/04 06:14 AM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
Dnj Offline

Scott..sounds like its time to do some cleaning house & horse trading at GC.....for a PAS....ASAP.......comon Ya know ya want one too, Go For It!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-20-2004).]

#181251 - 02/20/04 09:00 AM Re: Another Bose PAS Test
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott..sounds like its time to do some cleaning house & horse trading at GC.....for a PAS....ASAP.......comon Ya know ya want one too, Go For It!!!

)

Yah Scott hurry up and buy one & let me know how you like it.

Donny you buy one to & let me know how they compare
to the Sona 32C.

Gary Diamond too please, all this talk & praise from UD is driving me nut's.
It makes me think I need the Bose system also.

If there was a GC close to me I would be there already picking up a pair of um.
Heeeeeeelp .
Denny

PS: If the Bose sound allot better then my Yamaha MS400's I would trade them in.
What to do ? What to do ? What to do ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online