Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18106 - 04/06/99 07:26 AM Advice on hooking up a Korg M1 to the PC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi
I've just recently bought a Korg M1 and
while it's great to play standalone, I know
there's so much more I could do if I got connected to a PC, i.e. recording tracks, adding in samples. I see loads of stuff on sysex etc, but don't know where to start! I have a (yes, ancient) 486 pc, the right cables and a demo copy of Cakewalk, but that's it - my pc doesn't even recognise that the Korg is attached. Oh - techies please give me a glossary of terms!!!!

Please help a new girl!!

#18107 - 04/07/99 07:28 PM Re: Advice on hooking up a Korg M1 to the PC
Gary Sommer Offline

Loc: Wheeling, IL, USA
Use Combi mode to record multi-timbral sequences by assigning different MIDI channels to the programs that make up the Combi.

You cannot add samples to a stock M1 from your PC.

You can up/download Programs, Combis, and Sequence data using a sequencer which allows sys-ex dumps (I have no idea if you Cakewalk demo will) or by using a dedicated librarian. Using an editor you can edit Programs much easier. Try editor/librarians for the PC at:
http://ciarm.ing.unibo.it/researches/m1/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/5891/index.htm

#18108 - 04/09/99 06:07 AM Re: Advice on hooking up a Korg M1 to the PC
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
If you already have your synth connected to your computer (midi in/out to midi out/in), all you should need is a sequencing package. Although I have never used a -demo-, it is my understanding that the demos are very limited and do not give you access to every parameter you need to have full sequencing capabilities...I may be wrong. I would suggest visiting your local major music store and trying out different "entry level" packages until you find the one that suits you. Cakewalk is one but ther are very many to choose from, some are less confusing than others and midi, at least initially, is confusing enough. Good luck.

#18109 - 04/09/99 10:21 AM Re: Advice on hooking up a Korg M1 to the PC
WS Offline

If you have the midi connections correct you should be able to use the cakewalk demo. You will need to go to Setup or somethink like that in Menu. Go to midi devices and assign the In and Out port. Go to Track View and hit the red record button and play a few notes. It should register on the right side of the window. I don't think the M1 is GM compatible so downloading songs from the net would do you little good unless they were recorded using an M1 and the patches that you are using.

#18110 - 04/09/99 10:21 AM Re: Advice on hooking up a Korg M1 to the PC
WS Offline

If you have the midi connections correct you should be able to use the cakewalk demo. You will need to go to Setup or somethink like that in Menu. Go to midi devices and assign the In and Out port. Go to Track View and hit the red record button and play a few notes. It should register on the right side of the window. I don't think the M1 is GM compatible so downloading songs from the net would do you little good unless they were recorded using an M1 and the patches that you are using.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online