SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#180958 - 10/19/05 03:41 AM Skype Users Beware!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Virus writers are targeting Skype users with a new Trojan that poses as the latest version of the popular VoIP software.
Net security firm MessageLabs has detected and blocked more than 800 copies of a new variant of the MyTob (AKA Fanbot) Trojan, which is being distributed by email.
The malware arrives in an attachment in messages posing as the latest (v1.4) release of Skype. Legitimate downloads of the software only came out last week, so the attack is timely. If users open the infected attachment on a vulnerable Windows machine, they will find their PCs transformed into zombie clients (theoretically at least) under the control of computer hackers.
The Moral of the story - Only obtain Program Updates from the official Skype website and ignore/delete these emails.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#180959 - 10/19/05 11:57 AM Re: Skype Users Beware!
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Good Call Willum.....thanks for the heard up
I'll be on the lookout for the e-mail and delete it when and if it comes in...I already downloaded the new version from Skype 2 days ago....
Tony Rome

#180960 - 10/19/05 12:21 PM Re: Skype Users Beware!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bill, thanks for the heads up. I will only download DIRECTLY from the Skype site: http://skype.com/products/skype/windows/

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online