SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#180805 - 05/18/06 06:46 PM Re: Newer is not always better
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

trident & Fran as you know I have NI's Bandstand. I think it sounds fairly good and NI plans to update it this year some time to deal with some of the issues you have identified, such as loading times, etc. In addition, I am hoping they will allow the user to load wavetables such as SGM180 or others. I would like to have it designed so that I can change or replace any instrument I want.

With respect to the Bandstand Honky tonk mp3 demo I think there may be some issues with respect to the midi file, your software and your equipment, e.g., hanging notes, no drums, etc. If this were properly setup you would find Bandstand a fairly good software synth for auto accompaniment only. It should be a lot better once NI updates it and fixes some of the bugs.

Also when you use M. Bedesem's MidiPlayer you can quickly modify midi or style files to suit your particular wavetable. This includes changing your drum kits (midi note numbers).

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 05-18-2006).]

#180806 - 05/18/06 09:56 PM Re: Newer is not always better
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Theo,
do you happen to know if you can alter the drum mapping in Hypersonic2?/
Probably you'd be able to edit individual drum volumes etc
But can you actually alter the mapping ie move a bass drum C1 so that it plays on C0.
Better still can you create a complete new user drumset.
Reason I ask, is you could actually create your own xg mapped set ( no hassles with wrong drums playing, you could even alter individual volumes)

If you mainly use it to play casio styles , but with hypersonic sounds, It would be far easier to create a drum set/s that match your casio.

Any idea if there's a manual that I could download??

i'm 2 hours away from a music store & I'm not even sure if they stock it. I haven't been able to find out much about it except for the demo's you made.
I'm more interested in the technical aspect of what can & can't be done, because the sounds, sound good.

I like the flexibility of soundfonts because I can create my own drum sets.

I've got 100's of Non Gm songs that would take me forever to convert to gm, so I'm better off converting my soundsource to suit the songs rather than vice versa.
Soundfonts may be my only option, but it would be interesting to know if Hypersonic could be used.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trident:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#180807 - 05/18/06 11:27 PM Re: Newer is not always better
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Frank,
there were drums in the Bandstand version, they simply were very low in volume compared to the other instruments and to have a "fair" comparison with Hypersonic2 I left the levels as they were. In the opposite, the sax was way high, didn't change that either.
I agree, Bandstand sounds good for accompaniment, definitely, and my PC is in crap state. literally. On the other hand, other softsynths don't seem to bother, only Bandstand does.

Rikki,
my Casio arranger conforms to the GM standard, so there is no use for me to do editing of any kind. I just play my arranger, and the softsynths take the midi output (along with the accompaniments) and play the sounds themselves. In a way, I have multiple better quality instruments substituting the crap internal suonds.

Give me some time and I will see about the manual.

Theodore

#180808 - 05/19/06 06:16 AM Re: Newer is not always better
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My thanks to all that participated in this thread..I think it was beneficial to all of us..

#180809 - 05/19/06 06:27 AM Re: Newer is not always better
Dnj Offline

What? no G70 coming now?

#180810 - 05/19/06 07:18 AM Re: Newer is not always better
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Donny, I guess we will have to take another famous road trip to finally check out a G70..Another 5-6 hour trip..

#180811 - 05/19/06 08:16 AM Re: Newer is not always better
Dnj Offline

KB ROAD TRIP???? Oh Yeah!!! ....just let me know & we're off baby!!!! lets check the G70 & the E80 too while we're there.......

BTW breakfast Monday?

#180812 - 05/19/06 04:50 PM Re: Newer is not always better
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
And to wrap all this nonsence up about "Newer is not always better..."

Thanks for such an interesting topic Fran.

Best regards to you

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#180813 - 05/23/06 02:08 AM Re: Newer is not always better
Heinrich Offline

trident,

interesting compasison. Bandstand vs. Hypersonic. Yes, the non-GM drums in Hypersonic do not have the complete drum-mapping with congas, bongos and stuff. Then again it seem you can combine percussion (they have special kits programmed) to go with the drum kit. Where the mapping of the drum kits end, the mappings of the percussion kit starts as if they split the keyboard in the middle. I guess this could be interestinb when you set the percussion track of your midifile to channel 9 and combine different percussion sits with different drum kits. Just a thought, I diid not have the time to try it out yet.

Still, are there any xg or psr patches for hypersonic to set up the sounds for yammie styles?

Best regards

Heinrich

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online