SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#180659 - 05/26/03 06:01 PM Anyone use a laptop for lead sheets?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I;ve seen where some are using a laptop for words but unless I missed it I haven't seen anyone mention scanning their sheet music, fake books etc and reading regular music on the screen instead of carrying a book.

I did see something designed for this for about $1000 , but come on.

If this would work I could do away with all the books, the tears etc. I guess some of you use it for mp3's etc. I don't sing, so I don't need the words.

Any ideas about this?

I would probably by some cheap laptop on ebay or something of that nature.

Thanx for input

Scott Langholff

#180660 - 05/27/03 02:13 AM Re: Anyone use a laptop for lead sheets?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I scanned approx 1000 lead sheets to my laptop.I bought a Visioneer One Touch at Office Max for around $100.I bought an IBM Thinkpad at U-Bid for around $600 that had come off lease. The reason I bought the One Touch is that it was bundled with Paperport and is excellent in organizing my music. It has a search facility better than I have ever seen.I also use the laptop for midi tracks using MidiNotate,an excellent program,downloaded for about $43. Everytime a midi is called up it notates all parts which you can tell it to prepare a lead sheet. Very good and easy.

If you need anymore info,you can email me direct as I have done the whole thing and am now travelling paperless.

Bernie

#180661 - 05/27/03 06:44 AM Re: Anyone use a laptop for lead sheets?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bernie, great job! Scanning all that music must take plenty of time. Also, how much of the song do you get on screen? I would think that scrolling might be a little tedious, esp. for multi-page sheets? What format/program do the scanned sheets go into? Word? PDF? ...

Cass

#180662 - 05/27/03 08:44 AM Re: Anyone use a laptop for lead sheets?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Cass
I am not a real wizard at the computer.I suppose I would have to say Paperport since I keep everything in that program. The program keeps track of any changes and updates the search to include any additions. A scan is 8x12 and you have +and- buttons for adjusting your view. I have a freebie named scroll that automatically scrolls long pieces at any speed you set it to. Multiple pages can be stacked(p1,2,3etc).You hit the bar on the stack and the next page comes to the front.
I have a Technics 7000 and have organized my KB panel memories to coincide precisely with my laptop program so that one touch on each brings the song up ready to play.

Scanning in the music and organizing takes a bit of time but it is worth it.

#180663 - 05/27/03 09:21 AM Re: Anyone use a laptop for lead sheets?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
WOW! Bernie, that sounds fantastic! If you have any more info, please contact me directly, as this sounds very interesting to me.

cassp@comcast.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online